1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! trying to help a shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tara C, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tara C

Tara C TS Member

Hi trap shooters!
    This is Tara from the ATA office and I received a call from a gentleman who's friend had his voice box removed and he needs help finding a way to return to shooting. He can not call for a bird and is looking for something other than a item you step on. Does anyone know anyone that may be able to help this shooter return to the sport?
    Thank you in advance
    Tara

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Tara if he can blow a whistle that will work. If he cannot blow then maybe he could use a clicker or something else that he might operate with his off hand. As a last effort, He might have someone stand with him and call for the bird for him. I'm sure that if there is a will to compete that we can find a way.

Bob w

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

This is great. Thanks for taking the time to help this gentleman Tara. Everybody should be able to shoot no matter their disibility.

Matt

4. dvice

dvice TS Member

Hi Tara-I watched a shooter sometime ago that had a doorbell button mounted to the left side of his gun and a horn of some sort on the back of his belt. It appeared to work very well and no whistle to try and spit out.
    With the wireless technology we have that should be easy to do.
    Dave Vice

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I used to know an old fellow who'd lost his voicebox to throat cancer, he carried an electronic device around in his shirt pocket that when held up to his throat generated a synthetic voice. I'm sure that wouldn't be practical while shooting unless you had three hands but maybe they make one like it that would strap onto the throat and could be used hands free?

John C. Saubak

6. duckhunter331

duckhunter331 TS Member

One guy at our club several years ago had a pressure switch attached to his Gracoil. The switch was attached to a light on his hat, when he wanted the bird, he would pull the gun into his shoulder and the pressure switch would set the light off. It seemed to work rather well.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I shoot with a guy that uses a whistle. Works great, and it doesn't bother anyone on the squad.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've seen the whistle, the buzzer with a button on the forearm, and some sort of clicker making a snap noise on a forearm. No reason to stop shooting for these folks just a little ingenuity....breakemall....Bob Dodd

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have shot with a woman who blows a whistle out of choice not necessity. It works for her.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A whistle, duck call, clicker, or any other device that can make enough of a sound to trigger the microphone would work. I saw one shooter with a small tin cover that made a loud click and it was fastened to the forearm with tape. Another shooter had a gunsmith fasten a small piece of spring steel on one of the barrels and he would flick the spring steel and it would tap the barrel making a loud enough noise to call the target.

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Arnold Reigger,one of your Hall Of Famers, used a whistle and a Duck Call in his later years.

Ajax

12. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

I think a Pea type whistle will work fine !!!!!!

Sandy Holehouse

13. Tara C

Tara C TS Member

Thank you so much everyone I love that I have some options to give these gentlemen. I knew you would be able to help!

14. hoov

hoov Member

Tara C

My suggestion to shooter with this problem was a bicycle horn, he tried it, and has been thanking me ever since, and that was a few years back.

hoov

15. Scotty585

Scotty585 Member

I shot with a guy who used a small grunt call with a rubber mouthpiece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.