1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help out fellow shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    A couple weeks ago I went to a local gun club in my area and as I am getting out of my car I see an old shooting friend of mine. He said are you still shooting an 870? I said of course. He said would be interested in purchasing a 870 TB monte carlo adjustable stock? I said how much do you want for it? He said I just want to get rid of it, as I no longer shoot an 870, I'll take $75.00 for it.

I told him the stock is worth a lot more than that. He said he lost his job and could use the money, and he wanted a quick sale. I said yes, I will take it, and shook his hand on the deal. I told him I need to cash a check. I requested that he wait by his car for a few minutes as I would go into the club house to cash the check. I took the stock into the club house and asked if anyone was interested in purchasing a 870 TB adjustable stock? Two guys looked at it and they asked how much? I told them make me an offer. I sold the stock in minutes for $200.00. I told the new buyer I was helping out a friend and wanted to get an amount that the stock was worth. The buyer was happy as he said he has seen these stocks sell for more than what he was paying.

I go back out to the parking lot and I give my friend the $200.00. He said what's this for. I told him I just sold his stock for him and I am sure he could use the money. He was very happy to say the least. I told him take your wife out for dinner as I am sure she could use a night out.

I told him a story from years ago. I had purchased a field grade 870 for $150.00 at a local gun show. I lost my job shortly after that purchase and months later I still could not find a good paying full time job, taking odd jobs just to make ends meet. I then went out to the gun club to try and sell this 870 for $150.00. I had a sign attached to the gun for $150.00 and I had no buyers. I crossed the amount out and put $100.00, still no buyers and than I lowered it to $75.00. I had two young children at that time and we needed food on the table.

As I was putting the gun in my trunk a local gunsmith friend of mine said he'd like to take a look at the gun. He asked me why I was selling it so cheap? I told him why, and he reached for his wallet and gave me $150.00 for the gun. I told him I was selling it for $75.00. He said he learned long ago never to take advantage of someone that was having as hard time. He told me once I find a full time job, I could pick up the gun as he did not have any use for it.

What the man did was basically give me a $150.00 free interest loan. A month later I found a good paying full time job and picked up my gun and paid him. I wanted to give him $200.00 for the gun for what he did and he refused. He said just give me $150.00 the amount that I paid for it.

I never forgot his act of kindness, or his words of that day. Lets face it, we would all like to make some cash on a good deal, but when someone is having a hard time and they are down, possibly consider paying what the item is really worth. You will be helping out a fellow shooter and you just might feel a little better about yourself.
    Steve Balistreri

2. steele

steele TS Member

Sort of on the opposite note. Several month ago, someone on here was complaining about not being able to find any empties on the ground at the clubs & he was struggling to reload. I offered him once fired AA & STS no charge/free shipping. I filled up empty claybird boxes & shipped them UPS.
    I kept getting requests, so I kept sending them. I figured I sent out over 20,000 empties, to guys who I thought needed them. Then I got a "wakeup" email from another TS'r. 6 of the guys that requested the empties, were selling them. Some guys will take advantage of anything.
    It's stories like yours that keep the sport running.

3. senior smoke

MUZZLEBLAST:
    You should be commended for helping fellow shooters out. No matter what sport we are in, you will have a small percentage of people who will take advantage. With that being said, I sincerely believe that most shooters in general are very good, honest, people.
    Steve

4. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Along the same lines recently there was a post on here. A gentalman had just had eye surgery or something and did not need his presciption lenses anymore. He was asking about some Post 4 lenses. I had several shades of lenses that I did not use. He gave me his address, I sent him four pairs of lenses. He asked how much I wanted and I told him it cost a little over $5.00 for shipping and asked for $6.00. He sent me $25.00 and a thank you note. I was glad to help out a fellow shooter and hope that he gets some use out of the lenses that I was not using. In my short time as a trap shooter.I have met some of the most friendly and helpful people I have ever been around. I hope to meet many more. Jim Bradbury

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Good for you SS, and others. The only way to get out of a depressed economy is to give more than you get. You are part of the solution. Thanks for that!

I have seen a few guys in tight financial positions try to sell their guns. I've always offered to buy the gun, and sell it back to them when they get on their feet. I've only ever had one guy take me up on it. He bought another gun later, and didn't want his old one back. Still, he was grateful for the offer, and I was grateful to be able to make it.

Helping those down on their luck should be normal, not the exception. Those that take advantage of some one's charity are the lowest form of bug.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

SENIOR_SMOKE: Great, heart warming story.

I too was down on my luck many years ago in my early twenties when my father was killed. I quickly learned that there are two kinds of people in this world. I liken it to walking down the street, tripping, and falling down. One person remarks, "Have a nice trip?" and the other person asks, "Can I help you up?"

I've seen that happen here on this site at well. The guy who was selling the paper hulls for 11ยข each. Not the SAME scenario, but, to me, similar.

I also learned many years ago when I was hiring workers, I should really consider the prospective employee who NEEDED the job, versus the candidate who just wanted a better paying job, and may have been more qualified. I never had one single worker take advantage of me when I hired the one needing the work. In fact, as the years passed it seemed that they never forgot what I did. Best accidental lesson I ever got.

