1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP Suggestions for Scope / Got any Forsale??

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by jdlovejoy4, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Just purchased a Remington SPS in 308 I know its not the best long range gun, but I'm looking for suggestions on What power to get and see if anyone has something nice they like to sell. Of course I'm looking for a good deal but let me know what you have, and not any suggestions you may have. Oh and also ballistic wise what would the max effective range for a 308? I know you trapshooters know about this stuff too. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

0   0   0

I have a Leaupold Mark 4 on my Rem. 700... I liked it so much I have subsequently bought 2 more. They are a little pricey but they are nearly of the quality of a Nightforce without the price.

I would HIGHLY recommend a Mk 4, there was a guy selling one on the cheap on thehighroad.org, dont know if it is still available.

I generally don't count on my .308 to have much ballistic capabilities beyond 800 meters.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

as far as hunting wise on deer size animals 400yds is stretching it and you need to know your rifle and be extremely proficient...for the average hunter, 300yds is the max they should realistically attempt with the gun zeroed for 200yds (1.5" high at 100yds)

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

What price range are you in? That will dictate to a large degree what kind of scopes you are looking for.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Lyle

Lyle Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have a burris extreme tactical 3 to 12 variable that I would sell. Very good shape was previously mounted on a ar15 that only fired a couple hundred rounds. Do a search on this scope and fire me a pm if interested. Lyle

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Application is everything when it comes to picking the right glass.

But you have a rifle that should be capable of pretty decent accuracy so you want a scope that will let you take advantage of that. You can't go wrong with the Leupold VXIII line of scopes. If you are mostly shooting long range then the 3.5x10 power model would be a top pick, if it is closer range stuff then a 2.5 x 8 or even the 1.5 x 5 power might be more useful. Cabelas has a bunch of these in the bargain cave right now.

As far as max effective range, generally that is well beyond what the skill of the shooter. The .308 round does have the energy to take deer sized game well past 500 yoards and in skilled hands it can hit man sized targets past 1,000 yards. As a big game round I would consider 300-400 yards to be a practical limit. (but thats still pretty long range). The best thing to do is to practice shooting under field conditions at various distance and then determine for yourself what your max range is going to be.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

really for that gun...the 2x-7x or 3x-9x scopes like the Leupolds or Burrises are very well suited for that calibers practical uses....unless you are punching serious paper at long range needing extra tiny groups or are a Marine Sniper..extra magnification is not necessary

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

You might try the Trijicon line of hunting scopes

I have found them to be really worth the money - especially the 30mm tubed ones.

9. daveship

daveship Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

i have 2 leupolds for sale one is a 8.5 x 25 x 50mm with a 50x premier booster reticle installed by leupold 995.00 also i have a mark iv m1 16x with target turrets for the same price.both scopes were on my ar for a very short time .i sold the gun, but i still have the scopes let me know...they both have lifetime warrantee

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

You might try that simmons advertised at 55 dollars above( bt Double Trouble)- really they are pretty good scopes

I have a bunch of scopes I will sell but your price range is what would indicate what you are interested in

Again, I have had those simmons mentioned above and if the glass is undamaged you might very well like it and it might fit the rifle you own.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

0   0   0

I like the Nikko Sterlings. I have a 4x I would let go for $85.

12. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

great info and offers guys, I'm going to do some more research an make a decision. Thanks Josh

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Josh,

One final bit of advice.

Be willing to spend the same for optics as you did for the rifle. A good rule of thumb to go by.

David D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.