1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with a sub-gauge .28ga 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SWIFT, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWIFT

SWIFT TS Member

I have not paid much attention to who is good at what... but I recently purchased a 28ga 1100. I took my dog on the last preserve hunt (preseve quail hunt) last week and the gun must had a 50% malfunction rate with factory shells. Most coming from mag release problems, failure to eject, and some light strikes.. gun was supposedly sent to Rem by previous owner bla bla bla. I loved the gun and its light weight. Who would you send it to make it reliable.????

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

BreakFree CLP.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

First of all, like everyone says: clean it. Pull the bolt back and if it comes back too easily and does't snap shut hard, you may need a new mainspring.
    You have one of the best shooting guns ever made. It's most likely a simple fix.

4. David P.

David P. TS Member

Not so! I shoot with a guy here in Northern Ca. who recently bought a 28g 1100. He has had nothing but problems with his, ejection, feeding, etc... He sent it back to Remington, they said it was fine, and returned it. The gun still doesn't function reliably regardless of ammo it is fed. David

5. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I love mine...but it doesn't love every type of ammo. Keep it clean and find the ammo it likes. These guns were designed to shoot less than MAX DRAM shells. My gun likes Winchester AAs.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Don't put the o-ring into the groove in the mag tube when reassembling. Instead, put it about an inch forward, so that the gas chamber ("barrel hanger") pushes it into position. See if that helps. If problems continue, insert a second o-ring and manually see if the bolt fully closes. It may be that the o-ring is not fully sealing the gas chamber.

Another issue is the gas rings. If they have gaps, make sure the gaps are not aligned with each other, but are 180 degrees off.

Problems with shells coming out of the mag tube could be a weak mag spring. This can be checked by temporarily shimming it under the spring retainer.

Sometimes debris can prevent some parts from functioning. The receiver is completely clean, right?

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

There is a small piece that sticks up that the shell from the magazine tube hits upon firing and the shell comes out of the magaizne tube and hits it, sometimes this gets bent, or by improperly inserting thye trigger assy.

Check it when you remove the trigger.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

Not too long ago I had 2 of these 28 ga. 1100's come in for similar issues, including light primer hit on reloads, failing to feed and other mechanical failures, and both had been somewhat worked over by another shop without success before I got the nod.

The one even had a custom LH Wenig trap high comb that was a real dream for a Leftie to shoot, and in a 28 ga., recoil was not much different than a .410 in that setup.

Both guns needed various minor tweaks along with a verification cleaning, but after the go-through, only one had a single misfire of a deep primer reload that hinted at another issue that I occasionally find and correct a bit beyond the factory spec. and subsequently did that rework to that specific example. When I see a borderline fit issue of parts, I will lean toward the side of extra relief rather than minimum engagement.

Most can understand that minimal engagement of an extractor hook might cause problems with a few specific subject guns due to barrel chamber tolerances and finish and variation in shell brands and lines providing less rim edge or cheap shell (expanded inside) chamber grip.

No reports of malfunction since from either owner.

Kirby

9. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Mine is flawless but it throws empties into the next zip code.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Mine is on steroids too. I have to warn skeeters along side of me to avoid the flying empties.

HM

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

There is a small piece that sticks up that the shell from the magazine tube hits upon firing and the shell comes out of the magaizne tube and hits it, sometimes this gets bent, or by improperly inserting the trigger assy.

This is a very common issue and the part can break the little tit off the end of the part and still look normal. Take it to a Remington gunsmith. Jeff

12. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

I got am 11-48 and 1100 28 gauge and 410 never spent much to keep them going. Release in the 28,

Take care,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.