1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP! Shot making in Northern CO. problems.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BRAVO55, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BRAVO55

BRAVO55 TS Member

I tried to make shot with my Littleton shot maker last night and it was total disaster! I have the older 110V 6 nozzle version making 7 1/2's. It acts like the nozzle aren't hot enough and I get blobs not shot. I have chalked the nozzles the best I can as well as the ramp. I even tried holding a torch on the nozzles as they were dripping and that helped a little but now I'm getting flat shot not round.

Is there anyone between Denver and Cheyenne that makes shot? I would love to talk face to face and see your setup. I'll even bring some lead and split the outcome 50/50. I just need to see how other guys are making shot successfully! I have 3000lbs of wheel weights that are begging to be turned into usable shot.

Thanks in advance for your reponse,

Bravo55

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm on the east coast, but two quick suggestions:

With a 110v unit pre-heat the ingots before you place them in the ladle. An old toaster oven works great.

Next, be sure the lead has no zinc in it - you need to carefully separate the lead weights for ingots - zinc will mess everything up (kind of sounds like the problem you describe). Zinc tends to give a bluish-purple to golden-brown rainbow like haze to the surface of the pot when casting ingots - you get that - then you have zinc in the mix. Buy some sinker molds for that stuff and start with fresh lead...

3. BRAVO55

BRAVO55 TS Member

HSLDS- Thanks for the reply. I started collecting lead many years ago and I know it is zinc free. I am using premade 1lb ingots made from wheelweights.

I preheat my ingots two ways. 1- I place the ingots on the machine next to the laddle. That heats them pretty well. 2- I melt premade ingots in a LEE 10 pound pot I use for casting bullets. I pour the melted lead into a 1lb. mold, let it solidify, then straight into the laddle. They melt within seconds!

How full do you keep the laddle? To the top?

Rick,
    It was a little cool in the garage yesterday with a slight breeze. Maybe that was the biggest problem. I just don't like to either make shot or cast bullets without a cross breeze.

Thanks guys...keep them coning!

Bravo55

4. wild gun one

wild gun one Member

DO not fill your laddle up run your lead as high as the top of your drippers.The best shot is made on a hot day. NO breeze or fan with a 110 littelton!

5. dewley

dewley TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bravo,,,check PM

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Watch your temp when making ingots. Don't go above 650 degrees. If you melt the zinc into the mix you will have the problem your seeing. Don't mix in the wheel weights with adhesive on them, they will also plug up your nozzles. Trash the lot, clean your nozzles ( or buy new ones) and start over. Fill the cold shot maker with melted lead to cover the nozzles before you turn the shotmaker on. Keep the lead level just at the top of the nuts. Set some ply board up to redirect the wind.

7. BRAVO55

BRAVO55 TS Member

Guys,

I just finished sorting my last run of 25lbs. Only got 13lbs of usable shot. Not good enough for me! I will definately take the advice from all who have responded.

What type of coolant are you guys using. I'm using a 1:15 machine oil, but using it at 1:5 (oil to water).

Please add anything you think is helpfull.

Bravo55

8. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You can sell your lead on ebay for $1.20 per pound and then buy my polished reclaimed lead shot for $1.05 per pound. It will shoot better and you will not have the hastle. I am delivering to your area the second week of october. Terry 402-720-6347. Take a look
    leadminer_2008_220415.jpg

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Plain old liquid laundry soap. My shot drops through about 18 inches of lquid.

LeadMiner, where abouts in Colorado are you going to be? I am just South of Denver.

10. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Denver is one of my stops.

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do you ship lead in the priority boxes?there Was a guy a few years back that would do that. Killed my postman.

12. BRAVO55

BRAVO55 TS Member

Rick Barker...check your PM...

13. himark

himark Well-Known Member

FYI, If heat is a problem keep the air breezes away and keep a torch handy to help the drippers along some. You can do this until things heat up nicely.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Coolant, use Trim 206E. Buy from Grangers or ENCO ($22.00 gal.) Mix 6/1, 6 parts water to 1 part Trim. It works great. In cold weather heat to 100 degrees (electric bucket heater) before you start the process. Washes off with water. Great stuff, as long as it smells good keep using it. I've had the same stuff in for over 18 months. I just add to when the level gets low.

15. dblell

dblell Member

Bravo55
    The Littleton comes apart easy. Take it apart by loosening the nut on the screw from the bottom of the unit " in the hole on the bottom". Replace the 110v burner with a 220 bruner from a electric stove top. This gets you more heat.But you are going to have to find a 220v near the littleton.
    Another thing I have done to mie is weld a bar in the bowl so that there is a top and a bottom to the bowl Melt the ingots in the top halfand let the hot lead run over the "dam" to the lower half. That way the ingot melding does not take heat away from the lead going to the drippers.
    I agree with the person that said DO NOT USE STICK ON WW.
    I also agree with getting a 10 # lead melter pot on the side and use lead out of it when the ingots are not melting fast enough.
    I drip int Antifreeze with dawn detergent, not much dawn, The dawn helps wash the shot. I use a bucket heater to heat the coolant up to 100 and then start dripping. I stop when the temp =160. This takes about 90 minutes, and makes about 90 #s.
    I drip into a 20mm ammo can and this seems to work well.PM me if you need to see a picture of this DAM/seperator thing
    Have fun Lee

16. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

I use a electricskillet to pre heatv all of the ingots, i make all of my shot in the winter months, i also curculate my cooling fluilds through a old 350 radiater(sp) to cool it down as it wars up
    rocnc_2008_03034.jpg

rocnc_2008_030352.jpg

[​IMG]

17. BRAVO55

BRAVO55 TS Member

Those setups look good! I think I need to make more shot! I gotten so many good tips I got the fever to try them! I just need another hot day!

Keep the great tips coming!

Bravo55

18. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

19. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Are you using single drippers or are you trying to use doubles?

Ajax

20. BRAVO55

BRAVO55 TS Member

I'm using 6 single drippers.

Bravo55

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
lead shot maker nozzles
lead shot dripper nozzles
lead shot maker flat shot

lead shot maker nozzles