1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with 3/4, 20ga

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pikepoola1racer, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pikepoola1racer

pikepoola1racer Member

I'm reloading 20ga, 3/4 oz loads, what wad do you use?
    13.2 international, remington hull, win 209 primer, WAA20 wad, but the crimp goes in to far, HELP
    Thanks, Sam

2. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Try placing a dried bean in the wad after seating and before dropping the shot.

Works for me in a 12 ga. application that gave me dished crimps.

HBT

3. Bridger

Bridger Member

Sam, the ONLY wad that will work with 3/4, 20 gauge loads that don't require adjustments to your loader are the Winchester factory 20 gauge wads. Unfortunately they are more expensive but you can use these wads without making any crimp adjustment. You will probably still have a very slight dish but it is of no consequence. Other wads as you have found out will have a deep dish. and can be used only if you are willing to make adjustments to your loader. Sometimes even that doesn't work. Adding fillers is a PIA at best. If you compare the Winchester wad to any other you will see why they work as the shot column sits higher. Use the same powder drop as you use for 7/8 oz loads and you should end up with a very satisfactory load. Good luck. I've been using 3/4 oz 20 gauge loads for about a year or so and have gotten very good results with them.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Use the Rem wad. Jeff

5. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

orange duster is a copy of the AA20 and works well too. Also as cheap a wad as you will find

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

If you can find old Remington RXP hulls (ribbed), they seem to have less of a "dishing" problem with WAA20 (or claybuster clones) than the current Remington Premier STS hulls. Best Regards, Ed

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bridger is correct- use only factory AA, not copies and not Remington wads

the factory AA is larger than the copies- dont know why but they are-- I read that in skeet magazine and found it to be true myself

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. pikepoola1racer

pikepoola1racer Member

Thanks, Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.