1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with decision on prescription glasses.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 548, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 548

548 Guest

I have been using non-prescription Decots for 15 years. I liked them, but the age induced time has come for prescription shooting glasses.

Can any prescription shooting glasses users offer a little insight what to look for or to avoid? Also recommendations on brand would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Go to an eye doc that is a shooter that understands what you need.

Frank Rively (PA) would be my choice. He knows his stuff and would set you up properly. He's at a lot of the big shoots.

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

You might want to look into contacts. The problem with contacts is you can not get the exact prescription like glasses. They come in incremental prescriptions, where glasses can be ground to exact prescriptions.

That being said, if your prescriptions in both eyes can be matched very close with what is available, the Contacts are the way to go. Otherwise you have to pay so much for the different shaded RX lenses. If not, the extra cost may be better.

I had Ranger XL for prescription lenses, before the contacts. They are matched to your pupil separation, and focal point area located in the area that you will look through the glasses. As long as you go through a shooting knowledgeable Optician, they should be able to set you up. You could still use your existing frames.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Just take the tape off the right lens.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

548, here is my take on prescription shooting glasses, and corrective lenses in general.

The first thing you have to understand is you could receive 3 different prescriptions from 3 different Optometrists or Ophthalmologists. They may vary in diopter, but will almost certainly vary on Cylinder (astigmatic correction).

Contact lenses can correct for astigmatism, but they have to remain oriented perfectly to do so. I don't wear contacts, but judging by the complaints from my friends who do, glasses are the way to go, especially for pistol shooting.

Go to an Ophthalmologist (an actual eye doctor) to have your eyes examined. Pay for the examination only. Do not order lenses or glasses. Next go to someplace like Americas Best where you can get two pairs of glasses for $69. Some locations even throw in a free eye exam by an Optometrist. If so, get the exam. Walmart also makes eyeglasses inexpensively. Their frames are better than America's Choice. Any money you spend on these inexpensive glasses is not wasted, because you can use them in situations where you don't want to risk damage to your good pair.

If the prescriptions are different, get one pair made to each prescription. Then wear each and see which one works the best for you. If you've been blessed with good vision all your life, you will be able to see small differences, especially in astigmatic correction. If you don't have astigmatism, life is much simpler, because the eye can quite easily adjust to "add" a little bit to some understrength prescriptions. I.E.; you really need a +1.5 diopter correction for your right eye but the glasses only provide +1.25. It doesn't work going the other way.

I'll give you another tip. If you go to an Optometrist, or anyone else for that matter, and the examining room is so short that mirrors are required to fold the optical path, make sure they are first surface mirrors. Said another way, when you first sit in the examining chair look in front of you. You will see either a mirror or a small white projection screen. If a mirror, go up to the mirror and place your fingernail on the surface. Now move you head in and look closely at the tip of your fingernail and its reflection. If the two touch it is a first surface mirror and you can have the exam. If there is a space between your fingernail and the reflection it is a conventional (cheap) mirror. Leave and go someplace better for your exam.

Once you have a prescription you are happy with, or the left eye from one prescription and the right from another, send it to someone familiar with making shooting glasses. I have used Post 4, L&M Lenses, Doc Rively and Morgan Optical. To date, the very best pair of lenses I've had made came from L&M Lenses. I am about to receive my first pair of Morgan Optical glasses, so if you PM me next Tuesday, I'll tell you what I think of them.

I know this sounds like an involved process, but it is the only way to be sure you get something correct. I spent thousands of dollars over the years figuring this out, and I still got screwed the last time. Here is what happened.

I called the Vistar Institute, because they were highly recommended. I asked if the exams were given by an Ophthalmologist. I was told they were, so I scheduled an appointment. I had the exam (they used front surface mirrors) and got the prescription. When I went out for a fitting I discovered the prescription was from an Optometrist, not an Ophthalmologist. I was told the Ophthalmologist only examined patients with serious eye problems, not just for eyeglasses. I was annoyed. I picked out two frames and had them fitted. Two weeks later I received the glasses and took them home. They were a disaster. I got splitting headaches from wearing them and my right eye got sore.

