1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP W/ NEW MEC AUTOMATE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WWB, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWB

WWB Member

HELP!!
    I bought a new 9000 Automate--NICE!!! Except-the darn thing will not seat the primer deep enough. It especially doesn't like Cheddite but hang up on Winchesters, Federals and even some old CCI's I had laying around. I tried lowering the drop tube a bit--just pushes it right back up--I tightened so tight I stripped one bolt and still it pushed up. It is so close that if you reach up and just touch the top of the primed & powdered shell pushing it left it rotates fine. Was is Los??? Thanks for any help or suggestions--I called
    Mec...............
    Bill

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try cleaning the contact area of the drop tube with some rubbing alcohol, also you can ruff up the contact area so it won't slip when you tighten the bolt. HMB

3. 870compman

870compman TS Member

I got a BB of shot stuck in the deprime and crimp stage of my Mec 9000.

How do you remove it?

I don't want to say how I finally remove it. There has to be a better way.

You might be having the same problem, where your press won't cycle fully. A BB of shot in the deprime stage.

Dale Wolff

4. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Dental Pick...been there !!!Grubby

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

From your description it sounds like the turret is not rotating because the primer is hanging up on the lip of the turret, right? If that's the case, you probably have a piece of shot stuck in the collet and the depriming tube is not coming all the way up or down. Try taking a small dental pick and running it up and down the slots of the collet. Also, try some lube (MEC sells it, made especially for the collet) on the outside of the collet.

Kevin

6. WWB

WWB Member

Guess I didn't explain myself clearly enough--the problem is NOT in the deprime/ resize station [#1]--it's in the next station where the primer is seated and the powder dropped. It WILL NOT seat the primer deep enough -the standard fix being to lower the drop tube slightly--no dice--just pushes the tube back up no matter how slight you drop it and how tight you try to get the clamp!

7. macgyver

macgyver TS Member

The primer seat should be a spring loaded base mounted on a stud. The stud should only go in one way but I guess it's possible to get it reversed. Check out the manual and pics in the install section. The amount of adjustment needed for the various primers isn't very much. It sounds like you may have the primer seat tube too far down and it is forcing the tube back up when it bottoms out on the base pin after using up all the travel in the bottom base spring. I would start over again by resetting the seating tube, check to make sure the base and spring are working properly, and then make some minor adjustments to the seating rod to see if it starts to work. I've had some initial issues with first time seating of W209s in Nitro and STS hulls but that only takes a tad of adjustment to overcome the seating difference the first time I switch from Rem 209s to W209s. I didn't see what hulls you were using.

8. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Try posting @ www.shotgunworld.com. There's a forum for reloading. A gentleman that goes by the name of Curly-Nohair will help you out. An excellant MEC troubleshooter.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bill- I can give you some very good advice on your problem. That is, do not listen to any advice I give you. I do not understand your problem and I load with a PW hydraulic. I fear some other posters on your thread should have given you the same advice i did.

Pat Ireland

10. WWB

WWB Member

Pat
    Where's your 1st post?? I read it once and when I came back it was gone...it was well stated and clear....
    I tried about everything I knew after 15 yrs of Mec H's and nothing worked. So
    come Tues am it goes back to Mec. Funny thing tho--it would not seat any 209 primer in any hull I tried...STS, Gold nitros, Fed Gold Medal, Fed papers, Winch or Gun Club--not a one would have the primer in far enough..
    Darn back to the single stage right at the height of the season..........
    Thanx for your thoughts.......
    Bill
    Thank you also to the rest of you who took the time to try and help

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Willie, If you have another 9000 handy swap out the seating punch and related parts(the stuff below the shell plate) Sounds like the punch is too short from the shoulder up.

Just a guess.

Jim

12. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

Just a thought here. The new 9000's have a new type of post that holds up the ring that the primer drops down into. One end is flat and the other has a reduced diameter pin sticking out about 1/8 inch. On mine that pin is down and goes into a hole on the base plate of the loader instead of just a relief dimple as on the older ones. It is different from all my other 9000's.

13. WWB

WWB Member

Jim and Gold T

Yep tried the assembly out of another Mec--no dice. GT--yep-mine has the rod with the protrudence at the bottom that drops into the hole in the base.
    I am sure Mec will come up with the answer!!!???
    Bill

14. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

When you get it solved please post the fix here so we can learn too.

Jim

15. willing

willing Member

I wanted mine, primer seat, a little higher, so I put a little paper in the hole on top of the pin. Works for me.

Bill

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I had the identical problem on my 8567. The solution was to raise the entire resizing collet via the threaded stem. That changes the relationship of the top plate to the bottom plate via the downrod and allows the top plate to move down a bit farther than it could before. Moving the drop tube down doesn't solve this problem as you discovered. At the time I did it I could see what the relationship of the parts was that created the fix but that was more than ten minutes ago so I don't remember how that worked.

17. WWB

WWB Member

===

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like the clamp holding the drop tube may need a little more space between the jaws? I'd remove the screw and use a slim flat file to remove a few thousandths of metal. That will give the clamp a better bite on the tube when you tighten the screw. Worth a try and I'd say that would prevent the tube from sliding up.

Hap

19. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Bill ,

AS Hap mentioned , you may be going "metal-to-metal" on the clamp ; so that might need attention . If that's Not the problem , Get a longer screw so that you can back it up with a nyloc-nut or some other type lock-nut . WTDT

Charlie

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

If all else fails, call MEC, they have the best customer service in the business. To late now, you will have to wait until Monday when they are open again. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec automate

mec problems collet drops too far wont cycle