1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help on Win Model 50 auto

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OLD ONE EYE, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I need to know if the bolt should stays open after the last shot or the trigger is pulled.
    Thanks Buddy

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My 20.ga doesn't.

3. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Yes it should stay open. If it doesn't it may be out of adjustment/time. Hap Mc wrote a very good treatise on the M50/59 sometime back. I sent it to you in a PM.

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Thanks ou3200 I thought it was from Hap and replied so many thanks to you and Hap . Barry Roach needs this info also as his 20 is out of time also.
    Buddy

5. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Go on the internet and do a search for "Winchester model 50 Manaul" It will tell you all you need to know. Took Me about 5 minutes to fix my Model 59. M

Mike

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Here's a fix for timing the models 50 and 59s.

(Remove the butt plate or recoil pad,remove wire retainer,close bolt,screw in slotted plug till bolt won't lock in the rearward position,back off the plug till bolt will lock by pulling back hard on the bolt handle,once you find that point continue backing off the plug about one and three quarters to two and a half turns. You'll want about one sixteenth to one eight of an inch of rearward bolt travel. This was taken from my own experience and from the Encyclopedia of Modern Firarms,Parts and Assembly,Vol.1)

Hap

7. Barry C. Roach

Thanks Hap. Mine has never stayed open but I bought it used and didn't know any better. I'll do your thing and try it that way only I've only used this little gem for about 50 years now and the pheasants it dispatched did care. d:eek:}

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Barry, there's a good chance the "bow-tie" wire came loose and allowed the aluminum plug to move forward not allowing the action to lock back.

BTW, Wolfe recoil action springs are the best replacement springs I've found to keep my Win. 50s and 59s going strong. Both models of these dandy shotguns need to be kept properly timed or either type of receiver, steel or alloyed will crack!! I know this first hand as I cracked two before learning how to keep these light recoiling guns operating!

Hap

9. Barry C. Roach

I'll do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.