1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with a S10 pickup problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Been trying to help a neighbor with his old pick up. He's paid for a fuel pump, plugs, fuel filter, new catalytic converter, and all to be put in but he still has a hesitation problem. He's about run out of money so I'm trying to help him. It's a 1988 Chevy S10 with the 4 cyl and manual tranny. It runs fine except right off idle it will just lay down unless you keep the rpm up a lot more than you should. It's got the throttle body fuel injection, I used to mechanic some but don't know much about throttle body. If it was a carburetor it would be like the accelerator pump quit working. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

If you can find a timming light( Old School)set it as if you were checking the timming. Aim the beam at the bottom of the injector and let the truck idle. You should see a very fine spray and not drops of fuel. If you see drops the injector needs to be rebuilt / cleaned it may be getting to much fuel. Common on older GM's with TBI systems.

3. sliverbulletexpress

Thanks for the tip I think I have an old timing light somewhere. If I was guessing I would guess it was lean but if it's not atomizing the fuel I can see where it would do that. Supposedly the place that did all the other work " graphed" all the modules or whatever and they were ok. somethings not right for sure.

4. sliverbulletexpress

5. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

If its got high milage it may be gunked up under the throttle body,common problem

6. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

You might remove the idle air control and make sure it is clean. As well, it could be a slow reacting IAC.

Todd

7. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I am feeling distributor on this one. Since you have to keep the rpms up you are keeping the advance up. When its at idle and stumbles the advance could be slow. The truck probably has over 100,000 miles on it. I am guessing distributor.Maybe bushing is worn. Just my mental telephy working tonight. But its really strong. Birdtracker

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Clean the throttle body with carb cleaner. I bet it will purr like a kitten afterwards. As mentioned above, the TB is likely gunked up.

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I would also check and see if a piece of carbon has fouled the EGR valve. I had this happen and it caused me all sorts of fits.

ss

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have a Ford truck with a straight 6 engine. It to had a miss in the engine. I had replace the distributor the past winter. I found that the cap had screws bolts to hold the cap on and the holes for them had not only stripped but also inlarged. The bolts were fine but wouldn't hold. I had to put nuts on them to hold the cap in place. It worked and no miss.

With another engine it was a crack in the cap. Check also the rotor button. I have had a bad rotor button before.

In a VW I have had in the cap the center button the button had just fallen out.

I would look at spark plug wires, plugs, cap, rotor button, Distributor its self.

Someone above said to get a timing light. Use the timing light on each of the wires. That way you can see what wires are not firing and or not firing all the time.

11. Hemlock

Hemlock Member

Just had the same problem with my daughter's S10. Checked the MAP sensor first and it was OK. Replaced the EGR valve and it ran like a new machine.

12. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Check EGR operation, could be opening to soon, check idle air passage make sure its not blocked with carbon.

13. kiot98

kiot98 TS Member

If you feel it would be an accelerator pump(if it was carbed), check the throttle position sensor. It replaces the accel pump. You can ohm it out while opening the accelerator. It should be a steady increase or decrease in ohms. An egr should cause an idle problem if it is open.

14. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

My 2001 s10 had intermittent problems with the throttle position sensor. It would idle, but when trying to take off it would cut out. Had to really feather the gas and get lucky. Not skip, but run like you are coasting down a hill in gear with the engine off.

Might also be a vacuum line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why does my 2001 s10 4 cylinder stumble on take off