1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help... PW 28ga &.410 crimps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lofat2, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lofat2

lofat2 TS Member

Going nuts w/ inconsistant crimps on Pw 900`s. I`ve changed hulls on both ga.`s from AA HS to Old Style AA & Rem STS, w/ the same problem. The pre crimp head on both machines & ga`.`s has a hard time picking up the existing folds on the hulls every time. If the pre crimp tool follows the pleats, I get a perfect shell. If it does`nt the final crimps come out nasty. 12 & 20 ga. are perfect, but I don`t know what else to try on 28 & .410. Any one else running into this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Did you use the original wads with old 28 gauge hulls? If not, you'll run out of room. Nearly everyone is having problems with the new HS hulls unless you get the new shorter claybuster HSAA wad which is shorter than the winchester HSAA wad, or use quite a bit of wad pressure. I settled with Longshot cause took the least amount of hull space. Even the new Alliant 20/28 requires more space than Longshot. It's difficult to get good crimps on the new HS hull. I've not had a problem with the .410's and 296 powder w/ HS wad. Just my experience, but reload a lot of 28's and 410's

3. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Bob - What ind of pre crimp head do you have? Is it the metal one with the wire ears or the plastic cup. I had a similar problem on my 410 800B. I talked to Bruce at PW, and I replaced the plastic cup with the metal one with wire ears. Works great now. Billy

4. lofat2

lofat2 TS Member

Billy- I`v got the metal one w/ the wire on the .410 machine, & the plastic one on the 28ga. Its crazy that both styles are doing the same thing. I understand its harder to do a 6 pt. crimp than a 8pt.(12 & 20 ga.) I can`t figure out why both machines are doing it. Bob

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Try comming up to the precrimp a bit slower...give it time to find the creases.

6. lofat2

lofat2 TS Member

Setterman, Thanks for the reply. I don`t have a wad problem. Using Rem PT-28`s on 28ga. & have plenty of room. Now using STS hulls on 28 w/ Rem wads. The problem is inconsistant pre crimp. I just can`t get pre crimp constant. Bob

7. lofat2

lofat2 TS Member

Ahab, I though about doing that, but I`m afraid that if I do that, my powder drops will be all over the place.Bob

8. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

The problem that I had with the 410 originally was that the pre crimp was not rotating to line up with the folds. What Ahab said might work. I found that the one with the wire ears indexed to the folds lots better than the cup type. After you try Ahab's suggestion, look to see if the wire is catching the folds and rotating the head properly. You may want to lower the pre crimp head a little or see if you can push the wires in a little. On both types, see if you can spin the head freely, the bearings may be shot. Also, there are two types of cups, PW replace the first with a second that was supposed to work better. Bruce at PW and Whiz on line here are the best sources of info on this. Bruce told me that the cups didn't work well on 410 and that is why he recommends the wire ones. Billy

9. lofat2

lofat2 TS Member

Billy, I talked to Whiz yesterday. He likes the plastic better than the wire, and I did close it up a little bit. It seemed to help a bit on the .410, but the situation w/ the plastic one on the 28ga. is unacceptable. I`ll call PW tomorrow & see what they say, but I have`nt had much luck w/ them in the past. Thanks for your help. Bob

10. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Bob - On both of them, try loosening the set screw on the tool head and bring the pre crimp tool down a little. I tuned the pre crimp to the hull. It worked great on the 410. I have the wire type on my 28 also and have no problem. Let me know how it works out. I didn't try this on the cup one, but it might work. Billy

11. lofat2

lofat2 TS Member

Billy, I`ll try to get the wire from PW for the 28ga. In the mean time I`ll bring it down & try that. Thanks again for your help. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.