1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help/Opinion, Please: shells not firing first time

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EXFDX, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

I recently purchased a used KolarA/T. It will not reliably fire Estate or Federal papers. Estates are worse but about three Federals per box won't fire - I know, one too many! But the primer is always dimpled. The odd thing is that they will ALWAYS fire the second try. Please note that hammer springs and firing pin have been replaced by a gunsmith. The problem was much worse before the hammer springs were changed out, but even after that and the new pin, there are still intermittent no-fires. Interestingly, I have never had this problem with either factory or my own reloads of Nitro 27's! They fire every single time with no problems. I use Win 209's in my reloads if that matters.

One thinng I have noticed that may be important: when I check the no-fires, the primer strike always seems off-center.

Thanks,

Doc

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Doc, Not to sound like a prick.. but.. I would send the gun back to Kolar and tell them it will not fire factory ammo. Factory ammo is made to SAAMI specs and should fire in all guns with the proper chamber length. That is a pretty nice gun to not fire factory loaded ammo. Jeff

3. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Thanks, Jeff and I don't disagree with you at all. No prick at all. But I am curious about the possible causes. I do believe you have nailed the ultimate solution.

Thanks,

Doc

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try increasing the firing pin travel a few thousandths of an inch. HMB

5. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

I wouldn't have to worry about primer puncture? Most - by far - of these shells do detonate first time. I guess I'm wondering about setting it too deep. But I do appreciate the input and I'll check in to it. Thanks. Still wondering about the cause. And why do they always fire second time around? Just seems like there is something intermittent going on but I can't figure out what.

Doc

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The misfires probably fire on the second attempt because the first attempt has dented the primer cap slightly so that the second strike has less resistance for the firing pin to smash the priming mixture against the primer's anvil.

A new gun should reliably fire all factory ammo. As a guess, the chamber is slightly out of specification and shells are seated too deep for reliable firing.

Years ago I had a Savage 550 side by side single trigger 20 gauge that would not fire the first barrel reliably. The second barrel always fired. A competent gunsmith carefully measured the firing pin holes in the receiver face and found that they were not parallel. The gun would fire 95% of the time with Winchester shells but would not reliably fire Federal shells in the first barrel.

A friend really wanted the side by side so I sold it to him cheap with the disclosure of the problem. He liked Winchester shells anyway so that solved the problem for both of us.

Ed Ward

7. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

I think Kolar would be very suprised find out that you have a Kolar AT This must be a expermential model..They Make TA and also a single barrel called a TS..If you are having problems send the gun back to KOLAR..They will be hapy to see that you are a satified customer..They are one of the best for service.

8. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I had a similar problem with a Citori XT. Every unfired shell was dimpled. Cleaned and lightly lubed the firing pins. That was 2 years ago and have not had a single no fire since.

9. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Thanks everyone. And sorry Palos, I thought I said "T/A" but reversed it. I was a little disappointed when I found out what the "T/A" stood for! ;-)

I'll clean and lightly lube the pin and see what happens.

Doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.