1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP please how to remove stuck choke tube

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by old pipe, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

This choke tube is in a MX-8 O/U barrel, its a Briley tube, 12 ga. It has the small slots, I tried with different wrenches and I twisted the teeth off one wrench. I know someone on this web will have the answer, this web has the best
    repore for helping others.
    Thank you, Howard Chang

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to send it to Briley, especially if it's a thinwall tube. They'll know just how much pressure and force will be needed, as to not damage the bbl. The tube will probably be trashed.

Doug

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you have an extended tube, merely use a file to put large slots in, and remove it with the file, or large driver.

If it is NOT an extended tube, I have had great luck with battery terminal spreaders. A picture is included. The good ones off a tool truck run about $20. Most 'smiths around here have a minimum charge that is more.

If it scores the inside of the tube, oh well!

4. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Dang ... how longs it been since it was out?

Ya know at times when a choke is really stuck in there I find that if I shoot a couple times and get that barrel warmed up that at times them stuck tubes begin to loosen up and you can begin to turn them out.

Also do you have one of those compression types of choke tools that tighten up inside of the choke and not just fit in the little slots? If you have ones of them you'll be able to get allot more pressure on that stuck choke.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Fill a coffee can half full with kerosene. Stand the barrel in the can with the choke submerged. Let it soak over night. Put the barrel in a padded vise. Use a choke wrench that has a square hole in the center that attaches to ratchet wrench or breaker bar. Should come out without too much effort. It is very important to have the right tools to do the job without causing any damage. HMB

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

A 2-3 day soak in a penetrating lubricant is step one (per PerazziBigBore). Kroll or kerosene work about equally well. If it does not come lose, then apply heat. If heat does not work, then try an hour in a freezer. Put solid firm pressure but not enough to damage the tube. Often a combination of pressure and mild tapping on the wrench will work. If none of these work, then back to a 2 day soak and keep trying.

Pat Ireland

7. Chip

Chip TS Member

Try putting your choke wrench securely tightened in a vice. Turn the barrel with the stuck choke tube against the wrench. You get a lot more leverage by turning the barrel against the wrench than by turning the wrench against the barrel.

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Heat and cold, back and forth with soaking in lube sounds like the best to me. Let me bounce this off on you and the rest of you out there. The first thing that I thought of would be the heat off a Paint Stripper heat gun. I would try the lighter setting of heat held off the gun 6-8 inches first. That would get the barrel as hot as shooting 50 rounds quickly better than any other way that I know of. $30 or so at local hardware store. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

9. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Brownell sells a choke tube remover. Maybe a gun shop in your area has one. Soaking it will help. I have one and your welcome to it.

Joe Woods/Ontario

10. fly

fly Active Member

heat works good if it is frozen due to oil & dirt, but if it is due to rust/lack of care, then some type of penetrating oil first.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Brownell's tool works every time, but is pricey for one who will not use it professionally.

I am a Briley distributor. Their thin choke tube slots are not the best idea to come around the block.

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Do NOT put the barrel in a vise - put the wrench in the vise and turn the barrels!

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Heat from a blow-torch. I've used a MAPP gas torch, just enough to get it hot, not discolor it, and then there is enough expansion that they come out.

Drip in some penetrating oil, and even ol like 3-N-1 prior.

DO NOT FORCE it out. That would be a gruiling mistake.

As Mike said above, take it easy.

WW

14. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

People still look at me funny when I'm spreading anti-seize over the entire outside of the tube before putting it in.

I had one almost rust in place. The bore solvent got under the tube and reacted with the metal (Briley installed). Came out very reluctantly, but it came out.

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Seeing most tubes are now made of stainless steel, rust can still form on the bbl in the joint. When rust forms, it expands, and in the case of a choke tube, the rust from the bbl grows to the point it will make the joint extra tight and it grabs hold of the tube.

The use of penetrating oil helps some....but generally it'll only soak in so far, because of the extremely tight seal.

I've soaked and heated stuck chokes for a week, and when I finally got them out the majority of the choke tube was still dry.

The use of a torch...MAPP gas works well. I have a fixture hanging over one of my Bridgeports that I can place the bbl in, and mount a removal wrench into the chuck. This keeps the wrench from slipping out. Then using a torch...extra caution on bbls that are soft-soldered, as is the MX-8, I heat the bbl and turn the spindle. Almost always the stuck choke will squeak and groan, but it does move. REMEMBER...the side-ribs will pop loose at 400 degrees, BE CAREFUL!!!

A solid mounting of the bbl and wrench are the key.

16. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Plug the muzzle, pour enough "Free gun": was marketed by Frenchy & Phil Frigon of Kansas'into the barrel to have an inch or more over the tube. Allow to stand muzzle down a couple of days. I did this and had an immovable choke tube spin out using a cleaning brush. It had been in the bbl. 8 + years.

17. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I clean my gun after every 500 rounds including taking out the choke tube, cleaning it separately and oiling it before putting it back in. I know a lot of guys practice european gun hygiene, but if you just cleaned the gun regularly, the tubes probably wouldn't get stuck.

BTW.
    Just out of curiosity, if you are going to leave a tube in until it rusts into place, why do you then want to remove it?

18. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

Thanks to all, I will try to remove it after our state shoot, owner wants to
    use the gun. I`ll post after removal. I know I can count on this web for answers to a problem. Aloha, thank you, Howard Chang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.