1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with a Mec 9000.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have been loading on this machine for about 8 years and never had this to happen. I thought someone on here might have experienced it so could fix it tonight. As I was loading It started getting hard when pulling down in the loading cycle and now is almost impossible to pull the arm all the way down. It goes down normally until it is approximately 3/4 of an inch from the bottom of the cycle and stops. I removed the shot and powder bottles and all shell and it didn't change anything. When the ram tube that would install the primer is 1/2 inch above the plate it hangs up. Anyone else experience this. It has never happened on my 20, 28, or 410 machines either. Any suggestions. Thanks Jackie B.

2. toad67

toad67 Member

Have you tried to unhook the auto index?

3. Shooting Jack

Yes to both of your responses. Disconnecting did not change anything and the website did not have anything with this problem. Thanks for your responses though. I will check with Mec tomorrow. Jackie B.

4. Reinz

Reinz Member

Excuse me if this does not sound right. I have not had a 9000 for over 5 yrs now.

If the sizer fingers still clamp down when the shells are out (station one), this would lead me to believe an obstruction is inbetween those fingers such as some shot.

Or - as I vaguely remember, something to do with station one.

5. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I don't know what hull you are loading, but if it is a steel based hull, it could be hanging up just short of the bottom of the deprime station, due to a little static electricity causing a slight magnetic effect. Try pushing down on the hull with your finger, and see if it goes any further. If the base of the hull doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the deprime station, the rim won't fit into the collet fingers, making it almost impossible to complete the stroke, unless you have arms like an elephant's legs.

It could also be slightly out of time. The quickest way to check this on a 9000 is to slightly loosen the two bolts on the bottom of the black plate on the right hand side. When the two bolts are just loose enough to allow the plate to move, pull it hard towards you with your right hand, making sure the base of the plate is parallel with the base of the machine. Then with your left hand, hold the wrench on the nut on the inside of the base, and with your third hand, ratchet tight the two bolts, ensuring once again to keep the plate and base parallel. When you think the bolts are tight enough, they aren't!! Tighten them some more, and good luck. This has been the fix to the timing problem in my 9000 twice, now.

6. travisalfrey

travisalfrey Member

If you are still having problems I would suggest you go to shotgun world and post it in the reloading section. Curly-Nohair is the resident expert on Mecs and will have advice and probably pictures to go along with the fix.

Travis in Nc

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Try cleaning the collet assembly in stage #1, and then re-lube the outsides of the collet fingers using anti-seize inspecting for any damage as you go. DO NOT USE OIL. Travis also has a good idea for you above.

Good hunting.

Jon Reitz

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

It is tomorrow now---gL---Mec tecks will answer any problem----SJB

9. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Might be either one of the cam rollers has worn or has a flat spot. If the machine hangs with no shells in it it is related to the machine. Station 1, 5 or 6. Could also be a burr on the center post.

Chuck

10. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Quick and easy solution......CALL MEC!

11. Shooting Jack

Chuckie, I think you are on to something. It does still hang without hulls in the stations. Hopefully Mec will be open shortly and I'll see what they say. Thanks everyone. Jackie B.

12. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Lift the station 1 pin out of the collet, wipe it clean & put it back. No oil. Next make SURE there are no old primers built up under the loader where the pin drops. Now if you pull the handle about 1/2 way down the pin should fall all the way. If you bump it up from underneath it should fall right back down with a click at the bottom.

13. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I/we will be interested to know what MEC tells you when you get to talk to them.

Thanks.

Allen

14. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Sounds like shot lodged in the collet fingers to me. I had the exact same problem. Cleaned them out and relubed and worked fine.....

15. Shooting Jack

I'm really not sure what fixed it but I removed the pin that holds the chain link on the collet and raised the bushing that compresses the collet and applied antiseize and now works fine. I did call Mec and didn't get the guys name and should have as I never want to talk to the rude mr holier than thou guy again. I've had mecs for a long time and have called them several times over the years and always, always had courteous professional help. I guess the guy I spoke to today may have been having a bad day. He started telling me what to take apart by name and I interrupted to ask what part was that and He responded you won't learn nothing if you talk when I talk. I thanked him for his help and hung up. Jackie B.

The funny part is I have nine Mec loaders set up and have five more that I'm cleaning and painting and will probably sell them. I also have three 366's but prefer the Mec's.

16. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Don't hang up - take it up the line. Rudeness or arrogance from customer service people should never be tolerated or go unreported.

17. Shooting Jack

I emailed MEC concerning about the individual response and this is the response I got from them. I've had bad days and probably didn't respond the way I should have so I kinda wish I hadn't emailed them but here is what they said.

Jackie,

I apologize for the poor service that you received from our customer service department. I want you to know I will be addressing the issue with the individual you spoke with. I’m glad to hear that you own 9 MEC’s and you’re a loyal customer. I do not want this to change your views or opinions about our company. We strive for the best customer satisfaction and I want you to personally call me in the future if you need anything. Again I apologize for the poor customer service. Thank you and have a good day.

Shawn Wozniak

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I just had some help needed on my Mec and the guy was very helpful and patience with me---His name is Rick----SJB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

disassembling mec reloader chain link