1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??Help With 28 ga load??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pete F (PA), Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete F (PA)

Pete F (PA) TS Member

Need Sugestions.
    Here's what I have.
    AA-HS Hulls,Clay Buster wads HS.WW209, Universal Powder.
    Willing to try your favorite reciepe.
    Thanks Pete

2. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

uh-oh!

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I'm sure I will be corrected but I read that Universal Powder was not a good powder to use with the new hulls.

I still use the old 28 gauge hulls and Universal. I have been keeping my eye on what powder to use in the new hulls as a number of shooters had problems making the transition and trying to stay with Universal.

Alliant 20/28 makes for a good load.

4. Game Warden

Game Warden Member

Universal was too bulky for the new hull so I had to go to Long Shot which works fine. Will be trying Unique in future as am trying to get back to using same powder for both my 20 and 28 loads. Good luck.

5. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I use 13.5 grains of Universal with the components you listed, but with Federal 209As instead of Winchester Primers. Have no problem with the powder, or fitting everything into the new style hull.

~Michael

6. Pete F (PA)

Pete F (PA) TS Member

Well Here is my story of opps's
    First using old AA Wad in HS case
    Then using old AA Load Data
    Not checking the powder #16 bushing only droping 12.5 grains
    Light Loads not setting Perrazi trigger.
    Going to try 14.0 grains Univ.Clays
    One old skeeter said Load 13.5 700x?
    I'm Trying
    Thanks for the Help
    Pete

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

The Hogdon Manual calls for 14.1 grains of Universal for 1200 fps. The pressure is 12,200 psi. It is hard on hulls from my experience. 14.6 grains of longshot will give you the same 1200 fps with only 9,800 psi. The Claybuster HS wad is my first choice also. Ron Renouf

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

700x is not a 28ga powder. It's one thing to be a dumb ass but it's another to pass on dumb ass and quite possibley dangerous information. Do not load 28 ga with 700x powder as it is way to fast. Jeff

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I took care of the A-HS and bulky powder problem by using 11/16 oz of shot. I cannot tell the difference in the breaks, and things work. I went up one bushing on the powder, and chrono shows around 1250. Works well at skeet.

10. Shooting Coach

Back in the days of paper hulls, 700X was loaded in 12, 20 and 28. Your buddy must be very long in the tooth. I would never load it in the 20, let alone the 28. The 28 is loaded to very high pressure with correct loads. Some powders are available to reduce pressures, but it seems to thrive at pressures over 10,000 psi.

I have had great results with Unique, the old reliable. Universal Clays is good, but imported. I still have a goodly supply of Win 540 and a bunch of old style AA hulls. I prefer 11/16 oz of shot and Unique.

11. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Don't be mess'n with loads not in the book. It is possible to blow up a 28 ga. too! You can get them on line from Hodgden.com. 14.8 Longshot,HS hull,HS wad win 209 primer, and it's a tight fit unless you tweak your wad pressure. There is now a Unique load, but it has high pressure.

12. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

There will never be a better 28 guage than 17 grains of 540. Now that 540 is gone, the same load with HS6 is the best load going. I have had adequate results with unique, herco, green dot, universal powders but when it comes to a Great load.....HS6 is the way to go. Takes up little room in the hull and will fog targets. Fred

13. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

15.0 universal AAHS 28 hull rem pt28 wad cheddite primer 50 lbs of wad pressure helps it all fit nicely

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I too looked up the load for you.Gun1357 has it right at 14.1 grains of your Universal powder. Adjust the wad pressure to 30 psi if you need to get it to fit. Then I would change to HS6 as said above.Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

15. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

It's not my experience that Universal is hard on hulls. My current batch of AAs have been reloaded at least 7 times, and I expect at least three more reloads out of them.

If you have trouble getting things to fit into the new AA hulls, the Remington PT28 wad is the solution. Not a cheap one, but a solution.

~Michael

16. Shooting Coach

Oddly enough, skeet tube makers will tell you they have more customer caused problems with 28 ga tubes. High pressure loads WILL damage the thicker tubes, and sometimes even the carrier barrels ($$$OUCH$$$).

17. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

Well the definitive 700X from the IMR book, dated 7/99 in my hand, is that 11.5 grains, a WW AA hull, old style, a WAA28 and 11/16 oz gives 1190 at 10,800 pressure. I think my 28 gauge will like that load just fine, think I'll just try it. Also found data for 3/4 oz tho won't note it here as components are not common to those avail now, I'll try some when I get the chance.

18. Shooting Coach

Dear 8 1/2

You will LOVE the 11/16 oz load on the Skeet field. I have loaded this weight in the 28 for years.

19. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I agree with "bulgie". Hodgdon HS6 is by far the best powder for the 28 gauge because it FITS the AA hull!

Jim Skeel

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the new Alliant 20-28 powder. It is the only powder specifically designed for these small volume shells. Federal tested this powder and immediately adopted it for their 20 and 28 ga shells.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.