1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help shipping gun to california

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Brian, I am not sure of all the new rules, but here is what I believe to be at least a good starting point for you. First you will more than likly need a FFL at your location. Next a FFL at the buyers location in Ca. Next your FFL will start the paperwork for the sale of the firearm. The FFL in Ca. will then have to contact the state and get the proper OK from them and a set of numbers from the state that your FFL will have to put in with the gun before it can even be sent to CA. It is a big hassle and I am sure Both FFL's will charge extra from both ends for this to be done. Alot of FFL's don't even want to bother with it at this point. But I am sure in time it will become easier at both ends. Best of Luck with your sale. Oh, Yeh don't forget to Break-em all. Jeff

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

A private citizen can ship a gun to a FFL dealer in California. A FFL holder must first obtain written permission from California to ship a gun there. If the dealer there will only accept guns from another FFL holder, you must find a dealer willing to get the permission certificate

3. tp

tp TS Member

Just as a point of clarification, it is the shipping dealer who gets a number to be included with the firearm shipped to the California FFL. The link is on the California DOJ website. As with all bureaucracy, it is one additional irritant but a minor one.

Steve12 thanked this.
  4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Any out-of-state FFL dealer shipping a gun into CA, MUST first obtain a CA DOJ certificate for an approved CA FFL dealer.

If not done, the FFL is supposedly guilty of a felony in CA. Not sure how that works.

I have no clue about personal to an FFL. Chances are it would be equally as strict. Can't understand it not being so, as an FFL to an FFL is one step above.

Click the site above...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.