1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Perazzi Problem!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by everettjunior, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

I have a mx4 with a db81 barrel on it. In the past 9 shoots or so it has started to break open on its own after fired. I clean it constantly meaning before and after each shoot. I shoot new AA's and new 1 ounce loads and it does it. When closed it appears to lock up tight. If I dry fire it I cannot break it open with out moving the top lever over. The lop lever is still right of center. Seems to have plenty of catch area. Any insight would be great! Especially with Cardinal next week! If I cannot figure it out I will take it to Eyster to get it looked at.

Everett

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Clean the lube off the locking block at the bottom of the receiver! Try that!

Hap

3. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

Hap,

Thank you, I tried that tonight before the shoot from something I read on another post with out any change.

Everett

4. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I had a 101 that did it with heavy loads. I took it to a smith and he told me to clean it. If that did not work he said he would replace the top lever spring.

I took it apart as required. I got break cleaner and really gave it a good cleaning. Lightly oiled it and reassembled it. Problem was solved. Ray

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Likely it is the top lever spring. A mismatch on the block and bbl slot may contribute, but get a new spring first. If the gun is actually popping open it can result in the top lever shaft breaking and needing relpacemant. See a target gun smith right away. If the lever is right of center and partially over the wood, then the block has to be fitted.

But get a new spring first. And I shoot the slot on my TMX with lube. Lube is not th4e problem.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

was the barrel fitted to the receiver by a gunsmith or just put on?

if not fitted, any number of things could be happening

as MIA stated, check the spring first.

Their should also be gunsmiths at cardinal that can fix it..

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

You don't say where you live but there are 2 smiths in MN that are more than capable of taking care of your problem: Pat Laib and also the Gun Dr. I'm confident that either one of them would be a lot cheaper than sending it to Perazzi USA. Call either one and they will give you an estimate.

8. RobPete

RobPete Member

Doug Braker did an amazing job servicing my MX. His prices are beyond reasonable and he checked and replaced things that I didn't even think about being a problem. The gun is now like brand new(he also reblued everything and re-plated the trigger).

Rob

9. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

MIA-I am taking it to eysters today to have him take a look at it. The lever is not over the wood but it is right of center slightly when closed.

Hitapair- I live in central ohio, less then 2 miles from cardinal center in Marengo.

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

You wrote: "The lever is not over the wood but it is right of center slightly when closed."

You need a new locking block and top lever spring.

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I had the same problem. Sent it to Perazzi for a rebuild. Didn't help. Sent it back. Got it back and it worked for about 2 weeks before it started opening up again. It seemed to be intermittant, and then I noticed that it coincided when my husband (then boyfriend) would clean and prep my gun.

It was too much lube. I don't know if that is your problem, but make sure that you keep that Perazzi CLEAN and use a very light (with your finger) coating of oil.

Jerry Bryant (Flagarto) makes a very nice lube for the Perazzi called Gator Tears.

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

This sound like a classic case of locking bolt wear. You need to send it to a good Perazzi Gunsmith for repair. Suggest Giacomo, Perazzi USA and Doug Breaker. I have used them all and they are great.

Tom

13. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Your DB-81 is from the era when Perazzi was still using a 10 degree angle (or more) on the locking bolt and the locking lugs on the barrel. Others at the time were the MX-8s, MX-3s, and TM1s/TMXs. The early 90-Ts were also part of this group.

All the current guns I've checked are now between 8 & 9 degrees, closer to 8. The 10 degree angle just doesn't hold very well. As the two contacting surfaces burnished thenselves, they become quite slick, and no longer want to stick to one another(lube compounds the problem). A 7 degree angle begins a locking taper so, a fine line needs to be had for the locking bolt to hold itself to the lugs, but not so much that the top lever is too sticky or tight to move.

Installing a new spring helps with the symptom, but doesn't cure the problem. The newer spring will just lessen the top lever movement to the point of not noticing it. It's highly likely its still moving, and as Jack mentioned above, it will break the tab off from the bottom of the top lever.

The lugs on the barrel should be recut and the locking bolt ground to match. Trying to file the lugs on the barrel to a perfect, flat and even 8 degrees is near impossible. Part of that reason is the skill to run a file but mostly, you cannot measure that area with a protractor to know your at the correct angle. It's best to recut the lugs on a mill, preferrably with an 8 degree tapered cutter. The locking bolt angle can then be welded up and recut or ground, or a new locking bolt can be fitted to the receiver and then cut or ground to the barrel lugs. both surfaces must be flat to gain as much contact as possible.

Here at my shop, and I'm quite sure others as well, have had numerous older Perazzis come in that either had a new locking bolt improperly fit and/or the lugs on the barrel altered in some way...most times filed to the point that the angle is too much. I've measured barrels with as much as 25 degrees, and the locking bolt with a shallower angle. When you look closely at the barrel lugs, you can see were the front edge of the bolt has plowed up a burr or step on the barrel, impeding the bolt from moving any further forward. The lugs will need to be welded up and recut. Just as many are the opposite. The locking bolt is only making contact with the front edge of the barrel lugs. Neither one of the above will keep the gun closed.

Doug

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Since this is a different serial number/retro-fit deal (receiver and barrel) chances are:<BR>
    1. Action Block #103 is either worn out or not fitting the barrel correctly (replace it)<BR>
    2. If someone has "worked" on the Action Block, they tend to do it by hand and it is nearly impossible to keep the 7º angle on the block. Kerry Allor runs them at 8º, which isn't a bad idea.<BR>
    3. The Top Lever Spring #121 is worn out (a cheaper & quicker fix than the Action Block)<BR>
    3. Or, it is ALL of the above.

You can hit my above website and download the instructions for installing the #121. If you are handy, you should have no problem replacing the coil spring.

Whiz

15. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Nice explanation Doug.I wondered why not a steeper angle on both in order to save forward wear,but [if I read this correctly],on firing ,the barrel lugs are able to cam rearward the locking block out of engagement on as little as 10 degrees is an eye opener.No wonder the bit about thumbing your lever to save the locking block,when fit correctly.

16. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

Doug gets a tool like this, you can cut any angles perfect all the time.
    Fitting a locking bolt? Five minutes job.

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Time to dress that wheel....

18. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

Thank You everyone for all the information. I was told it should be done by next week.

Everett

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.