1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP - SHIPPING MY SHOTGUN------------------------

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by plabels466, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plabels466

plabels466 Member

I have shipped several shotguns thru UPS & Fed X... I am shipping & insuring a $6000.00 shotgun to a NY FFL Dealer......UPS quoted me a price of $177.00 for 3 day air & $191.00 second day air......Fed X was more $$ to ship...I called the Post office & gave them the same identical shipping info & they told me the best way to ship was Registered mail & with the $6000.00 insurance it will cost less than $50.00 - yes fifty dollars....They also said the gun will be shipped under lock & key all the way & would probably take 7 days..... I never shipped this way & would appriciate any help you can give me......Thanks.......Pete

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have shipped numerous guns through the post office. No problems whatsoever. I ship Priority mail; but with a gun of that value, I would opt for going the "Registered" route. Just be sure to check with them about proper wrapping of the package. First of all you should not have any reference of it being a gun in the address or anywhere on the outside of the package. i.e., If you are shipping it to ABC Pawn & Gun Shop; I would address it as ABC Pawn Shop or something like that. Also, I believe when you ship registered, you can't use the shiny packaging tape on the outside of the package. You might want to check with the postmaster. Hope this helps. Ed

3. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

No Brainer. USPS

4. primed

primed Well-Known Member

esoxhunter has it right. I only ship firearms of that value via registered mail. A little slower but as secure as it gets. Never had an issue of any kind. Often times it is less money than priority with insurance because the risk of loss is less so the insurance is less.

Bob

5. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Note on the insurance,you would only be remiburst for what you paid for it with documation. You may say its worth 6k and you sold it for 6k but your recipt is $4900 that is what you get. That being said long arms in Pa. do not need paperwork when it is private to private deal so there are a lot of guns with out paper work floating around.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

prioity mail, three days and the cheapest. UPS broke two stocks for me, post office has been fine

7. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Registered Mail through the USPS, very secure. Must be signed for at each stop. If you have a loss it is a lot easier to get reimbersed through the Post Office than UPS.

Booger

8. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Check with the PO for proper tape to use with registered mail. I believe it is a paper tape. Good Luck.

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Ed and Booger are right about the paper tape for registered packages. The first post office, post mark stamps the tape multiple times to show if the package has been opened and re-rapped with new tape.

Jason

10. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I sent my Alfermann back to Gary recently to be converted to a release trigger. I shipped it registered mail (USPS), insured for $7000. It took about five days to get there, and cost me about $55. Gary sent it back via FedEx two-day air, and it cost me about $145. Since it arrived back in perfect shape, I presume it was not damaged in transit either way. I shipped it boxed inside its Americase, as did Gary.

11. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Wow, what great advice you guys have given me...I will ship USPS registered...,.As usual this website is the greatest & I can't thank you all enough...........Great shootin'..................Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.