1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Two eye shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PhilG, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilG

PhilG TS Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Just started shooting trap and have been trying to shoot with two eyes. I am left eye dominate and shoot left handed. Today i did not do good at all!! I was hitting the target on the left or missing, i feel like i am seeing two barrels when i follow the bird. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, going back out sunday thanks, Phil
  2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Left/Left, that's perfect. Just put a piece of scotch tape on your right lens to partially obscure its clarity and allow your left eye to run the show.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    IL(The gun friendly Southern Part)
    If you are seeing two barrels it sounds like you are crossfiring which may indicate you are actually right eye dominant.
  4. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Hello Phill,,

I cannot give instructions, maybe a suggestion ? if you have
    just started with a shotgun one reason you are seeing the barrel
    might be because you are jumping from the target to the barrel as
    a reference before you pull the trigger.

It is very common for a new shotgun shooter to " have everything
    lined up " before firing.

Try looking at the target only, and pulling the trigger, this won't
    seem like a correct way to shoot clay pigeons at first.

You will be just fine shooting with two eyes, it will fall into place
    after you shoot more targets without " beadchecking"

By all means ask about instructors at your range or club, it is
    a fun sport, with great people connected with trapshooting.
  5. RogerAckerman

RogerAckerman Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Hi Phil, I am a right handed, two eyed shooter; and started shooting about

1year ago myself. When I started out I was doing and seeing the same thing. I

believe I would try to Aim with my Sights while following the bird. for some

reason I just broke the habit of doing that, all I do now is Aim down onto the

top of the trap house,I close my left eye and line up my mid bead with my front

bead. I open my left eye again (With out moving the gun from my cheek)I follow

the bird with my eyes with out looking at the sights again and swing my body

and the gun just follows.

I dont know if this will help, because its so hard to explain but give it a try
  6. PhilG

PhilG TS Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Thanks for all the help, i am defintely left eye dominate i think i am doing exactly what you guys are saying by going back and forth between bird and barrel i will try and focus just on the bird it just seems very hard. I have hunted upland birds for over 20 years but have always shot with one eye. The only problem i have seen so far is when i just focus on the bird my up and down is way off. Thanks again guys you do not know how vaulable this website is to me!
  7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Near but not in chicago
    Concentrate your focs on the target
  8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Don't mess with your right eye. Do you close your right eye when your drive, catch something, point at someting, bowl, or pick up an object? No.

The beads are for one thing...to assure yourself that your face is plnted on the stock in the correct position. After that, you focus only on the target.

Adjusting point of impact for height is done on the trap field with straight-a ways. Adjusting right or left is done on a pattern board shooting from a fixed bench. Move the comb left to move your point of impact left. Opposite for right.

First put it on the pattern board to get your right and left point of impact dead on, then shoot some targets and raise or lower comb till you start hitting targets (if you are consistant enough to bring the barrel to the bird the same way time and time again)
    PM me if don't understand.
  9. DC Claygunner

DC Claygunner Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I got my son started shooting about a year ago. I was like many, over the years I had hunted birds, and other small game with a shootgun and thought I knew how to shoot a shot gun. I really didn't, as you will find in time. Everyone is right, first, keep your eyes on the target and trust yourself not to look back at the sights. Second, make sure your gun fits you. Get with Todd or Arron with Country Gentleman to set up your gun. This has been the best money we spent. Keep shooting, it gets better. BL Allen
  10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Naperville, IL
    I practice the visuals by shooting birds in the back yard without a gun. Use your pointer fingers and keep your eyes (2) on the target. When your gun comes across where you are looking, fire. Your brain is plenty smart enough see the gun come through where you are looking. Keep looking at the target.

I demonstrated this to my wife one day by shooting her nose, without a gun, of course. I moved from a lower left hold through her nose, which I kept looking at the whole time - pow. Then from a lower right starting point and then from below. Then it was her turn to shoot my nose. I caught her doing a bead check and corrected her - don't do that. Keep your eyes on the target.

Then I caught her arm swinging. Your torso, head and both hands must move together. Demonstrated that and she proceeded to do all three holds perfectly. That girl could shoot except that she has no dominance.

What dominance check are you using?

Did I say to keep both eyes on the target?

You're doing great. The point of impact (poi) checks described above are a good idea. You don't want to be off there.

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    If you are seeing the barrel you are not concentrating enough on the target. Once the target is in the air you should hear nothing, and see only the target. Only then are you concentrating enough. Think of it this way. Think that your eyes are a 1/2" wide laser beam and you want to burn a perfect 1/2" hole in the target while it is moving.
  12. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Jun 19, 2009
    I learned to shoot with both eyes open 20 years ago. About a half million sporting clays targets later, I came to trap about the same time I started to be affected by a little cross dominance. I first installed a Meadow Industries Crossfire Reducer, amd now a Crossfire Eliminator. Fantaaaaaastic. Both eyes WIDE open, very rarely surprised by a target line and much easier to maintain hard focus on the target.

I't easy to say just focus on the target and don't look at the beads and barrels. It's much easier to actually do when all the clutter of shadow images just isn't there. That'salso why, once I've determined a gun fits as it should, I remove the center bead....just a useless distraction.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trapshooting both eyes open seeing 2 barrel