1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help....What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RogerAckerman, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogerAckerman

RogerAckerman Member

I am looking at buying a friend of mine's BT-99,it has a adjustable Comb and Butt Plate.I shot the gun for the first time yesterday for 100 rounds and noticed I was shooting low and only catching the bottom of the birds at best. I started lifting the barrel just as I would pull the trigger and managed to break a couple 24's and a 25.So I figured all I needed to do was adjust the comb up.
    I adjusted the Comb up today higher,and I still seem to be shooting low, and now I have adjusted it to the point I can't line up the center bead to the front bead to a figure 8 anymore, and I seem to still be shooting low on the bird?
    What am I doing wrong?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don't worry about making the perfect figure 8. I have a large gap between the beads where in i actually see rib.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Either get to the patterning board or lock a trap on straight aways, and figure out where it shoots. Many BTs shoot kind of flat. You might need to see some space between the beads to get it to shoot high. Mark

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Roger, As long as you are making the same fig. 8 on your barrel the gun will shoot in the same place. As said above you need to start to open the fig. 8 and get a small space between the beads. Try l/l6 to l/8 inch and see what happens, if still to low open again to 3/l6 or l/4 inch. Move slowly and give it a few trys on different days to see how its going, before readjusting again. Move the comb to where its comforable on your face to get that space. Try mounting gun with your eyes closed then open eyes and see space between beads. Move comb as needed until you open your eyes and see the new more open space between the beads. It will take a few trips to the club before you get used to it. break em all Jeff

5. RogerAckerman

RogerAckerman Member

I will give it another try this Tuesday,I'm probably fighting with the beads as you guys are saying.I'm not use to leaving a gap between the two but now reading what you have said it makes sence.
    Thanks lot
    Roger

6. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

"managed to break a couple 24's and a 25"

Sounds like a good day. I know a lot of shooters who would buy those problems.

7. RogerAckerman

RogerAckerman Member

it was a good day for sure, but I was just lucky on so many of the hits, they were just chips, nonthing really solid, but like I said, I was lifting just as I shot and was just getting close enough to get little chip here and there.

8. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

It is a game of inches, find your sweet spot 500 600 rounds maybe ? By then you be onto another gun and will start the process over again.
    Jim Z

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Forget about the beads, look at the target. Adjust the comb until you are hitting the birds in the center. HMB

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Amazing how the poi can be different from on bt to another. I just sold a golden clays that had a poi 11 inches high at 30 yds. Couldn't get used to it. i like the poi at 4 to 6 inches high. Bill Wheeler

11. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

If the center of a pattern is 6" above the target (on paper) what is the poi considered to be? Is it 70/20--or 80/20 ? Just curious. Thanks-Dennis

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Dennis,

Don't try to confuse the issue by trying to call it a percentage.

Just call it what it is; 6 inches high at XX yards.

That's easier to understand and less ambiguous.

13. Shawn

Shawn Member

Dennis
    6 inches high @ 40 yards based on a 30 inch pattern, I would call that 70/30

Shawn

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . but you would be wrong, Shawn. Six inches high is more like 80/20 assuming you have a full (over 70% at 40 yards) choke. Count the pellets some time.

Here's a completely typical example. Each horizontal line defines another 10% of the pellets, counted. The lines are about two inches apart, not three as the theory goes.

[​IMG]

It also shows another completely typical result, that being that a 90/10 pattern is centered between eight-plus and nine inches high, again not the twelve inches the theory predicts.

[​IMG]

This is why the actual number, say "six inches high" should be used. It is correct; the accepted "conversion" is incorrect.

Neil

15. Shawn

Shawn Member

The percentage method is nothing more then an approximation. One man’s 70/30 is another man 80/20 and I am OK with that.

I don't get hung up on percentages or inches. For me guns either shoot flat, which is what I like best or they shoot high.

TS.com may someday bring back the 3 hole target and eradicate the percentage method of describing a how a gun shoots. But for now at most trap clubs, 2 hole targets are shot with guns that shoot 70/30.

If you don't believe me just ask any of the old guys sitting out front drinking coffee and telling lies.

Have a great day.

Shawn

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Are you Aiming or just looking at the target? It could be the way the stock is fitting in to your shoulder pocket. Pitch and drop at heel can influence how a gun points; this will not change its impact on a pattern board. A properly adjusted stock and balancing the gun could improve the scores your looking at.
    Joe

17. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Roger, raise the comb some more as has been suggested. Quit raising it when

1. You are destroying (not just breaking) the targets when you think you have done everything right and

2. On those shots when you don't do every thing right but are a little higher or lower than you intended you still get a broken, but not smoked, target.

And quit "reading the breaks" for information on where the bulk of the shot-charge went. I thought we covered that this summer . . .

Neil

18. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I always thought my TMX was shooting too low according to the ts.com 100% high experts but today I feel a lot better about it because I just read that it is now shooting 90% high instead of the flat shooting 80% that I was embarrassed to mention. On the serious side if a BT-99 is just chipping the targets you might want to tighten up the choke because Browning rates their choke tubes in a different manner than every other manufacturer.

19. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Gentlemen:

miketmx is correct about Browning tubes.

I have an assortment of factory original Invector Plus choke tubes from skeet to full. Every tube measures one size more open than it's labeled. For example, the full chokes vary between the mid point and top end of the range for an improved modified. Two modified chokes are barely tight enough to qualify as improved cylinder.

sissy

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You were on the right track which was what changes make the birds break better. The derailment was in using the beads as sights and after that evaluating paper patterns which are shot rifle style.

The adjustable comb will probably get you shooting where you want but only if you allow those changes to actually reposition the rear sight (your eye) relative to the barrel. If you find yourself scrunching down so you can see down the rib just like some book told you then the adjustment only accomplished one thing - making you uncomfortable.

If you really need to see the rib in a certain way then that BT99 may not be the gun for you. Something with an adjustable rib will probably be necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.