1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help on BT-99+ Comb

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EXFDX, Sep 1, 2013.

1. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

I have a BT-99+ that I dearly love, but I have a problem with the comb and I'm hoping I can get some ideas. The sleeves inside the comb which hold the two retaining screws that attach the comb to the posts are worn, and the retaining screws (even replacement screws) no longer fit well and frequently one will fall out altogether. I wouldn't mind replacing the whole comb if someone had one they would part with. But I am open to ideas.

Thanks.

Steve

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I would think any decent gunsmith/machinist could drill and tap the sleeves for the next larger size of set screw. I'm pretty sure they are metric size/thread, but if an American would be the next larger size there no reason not to use it. The holes in the wood would become a bit larger, but I'd bet no one else would even notice it. Anyone with a supply of set screws, taps and drill bits could likely fix it in 10-15 minutes. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

3. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Thanks, Bob. That was sort of my first plan to just tap it out and go up a size. Still wondering if a replacement comb might be out there somewhere? At this point a back-up part would probably help.

Steve

4. himejim

himejim Member

I have a 99 plus also with a different comb problem. The browning posts are a cheap aluminum and the set screws have really tore up the posts. In fact, the comb always comes loose. I don't want to loc-tite the set screws as I move the comb based on target height. But I am sure tired of always tightening the set screws or worse having it come loose during an event.

Tom Larkin told me he used to have a source for replacement steel posts. He is looking for a new source.

5. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Thanks, SSTG. I'll contact Graco!

Steve

6. vatrap

vatrap Member

Be sure to use teflon washers under the comb to support the height, don't expect the set screws to support the adjustments.

Mike

7. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

Ken Rucker, converted a couple for me and never a problem afterwards... Browning comb hardware (at least on the BT's and other) was total junk compared to the replacment Hdw. Stuart Wright can also do the job also.

MC

(My Experience) (Mileage may vary)

8. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Get a hold of Tron! His specialty is adjustable combs. Master craftsman, fast turnaround and reasonable prices.

Chuck

9. Ibjamin

Ibjamin Member

Good morning Steve, I also have a BT-99 that I love and I have Comb adjustment problems. The holes for the set screws are wearing out like yours. I am going to have a Graco system installed which solve the screw problem plus gives adjustment for cast on and cast off. A quick fix I used for the loose screws is to remove the screws and place part of a flat toothpick in the holes. Replace screws, but do not over tighten screws. Again this a temporary fix.

Randall

Search tags for this page
browning bt 99 plus comb problems
bt 99 adjustable comb comes loose

bt 99 comb adjustment

bt 99 plus comb loose
fix for bt 99 plus new comb
how do i know how to set the comb on my bt 99