1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Adjustable Charge Bar

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TKHover, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKHover

TKHover TS Member

I decided to try an adjustable charge bar on my MEC 9000GN. Today, I set it up closely following the directions. I set my powder drop first and then the shot drop. After a lot of fine tuning,as per the instructions, I was very happy with the consistent drops for both. Then the fun began. I started to load and, as is my custom, I always weight the first 7 - 10 shells. The first 3 were right on with the desired powder and shot weights. Then I started to get shot mixed in with the powder. It happened with every shell from then on. I took the bottles off, cleaned all stray shot & powder, checked that the grommets were in place. I was using the supplied brass washer under the rubber grommet on the powder side. The rubber grommet under the shot bottle was a little crooked, so I straightened that out. I had read on this forum that some do not use the supplied washer, but instead use the MEC washer with the little nibs on it under the powder side. I am also using the metal baffle that came with the bar. I replaced the washer with the MEC one and put everything back together. I gave it another try. Same thing....first 3 or so were dead on, then the shot again started to migrate back to the powder side. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper. Have any of you experienced this problem with the adjustable bar? If so, how did you solve the problem? I certainly will appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Tom

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Is the charge bar stop screw that rides in the slot in the front of the loader in place? I believe the MEC comes with a black/blue one with a standard slot and the adjustable bar comes with a chrome one with a somewhat smaller head (not that it makes any difference).

PAGING BOB DODD!

3. psfive

psfive Member

I have not loaded a shell without the adjustable bar for several years I love them. I am sorry I do not know what to tell you as to how to solve your problem. All I can say is to watch and make sure yourbar is not over traveling and picking up some shot. Ask Bob Dodd. Paul

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Just shoot them. It's the price of "progress," and you don't want to stand in the way of that, do you?

Neil

5. TKHover

TKHover TS Member

Thanks for the responses. I did replace the blue/black travel screw with the new silver screw. The screw is going full travel in the slot. I'm going to give the manufacturer a call tomorrow and see what they say.
    Tom

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I regret to say I haven't any idea how shot would be migrating to the powder but that would, of course, really screw up your powder drop weights. My adjustables are so old they didn't come with nor do I have any inserts on the bar so I can't make a suggestion there. On the hydraulic machine I use the MEC, brass washer, with nibs up, under the rubber grommet on the powder side and on the Grabber, I use rubber grommets on both sides with no brass, MEC washer. I use bulky powders that rarely leak from the bar. If you use ball powder or you get a lot of leakage of powder, DO use the brass washer with nibs up and locate it under the rubber grommet. I've never used or find a need for baffles in my usage on my machines. I can only suggest you try to get down to the bare basics, bar, 2 rubber grommets (one under each bottle) and just skip the brass washer and baffle for the moment. See if there's any change in your results. Is there absolutely NO possibility that shot has found it's way into your container of powder???? Let us know what you find.....Bob Dodd

7. TKHover

TKHover TS Member

Bob,

Naturally, my first thought was how did I manage to get shot into my powder bottle. I checked that first. There is no shot in the powder bottle.
    I'll certainly keep you all posted if I find out anything.
    Tom

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Really weird, Tom, the two openings simply don't get near one another. How about in the jug of powder?? But I've had one or two #8s in a hull I was using for powder adjustments and it truly and quickly does blow the weight off the map.....Bob Dodd

Wait a minute, when you operate the machine the shot end of the bar does get relatively close to the area of where powder is being dispensed in the next hull. Check for a good solid seal on the shot bottle to bar and grommet where shot could migrate - is the bottle screwing down firmly on the grommet?? BD

9. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Tom,

this is the set up I use on my loader with great success, the MEC washer and grommet, powder baffle then the bottle and just a grommet and bottle on the other side. Using the universal bar I do not use their washer I use the MEC one with the 4 tits up, see in pic. Also I went to the web site tiring to trouble shoot the problem for you with no luck, the only thing that would make scene is it might have a casting problem in the bar.

thanks
    lee

10. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Only two ways powder and shot can get mixed on a 9000 since they are dropped through separate tubes. When you were weighing some test loads and then returning the material back to the bottles, you dropped shot into the powder bottle. (Yup, I've done this.) The second way is to not put a wad in, and the shot drops into the powder charged case. There could be a remote possibility of shot bridging in the shot drop tube that is breaking free when the powder charged case rotates under, but the timing would have to be critical for this to happen repeatedly.

