1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Help On S & W K-22 Pistol Value (Sold)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshooteraa27aa, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Active Member

I have a nice older smith & wesson k-22, 22 cal pistol. Serial number is 50026 under the cylinder on the frame and has the number k 55027 on the metal band on bottom side of the walnut grips. Guns is probably %85 with honest wear. Pretty clean gun overall. Not sure if its pre or post war and need an honest value. May sell if price is right.
    Chris
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. OldGoat

OldGoat Active Member

You have a nice early gun with diamond grips; not collector value based on condition and unless you have the original box, paperwork, and tools. I was recently offered $400 for mine which is a newer updated model (17-3) in 98%+ condition in the original box with original paperwork and cleaning kit. This was a "lowball" offer from a dealer...I figure mine is worth at least $600. I would "guessimate" yours in the $500 vicinity...others will have their own opinions. Best Regards, Ed
  3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Nice looking post-war 5-screw. I've had a few of those in 6". There's an empty spot in the safe waiting for another.
  4. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Active Member

5. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I would say around $550 if the screws are unbuggered (which they appear to be). Nice K22.

bluedsteel
  6. trapshooteraa27aa

Screws are unbuggered. Looks like this gun is going for around the $550 to $650 on gunbroker. Mines in better shape then the pics. Needs a good cleanning. If someone is interested with a good offer id be tempted to sell it. Rather sell here then go to gunbroker.
    Chris
  7. mikey357

mikey357 Member

I'd agree on a Value of somewhere between $475 and about $550...HTH....Mike S.
  8. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

Chris, you might want to try posting it in the classifeds on the S&W Forum. I don't know if it would bring more there but you would be advertising to the right audience. They seem to place an added value on pre-model number revolvers.

Ed
  9. elinvar

elinvar Member

You have a nice late mid- 50's K-22 target masterpiece (pre-model 17). 5 screw frame. These are loved by all us S&W fans.
    Yours looks pretty good- The grips are probably numbered to the gun if you look.
    I would put yours in the $500-550 range without the box etc.
    If serious about selling let me know.

Terry Jones
    tgunvault@mediacombb.net
  10. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Member

I love those old 5-screw K-22's. I have three of them, from 1947 to 1953. Great guns.

I will say this: What they ASK on Gunbroker isn't always what they SELL FOR on Gunbroker..... I believe what Sagamo and Mikey357 are telling you is about right.

Mike
  11. scott starks

scott starks TS Member

Pete and I have been selling my Fathers Smith collection for a few months now. I have found that "what's it worth" depends on what someone will pay. There are lots of reference materials to get you started. I believe your gun is post war, 1948. That makes it's book value about half that of pre-war. Condition is the biggest variable. People SHOT .22's! Most value books don't even list prices for old K-22's graded above 80%, they let the market determine.
    Here is a picture of our K-22. It was made in 1938. Pete graded it at 80-85. We have it listed for 700. We had a collector look at it the other day and said he would have paid double for mint, but didn't want to pay 700 for 85%.

[​IMG]
  12. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

It was made in 1947. 51XXX sits a foot away from where I peck this. The gun seems to have been carried more than shot. The blue loss on each side of the bbl is caused by holster wear. Jiggling around in a factory box a lot does this,too. Shooting a lot would be shown by blue loss on the ejector rod. Some also by a deepening cylinder line but really good timing prevents this to an extent. Interesting thing about the gun is the multi-line address on the right side forward part of the frame. A smaller,bit earlier group of K-22's had a single line address--"MADE IN U.S.A.". Mine does. Very desirable. You have to see if the grip #'s match the gun. Really helps a sale & add $25 up. Back out the grip screw but leave threaded. Gently tap to break grip away from frame. #'s should match gun #. Yours is worth about $550-575. Add above for matching grip #'s. Easist sale is S&W Forum(free)but you need very clear pics. PM me if you need any more info. Tom
  13. trapshooteraa27aa

Thanks for all the help on my gun. Its been sold oending receipot of funds.
    Chris
  14. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Member

They must have made a heck of a lot of K-frames in 1947. My K-22 is K 4XXX and it was shipped in late 1947. 47,000 numbers in between in one year! Wow.

Incidentally, mine has the one line address. Mike
  15. scott starks

scott starks TS Member

K Series K Frames (Adjustable Sight Models)

K101 – K614……………......1946
    K615 – K18,731…………....1947
    K18,732 – K73,121……..…1948

Mike, I believe the chart above shows your gun to be a 1947. His is 1948. Unless the chart I have is inaccurate. You are right about "what they list for" and "what they sell for". I see lots of pre k-22's like mine list for 900+. The listings never go away.
    Chris, you don't have to tell, but I am curious on how much your offer was.
    Scott Starks
  16. trapshooteraa27aa

Scott, Sent you an email.
    Chris
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.