1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Setting Stock Pitch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 12ShotTwo, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I'm looking for a way to determine the correct stock pitch for a new custom stock. My singles gun has zero pitch and my current doubles gun as a 5 degree "in" pitch and for the life of me can't seem to decide if one is better than the other. Both are comfortable and I can shoot all day. I see a lot of custom stocks here on TS with some "in"pitch. Looking for help. Thanks Joe

2. mad_dawg

mad_dawg Member

experimentation....

I'm in the middle of tweaking my pitch.

The link is informative.

3. larryjk

larryjk Member

12ShotTwo, Pitch is the hoodo of recoil pad fitting, but the simplest of problems when understood. If you put a straight-edge on the rib of your shotgun and then drop a line down at 90 degrees to that line you have 0 (zero) pitch. If you bring the bottom of that line forward you are creating "positive pitch". If the line is back of the "zero" line, you have negative pitch. Negative pitch will cause the shotgun muzzle to tip up upon firing. You do not want "zero" degrees of pitch. If you check commercial stocks you will find they have about 4 3/4 degrees of pitch.
    There are other ways of determining pitch that are related to voodoo science. They are variable due to receiver length and barrel length. You will see them referred to as expert shotgun fitting science. Crap.
    I don't understand what "in pitch" is. "Cast" can be in or out, depending whether you are right or left handed. Cast is a very important part of shotgun fit but another subject.

Bluegoose thanked this.
  4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The pitch is correct FOR YOU when the whole pad, "top" to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder as the gun is being mounted. If the bottom "toe" of the recoil pad makes contact very much before the top of the pad, you are likely to experience "cheek slap", caused by excessive barrel (and comb) rise during recoil.

All shotguns have barrel rise during recoil. This is because the stocks of shotguns angle downwards from the axis of the barrel. Barrel rise cannot be eliminated but it can be reduced, by higher pivot points, and by stocks that do not angle down as much, which is one of the benefits of un-guns and other guns with high ribs.

The nearer the axis of the barrel to the point on the recoil pad where the gun pivots upward during barrel rise, the less barrel rise there will be. Therefore, when the gun pivots on the bottom of the recoil pad, barrel rise will be much greater than if it pivots on the upper "heel" of the pad.

Along those same lines, it is usually best when the top of the recoil extends above the collarbone. This style of gun mount helps many shooters shoot with a more naturally erect head and neck posture and reduces barrel rise because the collarbone is a firm pivot point on the shoulder.

Rollin

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Question; Wouldn't pitch be determined from the barrel, and not the rib? Most trap ribs do not run parallel to the barrel. Jon

6. erock_germany

erock_germany Member

There is a new adjustable pad from Krieghoff that allows you to change pitch....

7. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Larry -- Thanks for clarification, my doubles gun then has about 5 degrees of positive pitch then. The article mad_dawg referred to is very informative, I'm going to try his recomendation at the club this week. Joe

8. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

International shooters and coaches seem to favor the less is more approach to pitch. 4" of downpitch is more than excessive. Nothing to maybe a couple inches would be far more the desired. Close to nothing works for me.

RO's explanation above is right on, but there is no way that I can envision to determine when that full contact is being made other than when the thing quits hitting you in the face.

Less is more seems to always work.

JMO of course

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Semperfi,

If you want to be compulsive about it, put on a tight tee-shirt and step in the shower couuple of minutes to saturate it. Then, slowly mount your gun and watch how the recoil pad makes contact with your shouder.

Or, you could wet the recoil pad with contrasting color of oil-based paint and mount the gun slowly to see which part of the recoil pad makes contact first - but that might be inconvenient.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

buttstock pitch for trap guns

correct pitch for trap gun
correct pitch on shotgun
correct shotgun stock pitch
pitch degrees stock
pitch krieghoff stock
setting the pitch on a shotgun stock
understanding shotgun stock pitch