1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help on post 1

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mooner, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooner

mooner TS Member

Looking for help on post 1. This station is driving me nuts. I usually shoot in the low to mid 90's. However almost all my misses are at post 1. This weekend I dropped a total of 6 targets, 5 were at post 1 (4 straightaways)
    I shoot right handed, and am left eye dominant. I use a patch on my left lens.
    My hold point is about a foot off the front corner of the house. I was missing hard lefts so I moved my hold point over so I could catch up with the target. This has helped tremendously on the hard lefts. However the straitaways are my nemesis.
    My hold point used to be on the front corner of the house and I still was missing the straightaways.
    I'm going to the club tomorrow and shoot several rds at post 1. Any suggestions on what I should practice on would be greatly appreciated.
    Thx for your time

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Mooner, (love that name), are you binding your body on the swing to the hard left? JUst a thought. Gne J

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Get a coach to stand behind you, watch you and tell you what your doing wrong.

You could also have the trap set and locked so that all you get is straight aways or hard rights or whatever you desire and figure it all out with a coach standing behind you suggesting what you should do to correct your problems.

Have you considered buying a new gun and having an adjustable comb and butt put on it and then ... well ... you know the rest. A new gun will fix the problem.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mooner.....Don't make it any harder than it is. From post 1, set up for the straightaway target to begin with. You will find that you will have no trouble with them, and the angle target will be very easy to catch and swing through.... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I used to have exactly the same problem, now I just kill that target. I could not get the angle of intersect right by moving the gun at an upward angle to the straights from 1 & 2. Here is how I fixed it.

Set the trap to throw the hard right. From post one, call the target and then SLIDE your gun horizontally over to where the target has emerged from the house and THEN lift the gun up to catch up with the target. From 1, keep your barrel to the left side of the target on the lift because if the trap is set correctly you will have an inside angle. From 2, you should have to work to the right of the hard right because it should be an outside angle.

After about 100 targets, the slide move became natural and now I don't even think about it. When you get the move grooved, put the trap back on oscillate and shoot another 100 getting used to the "surprise" of the straight presentation.

PS. Rather than a foot outside, try a lower hold right on the corner. That will get your hard left emerging above your sightline and you won't feel you are so far behind the target and it will shorten your move to the straights.

6. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Target panic has set in. The more you miss, the more you brian tells you to jump at that hard left as soon as you see it. Do the opposite. Hold the gun perfectly still while your eyes lock on the target and move away from the rib, then go get it. Instant smoke.

7. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I have had the same problem what I had to do was open my stance up some that did help me.Try that what do you have to loose another target is all.

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

To those of you who can't comprehend what you read. Which target is he having trouble with, the hard left or the hard right from 1? Sheesh

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

If the club you're shooting at has the trap setup right you'll have no straight aways. You should be shooting slightly to the left of the target from 1 and slight right of it from 5. For a true straight away you'd have to stand between post one and 2. Same thing applies to post 5. You'd have to stand between post 4 and 5 for a true straight away. Although in reality there will never be a true straight away because the trap machine itself causes spin on the target giving it a slight slice affect. Hope this helps athough I'm sure we'll have some who disagree.

10. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

No disagreement on my end, hoggy. I've watched the target on many occasion curve to the left on straightaways from post 3. Since my gun shoots to the left by 4+ inches at times, I had to point at the lower right corner of the target to break it consistently. Now I mis-align the beads when setting up to get the gun to shoot straight and have had great success.

Mike

11. ismah

ismah Member

Mooner, It's easier for a right handed shooter to swing to his left. You might be lining up too much to your left but it sounds to me you're thinking too much. "Don't think and shoot as fast as you can" You'll hit more targets.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Sheesh Joe, I wasn't referring to you. Your post IS about the right target from 1. It is all the posts that are only about the hard left to which I was referring. lol

13. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

Had this problem also. I found I was moving my gun left before target came out (anticipating hard left). This cause me to make a arcing move towards the target. I was missing high right. Coming from the bottom up to the target is key. Also, I started aiming dead center of target until I got my confidence back, then front edge. This probably goes without saying but you probably are lifting your head a bit just before your pulling the trigger. At least that's what I have a tendency to do when I'm psyched out on a target. Good luck. Josh Andersen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
hold point post 1 trap shooting

post 1 trap trouble

trap missing at station 1