1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help the poor confused wannabe trap shooter

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Prescott Gene, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

Poor confused

A gun fits when you can mount the gun with your eyes closed, open your eyes and have the sight picture that you want. Getting the gun stock fitted to you makes that happen. That is where the pro comes in.

I would suggest that you study the different types of shotguns out there. I prefer the break open guns and really recommend a Browning BT-99 to anyone wanting a reasonable priced high quality Trap gun. They have very good triggers and are built to last a lifetime. You can find used ones on here and at the local gun club for somewhere between $1000 and $1500. Not bad when you consider the amount of money you will spend on targets and ammo over the life of the gun.

Go out to the Trap range and talk to the better shooters. Everyone will want to give you advice. Your job will be figuring out which advice to take!

Get out and shoot.

Gene

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Maybe you should take the mossberg to the stock maker. I think what it is. You are very acustom to shooting the old mossy. I shot very well with my 870 exspress field gun with just a front sight. Now I am used to my higher shooting XT. If the mossy is in poor shape it maybe time for some other gun.A few less expensive things you can do for now. Buy a adjustable recoil pad from 100 straight. For now do not have it fitted. Also try a wrapid comb wrap style comb height adjuster or moleskin,cheekeez pads or simular. Check against a pattern board for change in POI.

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You figured out how to shoot your old Mossberg and it doesn't come close to fitting you. Now you have to get accustom to shooting a trap gun that does fit you but shoots differently than your old gun. If you shoot the new gun the same way you shot the old gun then expect to miss. Sight picture different, POI different. Put it on a pattern board to get an idea of POI. Get used to the new sight picture. Practice and your shooting fun should improve, your shooitng comfort should improve, make the change and don't look back.

Don

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

It can take thousands of rounds to begin to learn a "new" gun. I like Gene's recommendation on the BT-99 guns and his description on how to tell if the gun fits. Also his suggestion you'll get way more advice than you need or want from guys that mean well at the club. Find that gun that comes up right with your eyes closed, expect to learn shooting all over again with it, and try to find a single mentor that seems to get you going with only one layer of advice....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. jhoward

jhoward Member

When I first started shooting trap I was using a field grade 870. I shot that 870 for probably 2 years before deciding to invest in a higher priced gun. Over the next year I tried probably 10 different guns, lower end Perazzis, BT-99s, Charles Daly, Beretta, I tried most of the lower end guns. I had a lot of trouble shooting decent scores with these guns. The problem was that I was used to a field grade gun, field grade guns tend to shoot very flat, probably a 50/50 pattern. Most trap guns tend to shoot higher than that, even trap guns that most people consider to shoot flat will pattern at 40/60 or 30/70. So you are probably shooting over a lot of targets with the trap guns.

As mentioned above, your best bet might be to get an 1100 or 870, they tend to shoot almost as flat as a field gun unless specifically set up to shoot higher. You could also just learn to shoot a gun that shoots higher than you are used to. Or you could go with one of the adjustable rib set ups and make the gun shoot where you want it.

Joe

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Upland, you and I are about the same size and I've been shooting a 1100 remington( off the rack) since 1972. It breaks em if I'm on, your post tell you everything you need to know; as your breaking good scores with that moosberg (my first gun) so fit is not as important as some would have us believe. That said if your going to shoot in competiton then a fitted gun may be in your future. I shoot at Maywood in Elmhurst let me know if you want to meet there and shoot I'll bring the 1100 for you to try or the SKB if you want to shoot an O/U

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You had better decide what you want to do. Be a club trapshooter or an ATA trapshooter. Because if you want to be a club shooter advice is cheap and really doesn't matter. If you want to shoot ATA and be competitive then heed the advice of Bob and Gene.

Look around your club and find the best competitive shooter and ask to just set down and talk with him. Buy him a cup of coffee. Ask him your questions.

You don't have to overspend on a "hammer" just get the right "hammer". Different hammers for different jobs.

Good Luck.

Don

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Upland, just what area of northeren IL. are you in?

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Congratulations 13 responses and know one has answered his question yet.

"Does anyone know a shotgun fitter in Northern IL that doesn't need to sell me a Perazzi"

Well does anyone know a stock fitter in Northern IL or don't you?

Bob Lawless

10. Bridger

Bridger Member

While I don't know anyone in Illinois, there's always Kolar or try larry Wehinger who is in Monroe Wi, 608-328-4339. Larry will be a lot less expensive than Kolar.

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

ivanhoe, maybe someone would help him out if he answered my question...

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

pheasantmaster

"maybe someone would help him out if he answered my question..."

Take a look at the 12 posts between his and yours and tell me why he should stick around for more of the same. He has people trying to sell him guns and telling him what he should buy. He even has one that is explaining the the percentages that a gun shoots and he has the percentages stated backward.

" Most trap guns tend to shoot higher than that, even trap guns that most people consider to shoot flat will pattern at 40/60 or 30/70. So you are probably shooting over a lot of targets with the trap guns."

I am willing to bet his first experience with seeking help on this site is not the best trap shooting moment he has ever had. Also no disrespect to you but if you know a gun fitter in IL or the surrounding area you shouldn't need to know where he is.

I don't know any in that area or even in the surrounding area or I would have said so. Out of the whole thread there is only about 3 that are worth reading. Yours happens to be one of them.

Bob Lawless

13. powderburn

powderburn Member

A question about these "remington spacers" that go between the stock and the receiver? Where does a guy get those? I put a fajen trap stock on my field 11-87 a few years back, and when I put the gun up, my thumb is annoyingly close to my nose. Those spacers would be GREAT!! Thanks for a response on this. -Patrick Fitzjarrald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.