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I've been using an adjustable bar for years and never heard of this. When is the shot getting into the powder, before it drops? Is the tube that drops the powder and shot plugged up? keep us updated. Wayne

12. TKHover

TKHover TS Member

Again, I want to thank all for their responses. Lee, I'm using your exact setup with the washers and grommets. Bob, your thought is very valid since I also have dropped shot or powder into the wrong bottle when returning a test drop (haven't we all). However, I sifted the powder in the bottle and there is no shot in that bottle. Wayne, I'm not sure when it's happening. I'm noticing it when I remove the shell after the powder drop(station 2) to check the weight. When I dump the load on the scale pan, there's the shot mixed in. Even though I have the shot bottle screwed down fairly tight, somehow I think the shot is finding a way to travel along the bar. If I lift the bottles back, sometimes I see stray shot laying on the bracket (I'm using the bottle supports). It's coming from somewhere. I'm calling the manufacturer in a little while. I'll keep you posted. Thanks alot guys.
    Tom

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I'll certainly be interested in what you find, TK. I just can't see how this can be happening. Keep us informed, OK?

Neil

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Which of the inserts do you have on the shot side of the bar, the zinc or the hard rubber one? For lead shot it should be the zinc one, steel shot the hard rubber one. Wayne

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Since the 9000 uses two separate drop tubes I'm also having trouble understanding how shot could get over to the powder side. Is it possible that you have installed the bar upside down. It would still have the adjustments on each end but without going to my shop to look I think it only has the bolt hole on one end so probably isn't possible. If possible remove the bar and post a picture of the bottom of it so we can compare it with one of ours. Are you sure you have a model for the 9000? What letter does it have one it. I can't remember if it's C and D or what but let me know what letter it is.(You've probably guessed by now that I can't stand a mystery, I just gotta know) Jackie B.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I still don't know who shot J.R., much less how shot can go into the powder.

I will devinitely stay tuned. If you were anywhere near me I would come to your house to solve this baffling enigma.

HM

17. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

The bottle bracket is probably raising up when the loader is cycled or not pulled down all the way. I have had this problem on my older MEC with a universal bar.

18. TKHover

TKHover TS Member

Here's the latest update. I called the manufacturer of the bar today. I had the wrong insert in, black rubber instead of zinc. I corrected this and problem continued. Here comes the fun part...I changed back to the MEC bar and had the same problem....so it's not just the universal bar. Called MEC and they suggested changing to a new rubber insert. They are sending me one since I had never changed it and have loaded probably 50,000 to 75,000 shells on it. I know some of you must be convinced that I really do have some shot mixed in the powder bottle. I even changed to new powder so that is not the case. Since I have had this problem, I have been reloading reclaimed shot. We just mined our club. No skeet shooters, just trap.. so probably 99% 7 1/2 & 8's. MEC also said this could be the problem. Some slivers or sheared shot could be getting under the bar and making it to the powder drop. So, I changed to my Magnum ATA shot (I only use the reclaimed for practice)...same problem. So it's not the shot. After stopping and cleaning everything, the first 7-10 shells are always good...then the problem starts again. It's getting frustrating. I'll be away for the weekend and will try to resolve this next week. I'll keep you posted. Thanks guys.
    Tom

19. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

TKHover posted;
    "The first 3 were right on with the desired powder and shot weights. Then I started to get shot mixed in with the powder"

You've just posted that you changed to new powder,,but,,the scenario you described in my cut and paste is classic of some shot previously mixed into powder. After a few reloads, the heavier lead goes to the bottom of the bottle, starting your problem.

The only other possible way I can think of is if the stop screw on the charge bar is missing. My adjustable bar can slide left far enough that the shot opening is over the powder drop tube, but you certainly would have noticed those conditions.

20. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

This shouldn't take more than 10 seconds to figure out...1.Is there any shot in the powder....2.Is the bar moving correctly back and forth....3.Is the bar the correct one and is it installed correctly.....If so far you get a no and then a yes and another yes....it has to be magic. Personally i'd stick with the bushing bar....don't get any simpler than that. From the sounds of things I'd go back to what worked for you before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjustable charge bar problems

mec 762 r not dumping enough shot in shells

mec adjustable charge bar settings