I called to say that either the prescription was wrong or the glasses were made incorrectly. I was scheduled for a reexam. A tech examined the glasses and said they were made incorrectly. The exam produced the exact same prescription as the previous, so I was sure it was the glasses. After a bunch of crap from the "boss", she admitted the lenses were made incorrectly and sent them back. The pairs I got back seemed to be okay. I didn't get a headache from the distance pair, and I no longer saw double from the computer pair.

However, I still did not see as well from my right eye as I thought I should. My vision originally had been 20/15 right and 20/10 left so I still remembered what sharp looked like. I also used them at the pistol range. I shoot with a red dot and the dot was smeared horizontally at approx a 30 degree angle. The correction for astigmatism is wrong. So now I'm out $900 for the exams and two pairs of glasses that are not correct.

I could not get a timely appointment with the eye doc who had previously made my best performing distance glasses, so I went to Walmart. The Optometrist was not in, so I went to America's best. The prescription I got was stronger for the right eye and had no astigmatic correction. The prescription for the left was the same except for a 10 degree difference in cylinder. I had the glasses made and even though they were cheap plastic, I saw better and more sharply than with the expensive set. My distance vision with that prescription is now corrected to 20/15 left and 20/20 right. That's the prescription I sent to Morgan Optical. The new lenses have all the coatings including AR, so if they work well I'll have a good set made for daily wear.

Hope this helps.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

First, I would stay with the Decot system. Get the eye exam and explain to the optomitrist the objective of the correction. In this case you want to see the objects at 20-50 yards as clearly as possible. You will get a specific Rx for this and you can get Decot to make new lenses for you with that Rx. The first thing you will notice is you won't see the beads on the shotgun that well so if you are a bead shooter this may cause you some difficulty.

Get a second pair of glasses for short range focus (if you need them), possibly bifocal. These are for every day wear but not for shooting.

When it comes to the shade of the lense you select for shooting, go with the lightests shade you can comfortably use on any given day. Don't overdo the tint as this will reduce resolution and make the targets seem a lot faster than they are.

7. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Ranger Sporter line........clear prescription lens that you can purchase different color clip ons for. I've had mine for approx. 10 years & love them. I have progressive bifocals in mine so I can see to shoot & then I can see how bad my score looks when I get into the clubhouse!

Dr. Wayne Morgan would be my first contact, he has treated me very well for years.

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I went to Sears Optical and got a doctor who happens to be a rifle shooter. This was good. Last prescription looked a little fuzzy, but I tried it anyway. It didn't work that well at the range, so I went back and he tested me again, but this time spent a little more time on my right eye. He went back and forth with two different strength lenses and asked which one was clearer.

He said my right eye (on gun) was between two correction levels, so he went with the stronger one instead of the weaker one. That make a big difference. I swear my cross-firing went away because of this.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Call Wayne Morgan @ Morgan Optical... (800)594-0175... you see the referrals above - there is a reason we all mention him.

Explain your situation and he'll tell you exactly what you need. Great service.
    10+ year customer + all my club guys too...

Jay Spitz

10. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I would check into LASIK eye surgery. I did and it is one of the best things I ever spent money on.

11. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

Make certain you have current and correct information from qualified optometrist/ophthalmologist including pupilary distance. Call Mike at Post 4 Optics. He is a target shooter and understands the eye wear needs of shooters. The frames are titanium and are far superior to Decot, Ranger, et al. Lens choices include HD lenses ground in-house. Great service, superior product.

12. 548

548 Guest

Thank you very much everyone. ZZT, thank you for your time and the education you gave me.

13. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

ZZT is the eye guy. Based on his post, it should be clear the most important thing about prescription shooting glasses is the prescription. If that ain't right, glasses can make things worse.

Good luck. Get the prescription right first. Then get the fancy stuff.

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

AR coating is essential for night shooting imho.Bill

15. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

548...If you are a one eyed shooter, or patch your off eye...don't waste your money getting a correction in that eye...as long as these are only used for shooting...

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Someone said that MIA didn't have much of a sense of humor. That's obviously not true.

17. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

ZZT said it all except for the part about go with Decot. They have been the best folks to deal with you could hope for. Been w/ them since I spent a very informative hour with Bud Decot at the California State Shoot about 20 years ago.

JMO of course

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.