1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP! Stuttering

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AJ100, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

NAW, I'm not going to start this one.

AJ100

2. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Have him sing it, it works for Mmmel Ttillis. Just teasing. Mel Tillis the country singer stutters like a banshee, but not when he's singing Wierd.

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

At this moment i see a giant treble hook

Bill

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Tell him to use a whistle.

fog

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Do a Google search as there is lots of info available. It can be a genetic thing where the mind is operating faster than the ability to speak. A similar gene is related to Epilepsy.

6. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

lots of guys just say aaah.jackmitch

7. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Now then once upon a time there were some fellows fishing in Lake Erie. It seems that one of them named Doo Dah fell overboard and drowned. The rest of the fishermen drew straws to be the one to tell the widow of her husbands demise.
    Well the task fell to a fellow that stuttered. He aaassskkeeedddd hoooowwww caannn I tttteeelll hhhheeerrr. The others said to do like Mel Tillis and make a song of it.
    He appeared at the widow's door and when she asked him what he wanted to tell her he replied--------- in song!

You'll never guess who drowned today. Doo Dah!!!

8. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I've stuttered ever since I can remember, but never had problem saying pull. I'd agree with the above suggestions. have him try something with a softer onset. I know what he is going through. he can probably say the word without problem except when he has to.

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

tom, thank you for your comment.

10. otnot

otnot Active Member

I know a guy who used to stutter very badly. I ran into him one day and he wasn't stuttering. I remarked to him to the effect that something had changed. He just laughed and told me his wife had left him and since that day he hadn't stuttered. And twenty years later he is stutter free.

11. oletymer

oletymer Member

A lot of people do what JackMitch said and it works.

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Don't laugh guys. It's not that uncommon and it's not stuttering. It's really an anxiety, fear-something like a flinch and it causes a shooter to stand there, look stupid and nothing comes out of their mouth. My wife went through the exact same situation. A few sessions with a Psychiatrist that specialized in Hypnotherapy eliminated the problem and got her back in competition!!

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Prozac washed down by a 6 pack of beer 30 minutes before the shoot starts helps with the anxiety problems.

That's a joke!

However, my question would be.....if a person gets all choked up over a registered target, then do we want that person to have a loaded gun near us?

Where's Dr. Phil when you need an answer?

Curt

14. oleolliedawg

Maybe for the same reason some shooters get all choked up when confronted with the need to pull a trigger, or set a release-they can't.

Those wanabee shrinks who may have taken a Psychology course in H.S. need not comment!!

15. atashooter

atashooter Member

Use the small "A" sound. Should help alot.

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

Well I was going to say that with todays sound activated mikes that he could eat a good batch of beans the night before but that might also bother his fellow shooters.

If saying "pull" is a problem because of the "p" why aint he using some other word? Just be lucky he aint got turrets or however its spelled.

17. oleolliedawg

The problem doesn't yet exist when he shoots practice, only when he's under some self imposed stress when shooting Registered. As my wife's hypnotherapist said, "you told yourself not to think of pink elephants while shooting but now you can't not think of them. Our goal in therapy is to break that circle of thought". After $1,2000 worth of therapy she broke a hundred almost immediately and the Monkey left her back!!

18. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Hi, Stu...I stutter when I'm really stressed, but a lot less than when I was a kid (and only then when I was really stressed, too). Sounds like he is stressing out on the line.

It's usally the lingual-labial sounds that are the toughest for stutterers, so avoid using call words that start with consonants which require the use of the lips or tongue. Vowels are better.

I say "Ahhhhh" just like people above, and it works well.

19. dognduck

dognduck TS Member

if you prefer to say pull instead of another word .try this .shape the mouth as if you were going to pronounce the letter p .then shout ull . forget the p of pull it does depend on what letters you have a problem with ,dont know if ive explained it very well .