Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help with dent in o/u barrel

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  birdogs 
#1 ·
Yes,

You need someone with a 'dent raiser' - two ways to do it.

Old way was a round lead plug driven through the barrel - plug was just the exact size of the barrel and would push the dent up from the inside.

New way is a hydraulic one - it is undersized for the barrel. It is placed in the barrel and then hydraulically enlarged to raise the dent.

Where are you located??

Can probably put you in touch with someone who can do it on the east coast.

#2 ·
There is an expanding mandrel which is placed in the barrel at the site of the dent and expanded while the area around the dent is struck with a hammer. This takes some time since it must be done slowly and repeatedly - expand it, tap it; expand it, tap it, etc.. When done properly, you cannot detect the repair and most often the barrel does not need to be re-blued.

#5 ·
My MX3 had the muzzle on the bottom barrel pushed in about an 1/8 of an inch when it was knocked out of the gun rack inside the club house at the Dallas Gun Club. It had a definite D shape to it. Some people are too lazy to walk around the rack to put their gun in it and instead reach over or hang their coat on their gun and then, from the other side of the rack, decide they need the coat and pull it up and over. That's probably what happened to my gun but with a clubhouse full of people nobody saw a thing. Jess Briley, who was at the shoot, repaired my gun and replaced the Briley tube that was in it at his shop in Houston in about ten minutes, for free. It was perfect and you couldn't see that it ever happened. Been a big Briley fan ever since.

#7 ·
Shotgun barrels are relatively soft. Dents occur in many ways including dropping the gun or dropping something on it. That's why I nag my friends into using hard cases. Even padded soft cases do not provide enough protection especially in a car. People are always rummaging for something and objects are frequently dropped on the gun. Use a hard case and be safe and sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.