I also had a couple of guys recently "take" me for some P/W stuff. One guy bought a new EZ-Fill from me, then called to say the base was busted in shipment. I shipped him a new replacement and asked to have the old one returned in my box when he got the new one. What he didn't know it that I surface almost all my EZ-Fills before I ship them to insure they are 100% flat on the bottom. The returned unit had been used (which could not have been had he received it broken as it was), AND was not surfaced. I never said a word until now, but I did put him on my "Sorry, but I'm all out" list.

WW

7. senior smoke

I have read each thread response and it shows just how good most shooters are to one another.
    Steve

8. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

SS - I could read stories like that all night long - brings tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing. Brian

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

MUZZLEBLAST, you are to be commended also for helping the guy needing hulls!!

The others must live with themselves for taking advantage of your generosity! Those guys are classified as gherks in my view!!

Hap

10. high 2

high 2 Member

It`s called CLASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not alot of it around any more. Kudos to you guys. Larry

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I used to haul a 5th wheel around quite a bit. I never relied on the Good Sam books etc. knowing anywhere I was and if I had an incident, breakdown, or whatever, I'd just pull out the ATA average book, call a trapshooter, and know that I'd either be directed to a nearby club or someone's own property where I could set up a temporary camp. I never had to prove my theory but that's what I assumed from a brother, or sister, trapshooter. I have had many friends on TS.Com make such an invitation if I'd just make the trip through. I reluctantly admit that my plans to tour the lower 48 and meet all the buddies I've made here went sour along with health and the economy issues. Still got the Power Stroke puller but nothing to hang from the back. Thanks for the story Steve......breakemall

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Steve, I always knew I liked you, now I realize why

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Steve, I thank you for your good works.

14. senior smoke

I am very proud to be in the trap shooting fraternity. I am at awe when I see how much trap shooters donate to charity at shoots around the country. One of the nicest compliments I ever received on behalf of shooters came from an anti gunner, years ago.

A woman who use to be my boss hated, I mean actually hated guns, and people who shot guns even for target practice. We were friends prior to her finding out that I was a trap shooter. I had just returned from vacation and she asked me what I did on my vacation? I told her I took my family to the Waukesha state shoot which I participated, and we all had a real good time. She said what kind of parent takes his wife and children to a shoot, where people shoot guns?

I told her we all know each other and we felt safer there than at the local shopping mall. She told me that she could never feel the same about me after that. She attended college in Houston and she married her professor. One day a foreign exchange student came into her class where her future husband was teaching. This young man was upset with a grade he received and started shooting. Her future husband was hit in the shoulder and has a permanet injury where he can not lift his arm. I think one kid was killed and a couple more wounded. After this, they eventually got married and became anti gunners. They would spend most weekends going to book stores, taking all gun magazines and turning them around and file them where people would not purchase them.

Over the next month she told me that she would no longer consider me for promotions due to my involement in guns. She was unaware that her boss and I shot on a Wednesday night league together. One day after shooting he asked me how things were going at work as he was the one who orginally hired me? Reluctintly, I told him what happened. The next morning he had us both in his office and she admitted to everything that she said to me. She was eventually transferd to another depoartment. I ran into her and her husband at a local mall a year later after she left the company and said that she did a lot of research about target shooters and found out that we donated as a whole a lot of money to the Diabetes association, which her husband also had Diabetes. She thanked me and shooters a like, but said she still hates guns.

Steve

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I was personally touched by the number of shooters from TS.Com.. that tracked me down after Katrina and offered to help me any way they could.. It gave me alot of hope for the world we live in.. I must say the Clem Meyers from Lake Charles led the pack.. How he found me.. and called me at my wifes,mothers house I will never know... All Good.. Mike

16. senior smoke

Mike:
    Like I have always said, "We are very lucky to be members of the greatest fraternity in all of sport". I have told every new shooter that I have ever met, that if they ever have their vehicle break down, or need help in any way, ask where is the nearest gun club, and tell them you are a shooter and need help, and you will be helped by friends.
    Steve

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It basically comes down to being nice to people in general. Seems the world is so fast paced that there is no time to be nice to each other anymore. Holding a door for someone, or saying hi. I was stuck one time in my big truck on a soft shoulder of the road backing up in a driveway in Medford, Wisconsin. A guy happened to drive by the road in a little flat bed duely and looked down our way, as you could not see me from that road he was traveling. He turned around and came down the road. Backed up to the front of my truck, got out, pulled some chains out of his tool box and said, "We will get you going in no time". He gave me a couple yanks, pulled me straight. I of course was over-joyed, because it was out in the middle of the woods. I got out to shake hands while he pulled his chains off. I offered money and he said, "I don't accept money, but I ask that you return the favor the next time you see someone on the side of the road". I have since returned the favor many times over, just because of the feeling I had when I seen that truck pull up to my vehicle and offer help. I have been offered money also for my time and consideration of which I replied the same as this gentlemen had done. Generosity is cheap. It just seems society does not have time for it anymore. Jon

18. senior smoke

Jon:
    Great story.
    Steve

19. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

In this sport many shooters help out their fellow shooters but don't find it necessary to mention it.

BB

20. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

There are a lot of times in life when people need help. Hopefully we all do what we can and Shooters seem to put more value on helping others.

Ajax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.