1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with a release trigger For a BT-99

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by xtand 99, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xtand 99

xtand 99 TS Member

Hi---I have a BT-99 older model (1976) with a release trigger and I would like to turn it back to a pull trigger. It appears that the hook that drops down to hold the block till you release it is brazed to the top of the trigger and it a Spears release. Do I just take the trigger out and unbraze the hook or do I need a new trigger for the gun---any help would be great. Thanks Norbert

2. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I had a Spears release put in my BT-99 last year & when I got it back, there was a note enclosed recommending that I send it back to them if I wanted it converted back to a pull. John

3. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

xtand---Removing the hook would make your trigger a PULL again. However-if it is truly brazed to the trigger with brass, I'm not sure if the amount of heat required to do this might not warp or soften the metal too much to be dependable in the longterm. If it's silver soldered, thus requiring less heat, the trigger metal would probably be OK. I have a Spears built release in my BT-100. Great looking machine work, but, he only used one screw to attach the hook. It didn't work the first time I got it back, nor did it work the SECOND time I got it back. It simply would not "set". I managed to fix it myself enough to get through the shooting season,then took it to another smith who installed a roll pin to keep the hook attached and timed correctly. It's worked very well ever since. You might want to check to make sure the trigger pull and etc. are acceptable and safe after you remove the hook and reassemble. Hope this helps.-----Jack M.

4. xtand 99

xtand 99 TS Member

Thanks For help on this one---I think it is just Silver soldered rather than brazed---the release works great but I just can't get used to the release--Thanks Norbert

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

An old BT-99 is probably worth about $ 700. It probably cost $300 or more to install a release. There are people out there dying for a BT-99 with a Spears release. Sell the damn thing and buy one with a pull trigger.

6. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Where are you located? I have two or three Bt-99s with pull triggers, I'll swap you.

Big Dave

7. xtand 99

xtand 99 TS Member

Thanks for the info--This is not ordinary---- I was told by the gent who had it that it was a (trap- special) and had a higher MC stock, a higher rib and two matched serial number barrels one 32" with choke tubes and a 34" fixed full---so it is not like the other Bts that I have had in the past-- ---and Dave I sent you an email----Thanks norbert

8. xtand 99

xtand 99 TS Member

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Take a DREMEL tool and cut the hook off, that is usually all you need to do.
    Call Spears and ask him if that would work just to be sure,

Dr.longshot
    Gary Bryant

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The day will come-mark my words-when you will wish you had the release trigger back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.