1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help on S&W Model 10-6

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FIB, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I inherited a S&W Model 10-6 nickel plated 4" revolver chambered in .38 S&W. The barrel appears to be a "bull" barrel or heavy barrel. The serial number is D 7108xx. Can anyone provide me with information about this pistol? When was it made? Can I safely shoot +p ammo. thru it? Idea of value? Thanks in advance.

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

38 S&W is shorter than the 38 special and no where near plus P. Jeff

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

There were 14 engineering changes to the model 10. So yours would be in the middle range of production and according to the Blue Book you should be able to shoot +P ammo. The 4 inch model production began in 1992.

Steve

4. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

The S&W Mod. 10 with a serial number in the range you mentioned was made in 1975-76. It is a .38 S&W Special. Value depends upon condition, box included, etc. Go to the S&W Forum and post there if you want detailed info., but be prepared to post pictures if you want lots of info. As a SWAG, do not sell for <$300.

5. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Just do a google search for "S&W Model 10-6" It will bring up gobs of info.

The model 10 Heavy barrel is my favorite 38.

Late model Model 10s are capable of handling any .38 Special cartridge produced today up to and including +P+ rounds.

tom

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

It will be a 38 special, designated on barrel as 38 S&W Special....plus P is fine...this is the same basic frame as the M19 which is a 357 although Smith claims it has different heat treatment.

7. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

There really is no good reason to shoot +p ammo out of it, std 38 special lead hp's will do the job nicely. It is proven that 357 mags are hard on K frames so why shoot plus p's which are trying to be magnums? If you wannt to shoot heavy loads go with the L frame.

8. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks guys for the info. You are correct it is .38 SPECIAL CTG not .38 S&W.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The model 10-6 was first made in 1962, that was the year that S&W eliminated the screw in front of the trigger guard on the heavy barrel model. It was called the military and police heavy barrel model. The D in the serial number stands for 38 double action. It is a K frame gun. HMB

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

We used to pull the barrels off and put douglas heavy barrels with ribbed sights (aristocrat). for Police Combat matches....

11. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks to everyone for their replies. This is a great site and I do truly appreciate you guys taking the time help a fellow shooter out. Regards,...Randy Price

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

They really do shoot in all ranges of accuracy-- the barrels werent up to todays standards but every now and then you did get one that really shot

I had one in my military armory that shot an inch and a half at 25 yardswith the full jacketed military round--- I always wished there was a way I could have purchased that one

regards from Iowa

Gene

13. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Plus P is nowhere near as high in pressure as .357 magnum, probably about half. Perhaps a man has "only" a model 10. Shooting plus Ps will do nothing to harm it.

I often suggest wadcutters for "in the house" guns, however. Not likely to go through two walls and the neighbor's dog, but two or three in the boiler room and most nasties will give up and lay down.

Agreed, the L frame was built to take the punishment of 357s that K frames weren't but maybe our poster doesn't want to spend the extra bucks. To each his own.

14. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

The model 10-6 was not certified for plus p ammo, that is my point. Much newer models yes but not that one.

15. Lightning Bob

Lightning Bob TS Member

Smith @ Wesson says any K frame with a model number is OK with plus p ammo

16. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

I wasnt aware of that Bob thanks for the info, I still wouldn't shoot it in a gun made before that ammo was developed. I still don't see a reason for it, std 38 pressure loads will do everything a 38 is needed for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

s&w 10-6 nickel plated heavy barrel 38

s&w mod 10-6 nickel plated 4 inch barrell sn d605993

s&w model 10 engineering changes

s&w model 10-6 heavy barrell

s&w model 10-6 nickel

smith & wesson 10-6 4 inch 38 value