1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help on Lubing an Older BT-99

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Church Key, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

I just bought a BT-99 made in 1987 that's been stored in a safe for 15+ years. I cleaned and lubed it (locking bolt, cocking lever, etc.), but the top lever does not want to snap back to center. I can easily push it there, but it does not go all the way on its own. Is there an easy way to lube the mechanism or is it off to the gunsmith?

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

Try spraying under the top lever with Gun Scubber or other cleaner and in the action where the lever shaft enters the action along with the return spring. You may have to do it several times as the gunk might be set hard. If that does not work it could be a weak return spring.

3. chemist

chemist Member

Have a BT 99 combo- bought it under same situation-stored for a long time in case- I took off the recoil pad and stock- cleaned the springs and metal parts with wd 40, let sit for a while, then a good gun solvent- work the lever back and forth and see if that helps-LIGHTLY oil with rem oil-check for rust and gooey old lube- helped mine- also if you have the Browning case use some drier sheets in one of the compartments and it takes away the musty smell- if you are not mechanical take to a local gunsmith- great gun for the price-

rich( real name as suggested when submitting a reply )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.