1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Picking Trap Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cimmaronkid, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

Looking for another (different) singles and handicap gun. I currently shoot a TM 1 and figured it was time for a change. I had to establish some parameters and so here they are: 1.Can’t cost over $2k (my set limit) 2.Has to have a release trigger 3.Has to have an adjustable comb 3.Has to have 34’barrels. I have found several guns and narrowed it down to a select few, and by the time I figure in adding a release trigger all these guns come to about the same. Picks are: Ljutic 73, Beretta 682, Remington 90T, and Browning BT 100. Haven’t found a Mono for my price yet as that would be a no brainer. So I need some opinions here. Also, if anyone here have any of the above guns to sell I would be interested in hearing from you as well. Pat

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My opinion is that if your budget is under 2k and you already have a TM1 you would be going backward with a different gun. Learn to shoot what you already have or be prepared to spend big bucks. Gunfit is far more important.

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

Pat, Indiana Gun Clubs website is above for your viewing pleasure. Good luck with your search, Steve or Phillip will work with you. They are open Wednesday, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays,

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

http://tinyurl.com/3dfbep

http://tinyurl.com/3357t2

Both of the above guns in the sporting/trap model are well within your budgeted amount. Heck you could actually get one of each and still be within your budget with money left over for shells. Good luck and good shooting.

5. Terry Patterson

Terry Patterson TS Member

Assuming your TM1 is in good condition with straight barrel and full choke, none of the guns mentioned will be a step up from what you have. Invest in having the stock fit to you or a new stock made for you, see if your trigger needs any work, take some lessons. These steps will gain you much more than just buying a different gun.

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I agree with those above who recommend that you get the TM 1 to fit you, add an adjustable comb if one is necessary, along with a release trigger. If you want to go full-boat, have it reblued.

As was mentined, you could also visit one of the fine stock makers and have a custom stock made.

Rollin

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Hey guys.........Old Pat doesn't want to modify the Perazzi.....He wants another gun! Nobody can have enough guns! Go Pat!

8. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

Hipshot is right. The TM 1 already has nice wood with a release, adjustable comb, and adjustable butt plate. Old Ithica import with full choke. It has been sent out and was engraved and inlayed as well. I am just looking for something different as I have never owned any of the guns I listed. Learned to shoot trap from Gene and Betty Sears, so I was well instructed also. I am able to afford about any gun I want, but these are the restrictions I have placed on myself as everyone has to have limits. I will call Indiana Gun Club when they open as I saw several there that I was interested in as well as talking to the folks at Gene Sears. I was just looking for some input an these other guns. Pat

9. Terry Patterson

Terry Patterson TS Member

Well Pat, that puts a different spin on it. If it is for an additional gun you should go to Indiana Gun Club and/or Gene Sears and shoot all of them. If you really want to have fun shoot some of the high dollar guns even though they are above your limit. You may end up raising your limit. Enjoy!

10. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

Don't really want to go to Gene's place as every time I walk in the door I leave with something costing a lot more. I admit it, I am very weaked willed when I get around a bunch of trap guns. Other problem is the wife. I have to figure in the cost of keeping her happy. Otherwise I would be looking at one of the big ticket guns.

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Tell her the gun was bought for her ... and because it was bought for her out of love that it would totally destroy you if you had to return it.

Please give your lovely wife my apologies for it not properly fitting her and then enjoy shooting whatever the very expensive gun is yourself since it fits you so much better than her.

12. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

How about a Browning BT 99 Plus with a release trigger? It usually comes with a 34 inch barrel that is factory ported and overbored, adjustable comb, adjustable butt plate for cant and length of pull, and even better, an Adjustable Rib. Might even be less than 2K? jm

13. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

JM, I retired a BT99 that was my first single barrel trap gun. I bought it used from Betty Sears in 1970 for the amazing amount of $180. Sent it to Spears and Usher Newlin installed a release for $55. Clayton Nelson cut the forcing cones and changed the pitch to zero. Appreciate the idea, but I have been there and done that.

I just got off the phone with Nadine Ljutic and she sent me to Steve at the Indiana gun club. Nadine and I knew a lot of the old time shooters from Oklahoma and I really enjoyed talking with her. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I am going to get either a X73 or Mono. Yes I know it is more money, but I found a factory Mono release worth the money and Gordon had a couple of blanks that would look real good on either gun. Would send the receiver out to have it hard satin chromed. So much for the budget. Pat

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Pat,

Enjoy your new shootin' iron!

ec90t

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Now you are talking Pat. Build it up the way YOU want it. It is far easier to shoot a gun you love. I am convinced of this. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt-100 factory pitch

terry patterson trapshoot