1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help!! post 1&2- lefts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i have never struggled with lefts but am now!! on #1&2 posts when i get a hard left, it actually brings fear . i originally thot i was holding wrong- holdpoint is at top left corner in about 6" (laying barrel on roof line) then i raised up about a foot and then more-- still fear and a hardjerk, with the gun actually shaking as i went to the target. i either dont(can't) pull the trigger or other times , i try to slowly track the rock but endup loosing focus as i struggle and shoot behind ????? the sad part is, that unlike a lot of my other problems i've had in the past, i feel no desire to trade guns!!!???

2. lc

lc TS Member

Your left eye is taking over.

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

why wud that make me jerk so darn hard and have the feel of a "hard" trigger

4. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"i either dont(can't) pull the trigger..."</blockquote>

This is a flinch. It is your subconscious mind telling your conscious mind that the gun is not in the right place to take the shot. Something looks wrong, and if you try to pull the trigger anyway, the conflict creates the feeling of paralysis.

<blockquote>"...or other times , i try to slowly track the rock but endup loosing focus as i struggle and shoot behind ?????</blockquote>

Tracking the target slowly usually results in bead-watching and gun-stopping. I did that constantly until Nora Ross wacked me on the back of the head and told be to "never dawdle to the target". She told me to take whatever time I needed to get a clear visual lock on the front edge of target and and then to move to it aggressively and let my brain do the rest. That was some of the best advice I ever got.

Carol Lister

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would try going to the club by yourself and shooting a bunch of practice from post one. Don't keep score. Dump 50 or so shells in your pocket and shoot. Shoot by yourself, don't let anyone watch you. Let the trap oscillate, you will get plenty of left birds. You need to get over the mental fear you have from post one. You may, or may not have a flinch. It is very unusual to flinch on just one target. I suspect your problem started because you are coming out of your gun as you swing left. Seventy five to 125 birds shot from post one for a few days could change your attitude and make shooting from post one comfortable.

Pat Ireland

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Footing, footing, footing. You should be facing the house more squire on stations 1&2 if you are a right handed shooter....if you don't you'll likely run out of swing.

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Although any of the above answers could be correct, I recently was having a similar problem and could not diagnose it. My solution came from Ray McKissik, the eyewear salesman at the PA State Shoot. As I was walking by his workplace, he stopped me and asked to look at my glasses. He told me that they weren't sitting on my face properly. Being right handed, he said that my perscription should be centered slightly to the left which he corrected by very slightly bending my frames.

This worked for me.

Ed Yanchok

8. steve coker

steve coker Member

You know a lot of the answers above could possibly come into affect. I have the same problem myself. I have come to the conclusion that my left eye is trying to take over. I have started using a patch on my shooting glasses. It is working for me. It is something that will require a lot of practice to master. You might want to check it out, and stay in the gun

Steve Coker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

post 1 trap trouble

trap shooting problems on post one