1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Smoking Brisket

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smartass, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartass

smartass TS Member

The rub is your choice, but salt, pepper and garlic powder are hard to beat. Use your imagination.

The longer you smoke it the better. I usually go for at least 12 hours- the first 4 in the open then the rest after wrapping in foil (that makes it very tender).

I don't think you can control the temperature in the type of smoker you described, but a wide range of temps will do- 120-180 will be fine.

It's really hard to screw up a smoked brisket, so go for it.

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

You all are making me hungry, othing better than a well cooked brisket. have a great holiday

3. wyomingjayhawker

wyomingjayhawker TS Member

After smoking for 8 to 12 hrs, let it cool for 12 hrs, warm in the oven for 6-8 at 220-235 this will be one of the best briskets you will of ever ate
    Chuck

4. Winchester_aa

Winchester_aa TS Member

Try this Rub :

1 cup Turbinado Sugar

1 cup Kosher Salt

1/2 cup Black Pepper (adjust down for less heat)

1/4 cup Granulated Garlic

1/4 cup Onion Powder

1 Tbsp Cayenne (use Chipotle or other medium pepper for less heat)

1/2 tsp Cumin

1/2 tsp Oregano

put the rub on, and let it "soak" in for a minimum of 2 hours in the fridge, but overnight is best.

The real secret to really tender brisket is this...

LOW AND SLOW

use your smoke for only about the first 3 to 4 hours, after the meat reaches about 130 degrees, it will no longer accept very much smoke. and remember soot is not a spice, but smoke is.

do not put it in without a good remote/digital thermometer. and slowly bring it to temperature.

I have a treagar wood pellet smoker, and I smoke brisket for no less than 12 hours, and I have smoked it for over 16 hours, just depends on the size.

There are many good webpages on smoking and real BBQ
    try the webpage www.BarbecueNews.com

hope this helps!
    BTW, this rub is OUTSTANDING on pork as well!(pork is easier to smoke than beef)

TH Wallace

5. emm2

emm2 Member

Keep your temperature between 200-225 degrees. Put apple juice in a spray bottle and spray the meat down every 1-2 hours. This keeps them from drying out and adds a little extra flavor. In a bullet smoker keeping temp constant will take a little work but the rewards are worth it. Hickory chunks mixed in with the charcoal will add the smoke you want but experiment with other woods to see what you like best. Good luck

6. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

Pull the brisket off your smoker when internal temp reaches around 190. Then place it in a cooler for a hour or more and let it rest. I think your making a mistake by soaking your wood. Wet would smolders producing a heavy white smoke. That could produce a bitter or over smoked flavor. The trick to smoking any type of meat is to get your smoker to produce a blue or very light white smoke coming out the stack or with your smoker coming out the top. To do this you have to have enough air coming threw to your coals to have some fire on your wood. And to keep you temp at 225-250. This can take some practice.

There is a web site called the wwwsmokering.com go to the forum any thing you want to know will be there.

I am smoking two pork shoulders two turkeys seven racks of St Louis style ribs and three racks of baby backs for the forth. And any thing else friends might bring over. I use a Southern Yankee rotisserie fired by cheery wood.

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I don't know about briskets but I can make the tenderest steaks around I just hate to pay high dollar for a resturant steak that is tough when i can fix my own on the charcoal grill for half as much and can cut it with a fork and don't even need a set of teeth to eat it.

the main thing is to use tenderizer I like the Aldolphs unseasoned bramd just put it on the use a fork to poke it in then if you want to marinate it then go ahead and the longer the better to leave in the refridgerator when grilling I have trouble of it falling apart im sure a brisket would do the same in my house also.

Ok got to go to the fridge and get some left over steak from last night.

Fog

8. Bubby

Bubby TS Member

Trappy, it is not how you cook it.... it is how you cut it that matters. You must cut it across the grain, or you can chew it forever. Once you find which way the grain is going, cut across. If the grain is running east , west, you want to cut north, south.

Here's the very best way to cook brisket. Salt, Pepper, and meat tenderizer, rub it into the brisket real good. Put the trimmed brisket on the opposite side of the fire, or on a smoker.... with the fat side up. Cook for 4 hours. Take brisket off smoker/grill, and double wrap in heavy Alum. foil..... place in a good insulated cooler, ( igloo, or Gott) overnight. Un-wrap, cut properly and serve.
    I usually start mine on Saturday evening, about 5p.m., remove from cooking about 9p.m., let simmer in foil overnight. I un-wrap around 10 a.m. cut and serve for lunch.
    Any questions feel free to e-mail.

Bubby

9. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

Correction the web site I mentioned is www.thesmokering.com any thing and every question you have will be answered there.

10. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Got this off the BBQ Forum web site:

From Mike Scrutchfield
    Thanks for all the nice compliments on my brisket. It's been very successful this year. I won over $10,000 on my brisket entries in the contests I entered this year!
    First of all you must start with good meat. The 99 cent a pound brisket just wont cut it. Always start with USDA Choice or better, I use Prime because of my meat sponsor (Beef America, Omaha Neb) but most of that is shipped overseas to Japan because they are willing to pay the price! Use Choice or better!
    Next I start with a good rub that's heavy in garlic and pepper, ("Top Secret" brand) not yet available but I'm working on it for this Spring! Seasoned about three hours before smoking.
    Smoke for at least 8-10 hours at 225 until the internal temp is in the 165-170 degree range. I like 4 chunks of Oak. 2 chunks of Cherry and 1 Hickory, with mostly white hot charcoal.
    After the internal temp is 165+ I put the brisket in foil and cook at 300 degrees (oven or smoker temp) until the internal temp reaches 205 degrees. When that's done I just put it away in an insulated environment (I use a sleeping bag at contests) still wrapped in foil for several hours to allow it to still cook until I ready to serve.
    What you have when you open it up is a brisket that you'll need to slice 1/2" thick to keep in slices and I then top it with a sweet, but still a distinctive whang,BBQ Sauce (again "Top Secret" as of this date!) to serve to the judges.
    Most of the time it'll be up there with anyone for taste, tenderness, and appearance. Those are the three aspects we are judged on at BBQ contests!
    To recap, use good meat, seasoning well, get the final ultimate temp. and top with just the right sauce, present it well. and you'll be a Blue Ribbon Winner!
    Mike Scrutchfield - RE/MAX is Cookin' Now

11. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Here's a good rub:

Dry Rub: Mix all ingredients thoroughly and store unused in moisture proof container

1 Cup Sugar

1 Cup Non-Iodized Table Salt

½ Cup Brown Sugar (Dried out lightly by exposing on cookie
    sheet room temp. several hours, or slightly warmed

5 Tablespoons + 1 Teaspoons Chili Powder

2 Tablespoons + 2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin

4 Teaspoons MSG (Accent)

2 Teaspoons Cayenne Pepper

4 Teaspoons Black Pepper freshly ground (important)

4 Teaspoons Garlic Powder

4 Teaspoons Onion Powder

12. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

We have found lots of good advice at the above link on smoking. Use the search feature and enjoy!

13. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Got this off the BBQ Forum web site:

From Mike Scrutchfield
    Thanks for all the nice compliments on my brisket. It's been very successful this year. I won over $10,000 on my brisket entries in the contests I entered this year!
    First of all you must start with good meat. The 99 cent a pound brisket just wont cut it. Always start with USDA Choice or better, I use Prime because of my meat sponsor (Beef America, Omaha Neb) but most of that is shipped overseas to Japan because they are willing to pay the price! Use Choice or better!
    Next I start with a good rub that's heavy in garlic and pepper, ("Top Secret" brand) not yet available but I'm working on it for this Spring! Seasoned about three hours before smoking.
    Smoke for at least 8-10 hours at 225 until the internal temp is in the 165-170 degree range. I like 4 chunks of Oak. 2 chunks of Cherry and 1 Hickory, with mostly white hot charcoal.
    After the internal temp is 165+ I put the brisket in foil and cook at 300 degrees (oven or smoker temp) until the internal temp reaches 205 degrees. When that's done I just put it away in an insulated environment (I use a sleeping bag at contests) still wrapped in foil for several hours to allow it to still cook until I ready to serve.
    What you have when you open it up is a brisket that you'll need to slice 1/2" thick to keep in slices and I then top it with a sweet, but still a distinctive whang,BBQ Sauce (again "Top Secret" as of this date!) to serve to the judges.
    Most of the time it'll be up there with anyone for taste, tenderness, and appearance. Those are the three aspects we are judged on at BBQ contests!
    To recap, use good meat, seasoning well, get the final ultimate temp. and top with just the right sauce, present it well. and you'll be a Blue Ribbon Winner!
    Mike Scrutchfield - RE/MAX is Cookin' Now

14. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Here's a good rub:

Dry Rub: Mix all ingredients thoroughly and store unused in moisture proof container

1 Cup Sugar

1 Cup Non-Iodized Table Salt

½ Cup Brown Sugar (Dried out lightly by exposing on cookie
    sheet room temp. several hours, or slightly warmed

5 Tablespoons + 1 Teaspoons Chili Powder

2 Tablespoons + 2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin

4 Teaspoons MSG (Accent)

2 Teaspoons Cayenne Pepper

4 Teaspoons Black Pepper freshly ground (important)

4 Teaspoons Garlic Powder

4 Teaspoons Onion Powder

15. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

We have found lots of good advice at the above link on smoking. Use the search feature and enjoy!

16. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

I'm a big fan of the http://www.foodnetwork.com/ website. Especially Alton Brown. Plug smoked brisket into the recipe search and then pick one. They're all good.Some are really good.

This 4'th we're having;

Grilled tri tip in a garlic and Lowrey's rub. Grilled medium rare. With a carmelized onion and garlic gratain. Gratain in our house is French for 'artery clogger'. Made with butter and a lot of cream. Really really good!

17. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

If you have a REAL bullet, the Weber, then you have to check out The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board. There are 71,000+ posts on barbecuing alone. The first place I go to is http://www.virtualweberbullet.com Even if you don't have a Weber it is the best knowledge base I've found.

Too warm now but this winter you should try and smoke some cheese at the end of what ever your cooking.

18. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

Well Trappy12 how did the brisket turn out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.