1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help with 682x not firing doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BD457, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BD457

BD457 Member

I just bought a beautiful 682x and as I'm checking it out, I can't get it to fire both barrels without moving the barrel selector switch after firing the first round. I haven't hit the range with it yet, but I would think snap caps should work for the test. I can't imagine this is something that all 682x's do. I took the stock off to look at all the pieces in the trigger assy. It's not dirty at all and everything looks okay from my point of view (not knowing the firsty thing about trigger assemblies ofr how they work). I gave it a good dribbling of Beretta oil and put it back together and it didn't help. What now?

Mike

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pull the trigger, then stand the gun up and bang the recoil pad on the floor. Then try the second barrel by pulling the trigger. HMB

3. BD457

BD457 Member

DOHHHH!!!!!!

Works Perfectly! Thanks!

4. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

BD457,

You have an inertia trigger in your 682X. When the first shot is fired, or you bang the butt stock on the floor as hmb suggested, the recoil will set up the trigger to fire again.

There's nothing wrong with an inertia trigger, but you can UPGRADE your 682X to mechanical triggers, which is a very nice option to have.

5. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

You probably know and forgot.

There are two types of internal trigger/barrel selectors to allow the second barrel to fire. The first type is mechanical which are normally found on small guage or four guage tube or barrel sets with small guages.

The second type is inertia which requires a fair amount of recoil or a thump on the stock to set the second trigger allowing it to fire, this is the type in your Beretta.

Small guages, 28, 410 normally don't generate enough recoil to trip the inertia block in the inertia system to set the second barrel, while the mechanical system has no such requirement.

Surfer

6. BD457

BD457 Member

Joe,
    Just courious, why would that be considered an Upgrade? Is there anything wrong with having the inrtia system? My 686 has the mechanical and the ONLY reason I can see to change to the mechanical is so that when I fire off the snap caps upon disassembly, I don't have to strike the butt. Any other reason?

(By the way, Thanks for the tip on the 682x, so far I LOVE this gun)

7. BD457

BD457 Member

Joe,
    Just courious, why would that be considered an Upgrade? Is there anything wrong with having the inrtia system? My 686 has the mechanical and the ONLY reason I can see to change to the mechanical is so that when I fire off the snap caps upon disassembly, I don't have to strike the butt. Any other reason?

(By the way, Thanks for the tip on the 682x, so far I LOVE this gun)

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

You might want to go back and use some compressed air on any excess oil that's left. Just a suggestion. Good luck and enjoy your Beretta.

9. BD457

BD457 Member

Good advice and gladly accepted. Thanks!

10. open choke

open choke TS Member

Mechanical triggers have a faster reaction in-between shots and with mechanical triggers you also don't have to worry about the inertia making the gun double fire from the recoil

11. k3uro

k3uro Member

Good Morning,

Some mechanical triggers will not reset with light loads, mainly 410 from my experience.

Take care,

Jim

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jim has it. One of the things commonly done when purchasing tube sets from Briley or Kolar is changing the trigger to mechanical. Brownings need this too, even though some will work without it.

HM

13. BD457

BD457 Member

Jim, I assume you meant some "Inertia Triggers" won't reset with light loads......correct?

14. open choke

open choke TS Member

I just got that. Yeah the inertia depends on the recoil. So for instance 410 skeet tubes in a 12 gauge may be too light on the recoil

15. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

My understanding of the Beretta inertia trigger system is that it can be "tweaked" to "ACT" like mechanical triggers. In the olden days at the Golden West Grand at the Sage Hill range, a Beretta dealer would bring in a Beretta gunsmith to give free check ups and do repairs. Long story short his tools and parts did not arrive when it was suppose to and he "tweaked" my 682 to "act" like it had a mechanical trigger.

Jason

16. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

The strength of the inertia spring determines the force required to switch the trigger according to my gunsmith. I have replaced three springs in the last 15 months so if it happens again I am changing to a mechanical system.

Doc

17. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The two most common guns that would have a mechanical conversion are the Berettas and Browning.

Now being more familiar with Kolar's mechanical conversion for the Beretta and Brownings...Neither conversion will speed the trigger up. On the Beretta conversion, there is a hook installed that will move forward, grap the inertia block, pull it back and then release it. I'm sure there are over a thousand guns with this system and they all work flawlessly, not only with the small gauge tube sets, but also with guns that have recoil dampening devices attached to the buttstock (when your shooting one ounce loads or lighter)

The Brownings had a pin soldered to the sear so that when the trigger lifts the sear high enough, the pin will knock the inertia block back.

Having a mechanical conversion is not necessary on a Browning, the inertia modification works great...again probably well over a thousand guns.

I don't think Briley does a mechanical conversion on their "run-of-the-mill" small gauge tube conversion. They rework the inertia system.(they did for a long time)

Doug

18. BD457

BD457 Member

Mine must have been tweeked then. I barely need to strike the butt to get the second barrel to fire.

19. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

If you have to strike the butt even lightly to drop the second hammer, you have the inertia system.

Surfer

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Doc, instead of changing springs you can solve the problem by putting a little piece of lead tape on the side of the inertia block. Increasing it's weight increases its ability to set the second barrel. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.