1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help With 9000G -

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by t7731, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t7731

t7731 Member

Was loading and did not notice that a primer fed upside down. It obviously did not seat into the shell and because I was not really paying attention, I went ahead and pulled the handle all the way, despite there being an obvious obstruction. Something popped and now the lower reprime spring no longer compresses on the downstroke and therefore the locking bracket does not allow the charge bar to move to right and drop powder.

I have tried lowering the powder drop tube, but this is not helping. Any ideas?

Mike

2. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Mike,
    Go through the steps of adjusting the reprise tube. Place an empty shell in station 2 and measure the gap underneath the reprime spring and the base ( supposed to be 3/16ths inch). You'll now need to make sure you didn't bend the rod that enables the bar lock arm also. That's all I can think of. I can't think of a part that would break as these units are pretty tough built.

Please follow up with what your issue was and how you fixed it.

Kurt

3. t7731

t7731 Member

Kurt,

The problem is that there is no gap whatsoever anymore. No matter how far down I put the reprime/powder drop tube. There must be something somewhere else on the machine that pushes the reprime spring up off of the turret, but I have no idea what it is.

I will let you know if I figure it out. Thanks,

Mike

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Call MEC. They will walk you through it (whatever the problem) on the phone. Excellent customer service.

5. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

You have to have an empty shell in position 2 for the reprime spring to compress.

Will the machine function normally with the pull of the handle and it just won't lock? With an empty shell in station 2, the primer seating tube should raise about 3/4" above the top of the red frame (above the spring and spacer part). The only "pop" that I can figure from the downward pressure is a broken bolt in the linkage somewhere.

6. t7731

t7731 Member

OK. I get the idiot award for the day. I guess it just took me 15 minutes or so to clear my head. After reading your post and the owners manual for the 4th time, I went back to the garage and readjusted the powder drop tube again. Turns out that I was not tightening the clamp down tight enough and so every time I pulled down the handle, the tube was slipping back up. Hence why there was no gap to measure.

All is good now and I feel much better. I didnt have any time to be calling MEC in the morning and I needed to load shells tonight for shooting tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Mike

7. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

LOL....I was just about to post your powder drop tube has slipped and needs to be dropped down, but it looks like you got it handled.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Next time listen to the machine. When the handle meets added resisstance on the down stroke it is trying to tell you something is wrong. Like an upside down primer. HMB

9. t7731

t7731 Member

I know, I normally do listen to the machine and in fact watch every primer drop. Last night the wife was being crabby, I had to give my 2 year old a bath, and I had a bad day at work. I was in a hurry and probably was not in the right state of mind to be loading shells.

I used to keep an extra flat of loaded shells in my trunk just for these times when I don't any time to spare. I will probably start doing that again because the next time I am in a hurry I might end up hurting myself or someone else.

10. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

We have a tendency to force the machine to work when it's in a bind. Thats not the time to see how strong we are. I know,I've done it myself.
    Clyde

11. t7731

t7731 Member

My machine has a minor bind quite often and that may be another reason that I ignored this bigger bind. My minor bind is in the resizing collet and only happens when it is depriming and resizing a shell that has been loaded three or more times. It NEVER happens with once fired shells.

I have tried everything to get this to stop. I have removed the collet, soaked it in solvent, inspected it, and made sure that there are no pieces of shot stuck in it. I have lubricated it with anti seize, tightened it all the way down opened it up allthe way so that it isn't even resizing anything.

Has anyone else experienced this minor bind when loading shells that have been used 3, 4 or more times?

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Yes, but I have never figured out what it was. Mine is on the upshift most often with only occasionally on the down due to hull not falling all the down in the resizer. When its working right I can really rolls some reloads out. LOL Always keeping an eye out for the primer falling. Jackie B.

13. t7731

t7731 Member

I occasionally get it on the upstroke, but mostly on the downstroke and only on hulls that have been used at least 3 times. I started to think that it might have something to do with the Fiocchi primers, because it never happens on the once fired hulls that still have the Remington primer.

Who knows? All I know is that I have gotten used to it and it makes awesome shells.

14. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

If you are still using the old 100 primer tray with ball chain .... switch to the new 200 tray with all mechanical linkage. I hesitated for a long time to make this upgrade. Primer drop has worked flawlessly since I did the upgrade.

Primer drop is my primary point of focus when reloading with my MEC 9000H.

Bob

15. t7731

t7731 Member

Interesting you should say that Bob. I believe that I will be getting the new primer feeder as a Christmas gift from my father. I doubt that will solve my minor binding issue, but at least I hope not to have any misfed primers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.