1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help save the MiraMar Shotgun Range

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SanDiegoShooter, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SanDiegoShooter

SanDiegoShooter TS Member

Here is a message from San Diego Shotgun Sports home page. Please write a letter if you can to help save this wonderful shooting facility.

Thursday, October 23 - I would like to say thank you again, for all the suggestions and offers of help. One thing everyone who is concerned about the future of SDSSA can do is write your Congressman and MCAS Miramar. All that needs to be addressed is what SDSSA means to you.

SDSSA offers programs such as introduction to shotgun sports, hunter safety and Boy Scout merit badge. We are a training facility for Olympic hopefuls as well and have a nationally recognized Scholastic Clays Target Program. SDSSA supports the Paralyzed Veterans of America, who hold their Annual National trap shoot at our range. At our present location on MCAS Miramar, SDSSA / Miramar Trap and Skeet Club have been a local, world-class shotgun sports venue for over 30 years. Navy personnel as well as the Marines have had shotgun training at our range. SDSSA is the only shotgun sports venue in San Diego County that offers monthly ATA registered trap shoots and NSSA skeet shoots.

I received a letter that was copied to Congressman Hunter from a 13 year old boy who has a goal of shooting in the 2012 Olympic Games. SDSSA is the only local range with international bunkers that enable him to practice. That boy along with all the other kids in the SCTP is the future of our sport. Take 5 minutes and write a letter. Thank you. Below are the addresses of Congressman Duncan Hunter and Colonel Christopher E. O’Conner, C.O. of MCAS Miramar.

The Honorable Congressman Duncan Hunter
    1870 Cordell Court, Suite 206
    El Cajon, CA 92020
    PHONE: (619) 448-5201
    FAX: (619) 449-2251

Colonel Christopher E. O’Connor
    Commanding Officer
    PO Box 452001
    Marine Corps Air Station Miramar
    San Diego, CA 92145

Robert Keefe , President
    SAN DIEGO Shotgun Sports Association

2. SanDiegoShooter

Here is a message from San Diego Shotgun Sports home page. Please write a letter if you can to help save this wonderful shooting facility.

Thursday, October 23 - I would like to say thank you again, for all the suggestions and offers of help. One thing everyone who is concerned about the future of SDSSA can do is write your Congressman and MCAS Miramar. All that needs to be addressed is what SDSSA means to you.

SDSSA offers programs such as introduction to shotgun sports, hunter safety and Boy Scout merit badge. We are a training facility for Olympic hopefuls as well and have a nationally recognized Scholastic Clays Target Program. SDSSA supports the Paralyzed Veterans of America, who hold their Annual National trap shoot at our range. At our present location on MCAS Miramar, SDSSA / Miramar Trap and Skeet Club have been a local, world-class shotgun sports venue for over 30 years. Navy personnel as well as the Marines have had shotgun training at our range. SDSSA is the only shotgun sports venue in San Diego County that offers monthly ATA registered trap shoots and NSSA skeet shoots.

I received a letter that was copied to Congressman Hunter from a 13 year old boy who has a goal of shooting in the 2012 Olympic Games. SDSSA is the only local range with international bunkers that enable him to practice. That boy along with all the other kids in the SCTP is the future of our sport. Take 5 minutes and write a letter. Thank you. Below are the addresses of Congressman Duncan Hunter and Colonel Christopher E. O’Conner, C.O. of MCAS Miramar.

The Honorable Congressman Duncan Hunter
    El Cajon, CA 92020
    PHONE: (619) 448-5201
    FAX: (619) 449-2251

Commanding Officer
    PO Box 452001
    San Diego, CA 92145

Robert Keefe , President
    SAN DIEGO Shotgun Sports Association

3. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Any one have their email addresses?

4. SanDiegoShooter

Here is a link to Congressman Duncan Hunters web dite. From there you can click on the contact link and email him. I do not have an email for the Col.

http://www.house.gov/hunter/contact.shtml

5. front242

front242 Member

I found the following e-mail address on a page that says "Base Commander Col. Christopher O'Connor cares about your opinions". It suggests e-mailing to tell him how things are going or with suggestions. Sounds like a start... I'll keep looking for a direct line.

miramarmail@usmc.mil

Tim O
    F242

6. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Well I wrote my letters and got them in the mail today.

