1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP!! SOMEONE DINGED MY STOCK!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stskid, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stskid

stskid TS Member

I had just received my brand new BT-99 Golden Clays! Had it fit at the Kolar Factory and rushed to the club to see what it could do. Next to me was a guy shooting an old Remington Model 1100 without a shell catcher. He thought it was really funny how his shells kept hitting me in the shoulder and arm until one caught my new Golden Clays on the forearm!! After a less than polite description of what I thought of his manners and sense of humor I would like to know if anyone knows where I can get the ding fixed. I don't think it has dented the wood, just marked the finish. I don't want to try the repair myself on a brand new gun. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Anyone think I was wrong to use a number off color deragotory remarks concerning his relationship with his mother?

2. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Who fixed the ding on the 1100 shooters head?

38-01615

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There is a very mild polish for motortcycle windshields and fairings that might be able to help you. I think the brand is Novus. (got a bottle around somewhere.

Local dealer should have it.

HM

4. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

I agree with Halfmile....Novus

Mash on the link

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

stskid....

You just learned a very valuable lesson: Do not shoot next to ANYBODY shooting an automatic that doesn't have a shell catcher attached to it if you are protective of your gun. Remember this fact also: Just because he has a shell catcher on the gun for singles and handicap, it won't guarantee that there is a shell DEFLECTOR installed when it comes time to shoot doubles and he takes that shell catcher off. Bottom line is, if it bothers you, don't shoot with someone with an automatic on your left or right side. (The guy on your right side may be shooting a left handed auto). I have learned to politely ask to change posts, or, if necessary, I will re-squad to prevent this problem....Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. dlfoky

dlfoky TS Member

Bummer about the gun.
    I hope the scratch comes out... but it prompts a re-telling of this story

-------------

I once knew a man who bought a brand new pick-up truck every three years.
    He loved those trucks and had one absolute tradition:

On the day he'd pick up his shiny new F-150 he'd drive straight from the dealership to the quarry and have them dump a thousand pounds of gravel in the truck's bed. Then he'd empty that stone right out and drive away happy.

That way, he figured, he'd never to to fret over where the first scratch was going to come from.

-------------

Good shooting.

- David

7. stskid

stskid TS Member

I didn't kid myself that the gun wasn't going to get a ding sooner or later. I was just upset that it hapened just a couple of days after I took the gun out of the box, also that it happened at the hands of an inexperienced clod who was seemed to be having one hell of a fun time pelting me with his ejected shells. I've put that aside now. I said my peace to him. I do have to admit, after I talked to him he was very apologetic and offered to by me a beer in the club.

I'm just interested in seeing if I can get it fixed. I'm willing to bite for the price to do it. I don't really want to try it myself, not much of a wood worker, but would appreciate any suggestions on where or who to take / send it to.

8. stskid

stskid TS Member

Trap 2,

Good advice, certainly advise I'll heed. I didn't bother to look when we started, but will never fail to look again!!

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am familiar with the Novus products. I buy mine at the Harley dealer to use on my Harley Windshield. It works great. I don't know how it would work on a stock but cannot hurt anything. There are two grades, fine and coarse. One is in a red and white bottle and the other in a bluse and white bottle. I use the coarse to get the big rock scratches out of the w/s and the fine to polish it nicely. Oh by the way, I have a beauty of a BT 99 that I bought new in 1995 and it had literally zero marks on it. The other day I sat it in the gun rack at the club, went inside to buy more practice tickets, came out and there was a 1/4 inch scar on the pistol grip upper area. ^%%*^%)*^_

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The worst part of a ding is that it discolors the wood. When I dinged my stock, I went to a hobby shop and bought a small bottle of enamel in light brown. The color was a good match, and now, though the indentation is still there, I can hardly see it.

11. bgf

bgf Active Member

If the finish is not broken you will be able to sweat it out with a damp rag and heat. Apply the rag to the affected area, use your wife's iron to apply the heat on the rag. Works for me. If the finish is broken, almost impossible to touch up.

My two cents,
    Bernie

12. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Have removed a lot of dings with steam from a tea kettle.
    Don't hold too close and not too long. Works.
    After try this might try some of the finishes recommended.

Doyal

13. Smiley

Smiley Member

stskid
    I would seek out a reputable furinture restorerv and ask their advice as after all it timber and thats what they renew
    Paul

14. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

1st it was your choice to stay on the line.

2nd, did you know that most top motocross racers won't ware a new helmet that doesn't have at least a little scrach on it first, it's bad luck. When my son was racing he always seemed to drop those custom painted helmets when they were new at least once. Unfortunately that didn't work very well, 13 broken bones, two punchured lungs, ruptured spleen, no ACL in left knee, multiple concussions and countless little boo-boo's.

15. pepsbro

pepsbro TS Member

I was shooting at my local Club last Sunday. I was on a line with four other guys all with autoloaders. My buddys where behind me on on bench laughing at me everytime I got pelted. There where shells flying eveywhere. I had finally had enough. I waited for the guy on my left to shoot caught his shell in midair and whipped it back at him. I don't know if I made my point but it sure was fun to do.

16. tom tomason

tom tomason TS Member

stskid,

I am shocked and disturbed that you shoot at a club that allows alcohol and shooting in one venue. What are you thinking . . . We should shut that club down. HA!

17. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

If you don't want to try fixing it yourself, which you stated at least twice, but everyone ignored, how about taking it to the Kolar factory? I'm sure someone there could rub out the blemish for you, even though its not their gun.

18. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Potty mouth is never an answer and just shows low class. Cussing somebody out is asking for a fight, even among adults.

I am sorry that your new gun got dinged and hope that you can get it restored.

At our club, a lot of new shooters use all types of field guns including autoloaders without shell catchers. I have seen autoloaders without shell catchers in registered shoots and shooters with break open guns that eject their shells into the air in the direction of other shooters.

If shooting on a squad with individuals who use autoloaders with or without shell catchers offends you, don't shoot on those squads.

I had a nice hunting rifle refinished and reblued by the factory a few years ago. It was beautiful. While on the next deer hunting trip, I was carrying it with care. I had to push through some greenbriers in the dark, ford a creek and climb into my tree stand. Yes, it got a small blemish on the stock. After a few minutes of reflection, I came to think of the blemish as a battle scar that goes with the territory. I did not get a deer with that rifle that day but I did get a nice buck with it the next year. The scratch does not matter much anymore and the wall mount is impressive.

19. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

Toothpaste, same as $$ motocycle scratch removers. Some guy dropped his rat Bt 99 on my new custom MX 15 P gun stock, never even flinched. He later bought a nice new $$ gun, a mysterious scratch appeared soon after.

20. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Look in the local yellow pages for a Wood Refinisher. Another source would be a local lumber yard. They sell products to help refinish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.