1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP, Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jm1079, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Just go back from the range with my 391 that i let a friend shoot a round of trap with it. somehow in the process, the comp-n-choke tube loosened up enough to leave a gap netween the bottom of the choke and the end of the bore where the thread starts. short story, choke tube is really stuck like frozen.
    Does any one have any ideas on how to loosen the choke tube without ruining the barrel?
    Any info will be much appreciated. JM

2. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

EE is correct Kroil will work miracles on most anything stuck. Brownell's sells it.
    Carey

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Using an electric heat gun, gently heat the outside of the barrel while trying to loosen the tube. Don't overdo the heat. Kroil is ok, but not many vendors have it when you need it.

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

would KROIL be available at a Home Depot or Lowes? would Liquid Wrench work if I can't get Kroil? thanks for the info, guys. jm

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Liquid wrench is not quite the same. I don't remember where, but I think one of the Big Box Outdoor Stores like Bass Pro Shops had some once. I get mine at the local gun shows. Theres a couple of vendors that sell it.

I'd still try the heat. I would freeze the barrel first and do the heat thing. It has worked well for me a couple of times. You just need to work quick and heat the barrel before the tube heats up. Most often, just the heat works fine. You could try a couple of LIGHT taps with a plastic mallet beforehand. Tap straight towards the rear of the barrel, striking the tube square.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you an't find Kroil at any sporting outlets, the next best would be PB Blaster. That is available around the mass marketers.

Give it a day to soak and don't force things.

HM

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I've shot that gun and those chokes and other chokes for a long time and I've heard of chokes being stuck that were over-tightened, but never because they loosened when shooting. I have a bad feeling that something else is wrong that isn't going to be fixed so easily.

Is is possible that after the chokes loosened that you re-tightened them and cross threaded then in the process? It may also a piece of lead that worked into the threads and when (and if) you re-tightend them it locked up the threads.

By all means try all the chemicals and heating etc. but you may just have to apply a lot of force to break the choke loose, and hope it doesn't damage the threads too badly.

8. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Thanks again to all who responded. Am waiting for my order of Kroil. After soaking in Kroil, am planning to use heat gun to warm up barrel and hopefully will make it easier to loosen the choke tube. JM

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

JM- While you are waiting for your order of Kroil, get a gallon of probably the best penetrating oil available-- kerosine. Soaking the barrel in a can for a couple of hours could help.

Pat Ireland

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I agree with dickgtax, shooting with a loose choke could easily have stripped those threads. If soaking doesn't work, I'd take it to a gun smith. Best of luck, Wayne

11. STOS

STOS Member

If and when you are able to get the choke out always apply choke tube grease to the threads before installing.This will prevent this from ever happening again.

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I've have been advised to use "never-seize" on choke tubes. I have been using fixed chokes lately, so not a problem for the present. Shoot often while we can, Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.