1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help stuck choke tube

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gus wasso, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gus wasso

gus wasso TS Member

any body out there know any way to get a choke tube out it is stuck pretty good need help let me know please it is a friend of mlnes gun please e mail me

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Gus: Do a search on this. This was recently discussed in depth. Lots of good input. Good Luck. Ed

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Soak the end of the barrel in a good penetrating oil overnight and then add a little heat from a heat gun on low, to the outside of the barrel, while working the tube both ways. Be patient and don't force anything.

4. RAScott

RAScott Member

Gus, what type of gun? While at the grand this year, a friend had a choke tube sieze in his new C.G. The bore for the choke was crooked and there are a few out there with this problem.

The factory replaced the entire barrel, they put it in a vise and tried to get it out. They were going to sacrifice the choke to drill a hole and get it out with a screwdriver or something.

Bob

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Before you do anything else, look closely at the muzzle. Often, a bump on the muzzle crimps a little metal into one of the notches that the choke wrench fits into. A little tap with a drift will push that almost invisible crimp back out. Also, use the penetrating oil and the heat gun and above all, use the proper choke wrench. Good luck.

6. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

if it is stuck, use a heat gun to warm the barrel enought to melt a crayon or a candle in to the threads. sometimes that will loosen it up motordoc

7. gus wasso

gus wasso TS Member

8. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I had a tube that would not budge. I plugged the muzzle, poured Free-gun to where it was an inch over the tube. 24 hours later the tube came out with my fingers. I don't know if you can still get Free-gun or not. Frenchy Frigon sold it for years.

9. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

Try this. Insert a wad to just touching the bottom of the choke. Fill the choke tube with dry ice. The choke tube will unscrew after a few seconds. Also wear gloves when handling dry ice.

10. rescuemn

rescuemn TS Member

I agree with the last post. There is a product called Kroil that can be purchased off the internet at www.kanolabs.com I use it on my chokes and only put them in and out with my fingers. It is designed to creep into the threads and disolve rust or deposits. I also spray my barrel with it and I have no plastic deposits whatsoever. good luck!

11. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Although it may or may not help gus much - (sorry gus), I just want to point out that metal tends to expand when heated. Metal tends to contract when cooled. Why do people always want to heat stuff up instead of putting it into the freezer? I did not make this up, the phenom described is called thermal expansion.

12. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Put the barrel tip in boiling water for half hour

13. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Gary they are partially right in advising heat. If the barrel is heated quickly and with a low temp, so as to not heat the choke it will work. The key is don't heat up both, hard to do. The Dry Ice is the way I would go first. J.Woolsey

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Why is it stuck? Maybe somebody used the wrong kind of locktite? Then it takes about 250 degrees F to free the choke. Use hot oil and dip the barrel end into the oil.

15. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Mr Woolsey - thank you, I would also go for the dry-ice.

16. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

Or you could turn a can of Dust-Off (computer dust spray) upside down to get the liquid, or use those little CO2 cartridges.

Dry ice is just frozen CO2, and can be hard to find, and the liquid CO2 is pretty darn cold by itself.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Heat expands metal, but different metals expand at different rates. Applying heat to a stuck tube will often break the seal between the two different types of metal. Cold can also help in exactly the same way.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

will dri ice free up rusted choke tube