1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help sorting or screening mixed shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TC, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

Found several buckets of mixed dirty shot (9 to 7 1/2 or 6) that Dad had in his shop. How can I sort or screen it? Tony

2. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

This firm has sheet stock in all sizes predrilled for shot sizes. Pricey but good. Or you could drill your own. Bring a lunch. Omaha

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Omaha, did you happen to check out what they get for shot at mcmasters....whoah!

4. TC

TC TS Member

Well, tried drilling, didn't work too good!

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Shoot it all as is for practice. I wish I could find a bucket full around my house once in a while.Have Fun. Break-em all Jeff

6. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Are you saying that the word "pricey" was to kind? They must really be proud of it. Omaha

7. TC

TC TS Member

Any ideas?

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tony- I suggest that you take an indirect approach to find the answer to your question. First purchase three different brands of discount shells each labeled #8 shot and see how they work for you. Next, load a bag labeled #8 of lower priced shot imported from South America. See how that works on the line. If you are happy with these results, you have demonstrated that you will be happy shooting the mixed sized shot you have.

Do make certain that the buckets you have are not pure lead shot. That stuff is used as ballast in many places. Also, you should make sure that the shot was not scooped up from the shot fall zone at a club. That presents a totally different question.

Pat Ireland

9. TC

TC TS Member

I really need some help here.

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have found that using a flat screen will catch the shot that is slightly larger than what is being screened for and plug the holes. Then it has to be turned over and all shot dumped and started again. So slow going I gave it up. To be effective I think it needs a vibrator or be a round drum that rotates to shake loose the shot that plugs the holes. With a simple screen I would try to screen out your 6's and let the rest fall through. good luck

11. TC

TC TS Member

I have found an old rusty perforated pie plate that will catch most of the 6's but everything else goes through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.