1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help-one more time to ship a handgun

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

One more time, I need help on shipping a gun(handgun)! I need to ship a handgun to a gunsmith for repair work! I would prefer using the post office! According to the "guru" there, I have to use a ffl holder to fill out paper work and ship it?! I think he is wrong, but maybe I am?! Let me know asap please! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

To ship handguns out of state via USPS they must be shipped from an FFL to an FFL.

UPS and FedEx will ship handguns to an FFL but you must show them a copy of the receiver's FFL so they can check and verify that the addresses match.

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

You may ship a handgun directly to an FFL yourself, but you must ship via a "common carrier" (either UPS or Fedex). You cannot ship a handgun via USPS yourself. In the case of either UPS or Fedex, they will require you to ship the firearm via overnight, and costs will be pretty high (some $50-$80) typically. If have a friendly and helpful FFL handy, they will often ship a handgun for you, usually for a lot less in handling and shipping costs since an FFL can ship via USPS, and it does not have to be overnite shipping. In either case, the receiving FFL/Gunsmith/Manufacturer can return the handgun directly to you. It does not have to come back via an FFL as long as it is the same handgun. If you choose to ship yourself via UPS or Fedwx, it is wise to check with them (personally or via website) for specific packing, identification, etc rules of the carrier before taking the package to them for shipping.

Jim R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.