1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help!@ S&W model 60 vs Taurus 65&66

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

A close friend is looking at S&W model 60 for personal defense etc. He is also looking at the Taurus 65 & 66. What are your opinions of all?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

both are good but the S&W will resell for about what he paid for it the T gun will lose 1/2 and that is taking out of the box.

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

You can't compare a Taurus copy to a S&W revolver. The Taurus
    is not as reliable and resale is poor.

4. redhawk

redhawk Member

S&W No comparisan!

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

S+W is a better built gun. Taurus is a cheaper made gun. S+W has a better resale rate. Taurus does not. You will get more of a return if you sell your S+W then with a Taurus. Taurus has a poor resale vaule. Tell your friend to buy the S+W and he will not be sorry. I told that to a friend who was doing the same. He bought the S+W and later said thanks for helping him decide.

6. jwells

jwells Member

resale on the taurus would remind you of your ljutics resale value. and the taurus isnt even in the league as the ljutic

7. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Smith & Wesson!

Allen

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Taurus is a hit-or-miss gun. There are often times we have to send them back to the factory to correct defects when we receive them new, before we can put them on the rack. Service is slow, resale is terrible, and so on.

The Smith has none of these problems. Just shop around and don't get hammered by a greedy dealer.

Right now, the Airweight series, models 637, 638, 442 and 642, are the way to go for concealed carry. They wholesale for around $389, and many distributors ship for around $20.

We sell them new for $459.

9. Robb

Robb Member

What about the Ruger LCR? I hear they have a .357 now.

10. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

No brainer..............S&W

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've owned three Model 60's and two 36's over the years. Still have 2 60's and one 36. Sometimes they were made well and sometimes they needed some help. I've owned a couple of Taurus revolvers and they are no longer mine. Sold them, since they didn't feel as solid as the S&Ws. Taurus makes a decent revolver, but the Smith is usually a better piece.

12. larryjk

larryjk Member

I have a 3" barreled Model 60 with adjustable sights than always goes with me. You want to have a firm hold if you light off a cylinder full of heavy loads, but that is only occasionally. I normally carry it with 150 gr. cast bullets. My daughter borrowed it when she was driving in a "non-secured" area. When a car load of inconsiderate youth tried to force her off the road, the mere display of the revolver changed their minds immediately. Her husband bought her one of her own that goes everywhere with her. He used to borrow it and finally bought one for himself. We all think they are the greatest little friends. We all have "shall issue" permits so we can have more liberty on how we carry them. The Taurus is better than nothing, but never as good as a S&W. Don't worry about the resale because you will never want to part with it.
    (Recently she was in a state that doesn't have "shall issue" and a LEO saw the grip sticking up alongside the seat. He asked her why she had it and what authorization she had. She showed him the permit and he told her she ought to put the grip lower so someone wouldn't confiscate it. Great guy1)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
taurus 65 vs s&w 66
resale for taurus 66
s&w 60
s&w model 60
s&w model 60 taurus equivalent
s&w model 66 vs model 60
taurus 65 modeled after s&w

taurus 66 vs taurus 65