1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Calkidd, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

What are your reloading components you are using?

2. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Go get yourself some Nobilesports. they burn a little cooler then most others, they are tighter going in, for the price you cant beat em.

Also ive personaly found shotshell reading much more flexible and forgiving then reloading pistol cartridges. you can change primers, unless you are making a shell thats near the edge of safe barrel presures.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

He does not need to go buy more primers. He said he already has Winchester 209's. What he needs is a recipe for the components he has. First he has to name what he has besides the W209 primers.

In short, NO you just can't swap any primer in any recipe. Some you can with no problems and some its a bad idea.

4. grntitan

What hull are you gonna be loading? It makes a difference.

5. grntitan

For Winchester AA hulls....

[​IMG]

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Check what primers you really have. There is no such thing as a Winchester 209A primer. Winchester makes a 209 primer. Federal makes a 209A primer, and it is a much hotter primer and not an acceptable substitute for a recipe calling for a Winchester primer.

7. grntitan

I do not have nor could I find any data for:

Winchester 209 primers<br>
    Remington Hull<br>
    Red Dot Powder<br>
    CB1100-12 Wad<br>
    1oz Shot<br>

I would call Alliant and ask. 1-800-276-9337

8. 548

548 Guest

Your question is can a reloader exchange usage of Remington primers for Winchester primers and expect nearly identical results. The answer is, yes, you can. Except that you should be prepared to save money because Remington has decided that their products should garner a 25-30% premium over Federal and Winchester. Fatal mistake in my opinion. I switched from Remington primers to Federal primers for that reason.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The pressures are so low you can switch primers to Fed209A w/no problems

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. 548

548 Guest

yes

11. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I run that exact load a lot. 18grs. and load 'em up !!

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The Remington primers at the local Farm & Home are $59.99 a thousand, Winchesters are $33.99 (earlier this year they were $29.99, but since the economy is so much better they jacked the price). I believe you can now see the major difference between the two. This is all just a part of the learning curve of reloading. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I've reloaded for 35 years AND have been on the 27 for that long.

Reason I mention that is because in 500 reloads I could have in a handicap reload, every kind of American primer in the reloads. We tend to get too anal about being afraid to mix primers.

If you think this affects shell performance, try chronographing brand new factory shells. You'd be shocked at the results. I see more standard deviation in them than my reloads.

I have customers who want a bushing to throw an EXACT drop. I just scratch my head because powder lots differ, humidity, amount of powder in the reloader, etc all affect drops.

Just be careful not to use the maximum load for a particular powder. That's where problems occur.

WW

14. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

What Whiz said !!!

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Right on, Whiz!

Hauxfan!

16. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Get a reloading manual (they are free), read it and see what difference changing components makes. I agree with Whiz, I saw a study of variance in FPS in factory shells. As I recall the average was over 35 FPS on the most consistent and around 50 on the others. I use a grounded reloader, hydraulic assist with shot and powder baffles. I also weigh each powder lot and adjust the charge. Per the above study, my variance should be about 20 FPS, a chrono verified that in a 10 shot test. Biggest thing changing primers will do is affect the chamber pressure.

17. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

If you are on the site then u have a computer. Go to the powders manufacturer s site and get the damn details. Little difference between win 209 and rem 209s. If you go Noblesport option stay with them because they are slightly larger and your hulls will be "enlarged" after using them. Am I the only cheap ass that uses cheddites? $23 at my club. 1 dead primer out of the 10000+ I ve bought in the past 2 years. Smidge hotter than the win209s.

18. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Whiz is correct. Stay well within the safezone and the primer wont matter much. Load outside of the safezone then the primer, along with all the other components, and plenty of other things, will become a your problem.

19. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Thank you Whiz....I have always believed that primer selection is not that critical and I will stand by that. However, I do emphasis if you are loading at maximum, maybe that alternative selection will put you in danger.

Bryan

20. brownk80

brownk80 Member

I pretty much agree with the last few comments, but, if you Google Shotgun Primers and look around there is a chart which used the same components, shell, powder (I believe 17grs of 700X) and wads except they switched primers using 7 or 8 different ones. The speed varied somewhere around 50 or 60 fps BUT the pressures varied something like 2500 PSI!!! That is enough for me to be careful when I switch primers because of supply or costs.

I believe there is also a chart switching wads as well.

Doesn't hurt to be careful.

Good luck