1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help on relaoding with red dot powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leadhead358, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I would like to reload the (24 gram internatinal loads) that alliant has on their site using 20 grain red dot powder, AA hulls, win 209 primer and cb1100-12 wads. I have about 5 lbs of red dot powder to use up and 1500 wads. The problem is with a mec reloader there is no 24 gram bar that I know of and with a 7/8 oz bar it is just above the 24 gram weight on the shot. I called alliant and they said I should not use the recipe with a 7/8 oz bar. I know they are covering their butts. I would like to keep the speed 1345 to 1300. I have since switched to nitro hulls, remington tgt12 wads, win 209 primers and international powder to give me a speed of 1340 to 1400 fps.. I can't beleive the difference between the powders alliant powder varied .3 to .9 on drops. The international is very consistant .1 to .2 at most. Any help on the above would be appreciated. Thanks Tom

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

call mec and they will custom cut you a bar for 5.00 extra

bill

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

You might weigh the charges off your bar before ordering another. Most bars throw light. If not, try the Skeet bar for the 20 ga. They often throw a little less.

I have heard of folks tailoring their bars with coats of fingernail polish. I have never had to do this. A couple of tenths of a gram is allowable. 24.4 or so grams is allowable in competition. The difference in shot is only a couple of pellets.

Use of a PC powder baffle might help your consistency on powder drops. I sually get +- .2 gr with most any powder. Using a bottle that is coated with graphite from having shot in it will reduce static cling.

4. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I wouldn't worry about it as 7/8 oz is less than 24 grams by about 4 number 8 shot. BRGII

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

leadhead358:

For what its worth, 7/8 ounces is actually 24.8058 grams - a tad overweight by 3.3575%.

Coach has the right idea. Weigh several shot drops and see how close to 7/8 oz. they really are. If they're consistently light, you may be good to go.

As a reminder, antimony weighs less than lead. Hard shot with 6% antimony or so, will weigh lighter than chilled shot. With that load, it sounds like you'd want hard shot anyway.

Good luck and good shooting.

sissy

6. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I think that you will find that a 7/8 oz bar will drop just about 24 grams, as they usually drop a little light because of the antimony content. In any event, it is so close as to make any difference meaningless.

The same goes for the powder charge......if it is OK and safe for 24 grams, it will be OK and safe with 7/8 oz.

The CB1278 (?) (grey) wad is designed for 7/8 loads and might produce a little better crimp.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

If you don't go the adjustable bar route, put a piece of Electrician's tape (good quality, like 3M) inside the shot measuring cavity of the bar. A Hornady factory rep told me that trick to fine tune drops. I use it all the time. In fact, one of the shot bushings I use regularly has a piece of tape stuck to the inside for the last three years. You don't have to worry about it falling out. It won't. Just the opposite in fact. When you go to change it it is a bear to get out.

You won't need much. You want to get down to 375 grains (24g).

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

PerazziBigBore has posted some info on his bunker loads recently. He has had some pressure and velocity testing done and he would be a good resouce for advice. He has experimented with many different wads and hulls, but has stayed with the 24gram, 7/8oz loads for a lot of his shooting. I believe he said he has shot about 50,000 of them recently. Most of his loads used Promo powder and it is almolst identical to Red Dot, except for the density and the bushings you would need. He can give you some details on chokes and patterning. I had obtained similar results while patterning some of my loads, so his notes on wads would be valuable, especially for loads at those velocoties. Your choice of wad would not be my first choice for longer yardages or the high velocities you are loading to. I have used the Federal 12S0 with better results in patterning at the higher velocities. They seem to stand up a lot better. Kevin at Downrange also is a good resource to contact. He has done a lot of testing and can give you some good advice about wads and other variables in shotshell loading.

I have a 7/8 oz skeet bar for my Mec that throws a little light with 8s or 8 1/2s of hard shot. Chilled shot was still a pellet or two light. It's about right on with Lawrence chilled 9s.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I too, prefer the CB 2100, which is the 12SO clone, for 24 and 28 gram loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.