1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help wiring a small electric motor Please.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a electric line winding set and my motor has bit the dust. It has been wired with a reversable switch and I don't have a clue how to wire the motor. Anyone out there with the know how? I would be more than willing to pay someone to do it for me. I called the manufactorer and the motors are no longer avail. I have a motor. Help please. Jackie B.

2. leftex

leftex Active Member

How about a pic of what we are working with? Probably would be useful.

3. Shooting Jack

This is the motor on a Trilene Line winder. It is the same size motor that is used on most of the older sewing machines.

shootingjack_2008_030325.jpg

shootingjack_2008_030326.jpg

shootingjack_2008_030327.jpg

4. TC

TC TS Member

I would suggest a sewing machine repair shop if nobody comes through for you on here. Might try a couple different ones as there can be a big difference in prices.

5. Shooting Jack

Already tried that. They don't use motors wired for turning in both directions. The sewing machines use a gear set to reverse motion. Jackie B.

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

There are a billion different small motors out there. They break down by frame size, AC or DC, voltage, current, number of phases, shaft size, direction of rotation, mounting type and so on. Do some internet research and look for a motor with similar characteristics to yours. It doesn't have to be the same motor, it only has to have similar characteristics. Your motor appears to be "universal" and will work on both Ac or DC. I see what looks like a controller of some kind. There's too much visual clutter to see what you actually have or how everything ties together.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Any shop that could repair a good power drill could fix you up. The fields and the armature are seperate on an AC/DC universal motor. Here is one way to do it. Basically you reverse the polarity of the leads that feed the field windings and leave the wiring to the brushes alone. Use a DPDT switch. Put the field coil wires to the two center switch lugs. Put the Line and neutral to the bottom two lugs. run jumpers from the bottom lugs to the top lugs but "X" them so the wire that feeds the bottom left jumps to the top right, and the wire from the bottom right jumps to the top left.

8. goldenbear

goldenbear Member

Jackie B try here: www.electricmotorwarehouse (see link above to page)

Toll Free 1-877-986-6867
    Burton, Michigan USA 48529

This looks similar to what you have:

Universal Type AC/DC 115 Volts 60hz.
    115VAC only
    Non-Reversible

2M034EMW 2M034 1/15 CW 5,000 Sleeve 1/4 x 3/4 1.2 $66.45

My HD II from the 80's uses the V belts and pulleys, the newer HD III is a direct drive high torque motor. You may want to consider upgrading while you have it apart.

have fun,
    John

9. geeber

geeber Member

Jackie,
    That motor was sold by WW Grainger. They still sell a motor that is identical. It is 2MO34 and sells for around $70.00. Maybe they can get you a copy of the wiring diagram. In case the link don't work,their number is 800-323-0620. I hope this helps.

Gary B.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Universal-ACDC-Motor-2M034?cm_sp=IO-_-Home-_-VTV70300505&cm_vc=HPPVZ3

10. Shooting Jack

Thanks for your responses but those motors are all one directions motors that have to be modified as Leo posted. I have other motors but not the sense to wire them. The motor that I had on my line winder had been modified so it would reverse with a switch which I still have. Jackie B.

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Here ya go...

First is a replacement motor

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Universal-ACDC-Motor-2M034

Second is the idea as to how to make it reverse.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t7974360-rewire_dayton_2m034

In that most motors run one direction on AC current - it is a function of how the internal wiring is done. To change direction there is typically a wiring diagram to alter direction and/or input voltage (you see this on larger motors all the time).

It sounds as if someone has made a modified switch for your motor that allows this wiring to be changed back and forth through an external switch (actually not that hard to do).

The above motor is the exact part as per your photo, so it "should" interchange directly.

NOTE - 'old' versus 'new' and you sometimes get changes in the motor - no way to know without getting a new one and looking at them side by side.

Looks like a fun project for a rainy Saturday - if you want help PM me...

David D

12. Shooting Jack

David, the motor has been modified so there are four wires coming out instead of the normal two, which allows you to reverse the motor via a dpdt on/off/on switch and a foot control to vary the speed. Based on what the original manufacturer any of the similiar sewing machine motors would work as they are basically the same hp voltage etc. Jackie B.

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Jackie,

Two answers I see to this.

One is to take another motor and modify it with the same wires (again, a good project for a rainy Saturday). You just need to open the case and locate the correct wire pairs (Happy to help you with that).

Two, look for a motor that already has the extra set of wires coming out of it (the 'fixya' site references this). I might try calling Dayton Electric to see if they have a 1/15 HP motor set up that way.

David

14. Shooting Jack

Thanks David, I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill but did call and they advised that for $400.00 I could get a motor that had been modified. Since I use this machine to respool my and my friends fishing reels I'm not ready to spend that kind of money. I have a couple of motors that are nearly identical so may open one up to see how it is wired. In my mind it has to do with being able to reverse voltage to the windings and not the brushes. And Yes, I am out of my confort zone. LOL Jackie B.

15. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Jackie,

If you get too far out there you are welcome to send it to me and I'll do the wiring for you.

David

16. Shooting Jack

Thank you so very much David. PM me with a shipping address please and I will get it mailed off. Jackie B.

17. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Check the web for an electric motor rebuilder there are plenty of them.

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It's real easy to do, and David is a good guy for doing it for him, if he hadn't offered, I would have, it only takes a DPDT switch

19. Shooting Jack

Catpower, The motors come with just two wires but to make them reversable two more wires have to be added and I don't know enough to do that myself. I have a dpdt switch which came on the line winder. I don't believe it as simple as reversing power to the two existing wires. Maybe I'm wrong and that wouldn't surprise me. LOL I failed to show a picture of the DPDT switch and you can only see part of the speed control which is just like the foot speed controls used on some sewing machines. Jackie B.

20. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

You have to switch the direction the electricity come into the windings, it's easier on a PSC or split phase motor, but you can reverse almost any motor besides a shaded pole, you can reverse those too, but you generally have to flip the frame around to move the shunt to the other side of the rotor

Three phase are the easiest to reverse, just change any two wires

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

diagram on how to wire an ac motor to run in both directions

homemade fishing line winders using sewing machine motors

sewing machine motor armature wires