1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help please!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by avidtrapshooter, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

Hello all,
    I am trying to make drippers for a shotmaker I am building and trying to drill about a .031 hole, but have busted a lot of drill bits. I am drilling into the head of a bolt basically the same thing as Littleton's or Stewarts shotmaker. Is there a way to take the hardness out of the bolt and weaked it a little bit? Any tips or techniques that would make this a bit easier? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    avid

2. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I found that if you had the bold out and did the drilling on a drill press this worked very nice. You need coolent fluid as it is being drilled and don't hurry the drill as it works. Rich.(inPeoria, A.Z.)

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Drop the drill bit out of the drill press chuck about 1/8" at a time and go SLOW.

4. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

What size hole will produce desired shot sizes...as in 9, 8.5, 8, 7.5?

Jed

5. avidtrapshooter

Thanks for all the info guys. From what I have found on various sources online the appropriate drill sizes are as follows:

#9-.024

#8-.031

#6-.040

These are the only exact measurements I have found so far. You could probably make a pretty good guess from the information given above though. I read somewhere that a good way to estimate hole size and be in the ballpark is to drill the hole roughly 1/3 the size of the shot you want to drop. For example a #8 is .090 in diameter so the hole in the dripper should be in the area of .030. Hope that helped a little bit.

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Avidtrapshooter, I think your off a bit on hole sizes. I have 2 sets of #8 drippers, Purchased from Magma engineering and the hole size is a #74 drill, .0225 inches.

You might try making drippers from 1/2" hot rolled hex stock. It is soft and easy to work, Worked for me. McMaster/Carr sells drill chucks for the small number sized drills. I have one that goes down to # 80 size and it can be put in a normal drill press chuck. Drilling with very small drills without a good drill press is an exercise in futility.

Jim

7. avidtrapshooter

Jim 101, you could very well be right. I actually managed to get measurements from Michael Burgess telling what me the slope and angles of the machine and attached to it was what seemed like a forum conversation and that was listed on that forum. He could of measured the holes wrong for all I know its just things I have been finding out through other people and whatever I can scrounge up online. The site in the link I have posted above is a good source for shotmaker info. Thanks for the input Jim, I will probably start with a #74 bit and if its to small I can always drill it out a bit more until I am satisfied with it.
    Zane VM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.