I hope all you other shooters that want SDSSA back will do the same!

Kevin King

7. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I am not an official member of the club, but I do shoot ATA there! I wrote my letters and emails over the weekend..If we lose this one, we may lose them all!....LarryB

8. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

Congressman Brian Bilbray added to the list of Local Congressional supporters. Read the new post on our web site.

Augie

9. Bucko43

10. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

How about some facts.

Who authorized the environmental study at Miramar?
    For what purpose?
    What company performed the study?
    Has a report been published?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Mr. Daddi, you appear to be the most informed person on this issue (at least on TS.com), how about some answers?

Chip

11. SanDiegoShooter

12. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

13. Bucko43

14. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Folks, Don't just write to California politicians. Write your own congressmen and senators. San Diego Trap and Skeet (Miramar) is an important facility for all of us. It has been one of the best gun clubs in the U.S. for over 30 years. It has always been in the same place on the military property (formerly Navy "Top Gun" school now Marines).

Miramar has two olympic bunkers. Josh Lakatos, winner of the Silver Medal at the Atlanta Olympics trained there. Several of our very best young olympic hopefuls trained there.

Miramar has consistently provided community support for groups like the Boy Scouts, Handicapped Veterans and other groups.

Members of the military shoot for free at Miramar. That is FREE. They are given shells, targets and the use of guns. Why in heaven would the military not want such a range on its grounds? It makes no sense.

The lead thing is a red herring. Miramar has been shooting on the same range in the same area for over 30 years. The lease parameters of the club have apparently been drawn a bit short of the fall zone. But, there is nothing on the other side of the fence but the same terrain. The shots go nowhere near any buildings, runways or other facilities. There is no new or different environmental issue. Nothing has changed.

Please write. Please. Many of you spend lots of time writing and reading on this site. Take 15 minutes and write your representatives. Write the base commander also. It could make a huge difference. If you really care about our sport, write.

15. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

So, I ask my questions again --

Who requested the study?
    What was the reason for the study?
    What company conducted the study?
    What were the findings?

Do you guys out in San Diego even know who or what you are up against?

What feedback have you received from Hunter, Bilbray, or the Marines?

That is one fantastic facility to loose! Who is heading up the fight to save it?

Chip

16. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Any new information on the club??? Heard the SDSSA board of Directors had a meeting with Congressman Hunter this week!..Enquiring Minds want to Know!

17. Bucko43

Here's the latest from the SDSSA website:

Friday, October 31 - We have yet to receive a response from the Marines to our request for a copy of the preliminary report.

SDSSA has retained the services of an expert in environmental assessment and lead management to help us in developing a lead management plan. The Lead Management Plan/Best Management Practices (LMP/BMP) is a precondition required by the Marines prior to a lease extension.

There has been a good response to the letter writing campaign. California State Assemblyman from the 74th assembly district and SDSSA Life Member, Martin Garrick, has offered his assistance in the lease discussions with the Marines. We look forward to working with Mr. Garrick as well as Mr. Hunter and Mr. Bilbray. You will find their District Office addresses and phone numbers along with Colonel Christopher E. O’Conner, Commanding Officer of MCAS (Marine Corps Air Station) Miramar below.

U.S. Representative Duncan Hunter
    El Cajon, CA 92020
    Phonr: (619) 448-5201
    Fax: (619) 449-2251

Commanding Officer
    PO Box 452001
    San Diego, CA 92145 U.S. Representative Brian Bilbray
    462 Stevens Avenue, Suite 107
    Solana Beach, CA 92075
    Phone : 858-350-1150
    Fax : 858-350-0750

CA State Assemblyman Martin Garrick
    1910 Palomar Point Way Suite 106
    Carlsbad, CA 92008
    Ph: (760) 929-7998
    Fax: (760) 929-7999

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

What ever happened to the new site Miramar GC was going to move into prior to the Marines taking over? I saw the plans, maybe 8 years ago.

19. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Letters sent to COL O'Connor, to the HQ PAO in DC, the Marine Corp Reserve PAO, to the Marine Corp Family Network, and to MarineCorpWives.com (the last two were for help in writing letters of support).

20. front242

front242 Member

Nice job Curvy!

The help from out of area folks is much appreciated.

Tim O.
    F242

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.