1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP ! used motor oil from CAT on conv top

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigbore613, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Yesterday I had the garage open for a few minutes and a cat got in . I unknowingly locked it up in the garage with my convertible. It ran and hid in the corner where there was a pan of used motor oil and once I left it did a crap on you dance all over the car. I now have oil spots on the convertible top. Any ideas to safely remove the oil will be appreciated. I know it may seem funny but it is true. Jeff

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Upholstery cleaner in the spray can.

HM

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

.22lr

4. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

hot soapy {dawn dish liquid } water with a teri cloth for the car and a soft plastic bristly brush after you lat paper towels on the top to absorb the most of the oil first!! To scrub the top and wash and rept several times.

thanks
    lee

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Lacquer thinner and then dishwasher soap and water.

6. andybull

andybull Active Member

Laquer thinner may eat up any plastic that seals the top. It might also damage the paint.

Make sure Kitty never does it again.

7. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Simple green, hot water, and a wet/dry vac.

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Get six guys together and write a report about how the car manufacture should make its convertible tops to withstand any type of crap you put on them.

Then post the report on the Internet and ban that particular make of car from your property until the manufacturer's able to prove that their convertible tops can withstand any type of product that anybody might be fool enough to put on them.

Problem solved.

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The best thing that I've found to lift petroleum stains from surfaces that I don't want ruined, is S100. I generally get this from a motorcycles shop and it really does the job. It won't hurt paint finishes.

You'll need to gentley work it in to get the stains out of the nap of the fabric. I find that a soft bristled brush (body brush at the auto parts store) does an adequate job. Use a little warm, not hot, water to help lift the oil out of the nap (water is heavier than oil).

perazzitms method should work as well. Simple green is a good product as well, but don't let it set on your paint for any length of time as it will stain the paint.

ss

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

409 is an incredible oil cutter and won't harm

11. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

I would try a product you can purchase from your nearest RV dealer. It is used to to clean the awnings on campers, it is made for vinel fabric. These products will clean it like new.
    Fran

12. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

This is Trapshooters.com. So instead of 22lr, It should be 12 Ga.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

PerazziTMS has it right.. 2nd on the list is green palmolive dish washing licquid and a shop vac.. COLD water only..

14. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'm sure that if you read the instructions on the oil container, it will say that this material must be disposed of, PROPERLY.

"BE NICE"

15. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Someone recommended this to me for convertible top care. Ragg Top. Click above.

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Dawn dish liquid full strength...also Goop hand cleaner

17. shadow

shadow Active Member

Dip offending cat in Dawn and scrub top with vigor. Rinse cat and repeat until stain is gone.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I second the S100- buy it at your Harley dealer, simple green is ok too but S100 is better.

19. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Buzzards now circling . LOL

20. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Thanks for everyones Ideas. Tried Dawn first , also on standbby was purple stuff ,mean green and S100. after dawn the stain was less noticeable but still there. Next was S100 , picked it up at the Harley dealer.Sprayed the spots first , they went from white to yellow quick. I scraped it off and reapplied. More yellow. kept applying until no yellow. Rinsed in between applications. NO MORE OILY CAT SPOTS!!!!! Thanks guys! Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.