1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help -- Shot Maker Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PapCharlie, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PapCharlie

PapCharlie Member

Hi
    I am having problems .. with my shot maker ..
    Seems the Wheel weight that I am using dose not want through the flow the drippers. no mater what I do to them.
    I have tried cleaning them..
    Have tried using new (clean) wheel weights.
    Tried different heat. am using propane. to heat.
    I have created many tons of shot in the past.
    Thinking I may need new drippers.
    Dose any one know where to bet better drippers for this Littleton Machine.
    Thanks Pap Charlie Tyler papcharlie2@copper.net

2. notarget

notarget TS Member

Some of the new "green" wheel weights contain zinc instead of lead. Is your wheel weight supply contaminated with these?

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

You can order a new set of drippers from Magma Engineering in AZ.

Do you have a scum forming over the top of your lead? If it's Blue to Purple, it's normally Babbitt. If it turns an Orange, it's normally a Zinc alloy and if just seems brighter it's normally Tin. I say normally because we are finding a lot of different things added to the wheel weights now. All of them can put a halt to the drippers

Good Luck,
    Ajax

4. PapCharlie

PapCharlie Member

Hi
    Think .. My lead supply maybe contaminated..
    is there anything I can do about that?
    Thank for the replies Pap Charlie Tyler..

5. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Charlie are you pre processing your wheel weights into like 1 pound ingots? or are you just trying to melt them directly in the shot maker pot?

Also I really have never found the new style zinc wheel weights to be a problem their melting point is clearly higher than the lead (621.43F) Zinc (787.15F) so they float and do not melt unless you are grossly over temping the melt!

If you are not pre processing then that would be a big problem because this cleans the lead of dirt, paint etc. Also you can flux the pre melt after scooping off the clips and dross with a bit of bee's wax or bullet lube, simply drop in a pea sized bit and stir, you can light the smoke to eliminate it, this blends the tin and lead back together.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Try testing it with a "Known Good" supply of lead alloy. That might be done by melting down some shot and seeing if that works well. If that eliminates the problem, then you would need to obtain a supply of alloy that does not have Zinc or other contaminants. Sometime you can "clean" the mix by controlling the temperature and skimming off what did not melt, but it certainly is not a definite cure. Culling out the offending wheel weights would usually be the solution. Unfortunately, you won't always know which ones they are. Some may be "marked" with a Z or Zn for Zinc, but I would not count on it. There may also be other metals in the mix that don't work well. The "Tape-On" style weights might be suspect. The Iron weights just won't melt unless you really cook them, so they should not be a problem.

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

When I first started doing this in 1987, you could indeed find all the Zinc floating with the clips on the top of the melting pot. I still find a few but some of new ones are alloyed with another material that reduces the melting temperature and allows them dilute the whole batch. It's pretty well fishing sinkers after that.

Ajax

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What I have done to clean the drippers is use a propan torch on the dripper that I have a problem with. Second when making your lead into ingots if you watch the wheel weights melt and you have one or more that is taking its time to melt they are made of zink. Get that out before it melts and throw it away.

9. PapCharlie

PapCharlie Member

Anyone want to buy 800 pounds of fishing sinking making lead..

Thanks..For your help.

10. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

PapCharlie, if you want to mess with that amount of lead. There are a few things you can try.

Use a propane torch and directly heat the nozzles as you are running.

Tap on the ladle or put a vibrator against the side of the ladle.

Adjust the angle of the lip by raising the back or front of the shotmaker. (With different batches,some have run with more head pressure and some with less)

The shot won't be very good but it's usable at 16 and the first shot at doubles. It's better than 800 pounds of fishing sinkers.

Good luck,
    Ajax

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

How much for your lead? I probably loose that much fishing every year..lol..

12. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Number one thing is DO NOT buy processed WW get only raw and check it your self . Propane will cause a problem if the heat/air movement gets to close to the front and cause the drippers to cool.
    As for the lead you have may try to move it on feebay to trade for RAW ww . Its good for cast bullets. Jim Stewart will sell you a new set of drippers and you will have them in a week not 3 months. He maybe will do some type exchange they could be open up if damaged. Ajax suggestion will work too just takes time

13. PapCharlie

PapCharlie Member

Thanks.. I will try again..

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There has to be away to reclaim 800lbs of lead. How about some commercial flux, like "LETS" or "MARVELUX. Keep the heat at 600-650, and flux (stir) the heck out of it. I'm so new at this, I would try everything to save the batch.

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I tried melting some known ZINC wheel weights today for use in casting some fishing jigs/weights. It took a lot more time and heat to get these buggers liquid!!! You are running your melt way to high if ZINC is melting in your batch.

Seperate your WWs.
    Clip on lead
    stick on lead- use for shotgun slugs
    zinc and iron go into the same bucket- I give it to a local guy who comes arounf the neigbor hood. I ask for lead sheeting in trade.

I only had one batch or run of shot go bomkers on me. It was the only batch of WW I did not sort. I think I had more crap for poor fluxing than any other issues.

Pap, im thinking your unit is just not getting hot enough!

16. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Here is a good way to fine the zinc Take any thing you wany to check file a clean place on it put in a container and pour a bottle of COKE not pepsi on it In the morning it will be foaming Exrust from Kroil/kano labs Is faster but more expensive

17. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

If your lead is indeed contaminated with zinc, you are pretty much screwed. Another problem might be that you got shot of Babbit metal which is common in some of the larger truck sized wheel weights. Once you get the inside of the drippers coated with it, it's a real P.I.T.A. to get it out. Best bet is to get a new set of drippers and start over.

Been there and done that. Why I only use weights I melt now and not ingots sent to me by others.

Jeff

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

pap Do you have a 110 or 220 volt set up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

troubleshooting a shot dripper