1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help with control button on a superstar GMV trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sshotshell, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

We are having a problem with our SuperStar GMV trap. From time to time it will release two targets one after the other. But only two in a row. It's not windmilling multiple targets. We think it maybe that the control button is sticking slightly. I hesitate to take it apart because I don't have a schematic and I'm not sure how to repair it if I do find the problem. Has anyone experienced a similar problem with a GMV control button? If so, how did you corect it?

Thanks in advance....Jerry P. Felice, Solon Sportsmen's Club, Solon, NY

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jerry... Try a different release cord on the trap to see if the problem continues. If not, it is a simple matter to replace the micro switch in the button. Call Quality Replacemtn Parts in Ohio for repair parts. Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Trap2 is right about the cable and the switch, but if that does not fix the problem you most likely need to clean the trigger assembly housing and the sear plate. The housing has a circular section that resembles a bulls-eye target and the sear sort of looks like a stop sign - this piece moves up and down as the release process occurs (typically located on the front left side of the trap when looked at from behind - it is just below the target plate).

Target dust builds up on the surfaces and interferes with the electromagnet that holds the sear in place (this is often the cause of windmilling). A little lubricant and a rag on these surfaces is all you need.

I've given the link to GMV's web site - you can down load the manuals.

The micro-switches are easy to replace - I don't think the the manual actually covers this - the release technically is not part of the machine...

Good luck

4. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

The picture is not clear in my mind, but just above and behind the magnetic switch on the front right as you look at it from outside the house is a small "wear pad" ?? If I remeber correctly there are 2 versions or different types of materials they are made from. Shyda's or QRP should be able to help or try Dale Stockdale. There is no one more knowledgeable than him on those machines. We usually have found it's in the CRV release button. That whole switch affair is made from parts designed for indoor use, not weather proof as they should have been. Good luck, Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.